[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any teachers here? Would you recommend it as a career path?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: drjones.jpg (44KB, 896x379px) Image search: [Google]
drjones.jpg
44KB, 896x379px
Are there any teachers here? Would you recommend it as a career path?
>>
Not a teacher, but I know it's something you REALLY want to do to be happy doing it.
>>
File: 1501353030431.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1501353030431.gif
1MB, 320x240px
It is great work.
>>
Dog shit pay but it seems comfy
>summers off
>10 months pay stretched over 12 months
>'respected' career
>steady paychecks
>qt grills if youre a guy

could be worse. Seems like such a default career, but a career nonetheless.

And like first post said, helps if you're one of those who truly desire to teach young children.
Like we've all had one, maybe 2 of those teachers in our lives ever.
>>
>>18576825

it depends on the neighborhood a lot. i am not a teacher but i was a military child. I moved around a LOT.

Private schools and military schools and the like pay the best, and they tend to have the most well behaved kids. i mean they're total dicks when you're not around, but they take their studies more seriously.

in a military school it would be like 2 or 3 bad kids per class who were causing trouble. in public schools it was mostly 2 or 3 good kids who weren't causing trouble per class.

working with kids all day can be frustrating just because its working with a room full of kids. high schoolers can be easier but they're more free thinkers so the conflicts are more real.
>>
Only if you're legitimately passionate about it and are a good public speaker
>>
If you're ok with social justice, bitchiness and politicking, it's fine.

Make sure you're fucking good at it, and make sure you're not a pussy bitch about it:

In teaching more than most fields, you can be really successful and make good money and be respected but you won't feel any satisfaction if the kids don't learn. Even if they do, you might not feel any satisfaction, because they might not like you. They might hate you.

You may have to deal with 5 years in a row of kids that hate you.

You gotta be able to handle that and keep your cool.

You have to know when to be cool+friendly, and when to put down your foot. Small misstep in either direction and they lose all respect for you.

Source: I'm at a teacher's convention rn
>>
>>18576841
>Dog shit pay
This meme really needs to end. Teachers usually make solidly middle class wages. The argument I always hear is that teachers make less compared to their level of education, but that's hardly a problem that's confined to teachers. Every other profession where that's the case gets told to suck it up and deal with it as a consequence of choosing a career you love. Plus, like you said, teachers have summers off, so the pay is pretty good considering that.

I have more education than most teachers and I make less. I'm okay with it because I do something I love and can live on it. I can understand the need to complain, but teachers take it a little too far. Plenty of people would kill to make as much as teachers do. If you get to do a job you like and can live off the pay, be happy. If you don't like teaching, find another job.
>>
>>18576847
I would consider myself to be a great public speaker but I'm not so sure if my passion alone can take me through a few decades of teaching before I retire. My main concerns are whether there will be enough employment for me and if I will find the work stimulating enough to not get bored or sick of it 20 years in. I do love working with anyone younger than me and I know for sure I can motivate people into learning. Funny enough, I hated almost all my teachers when I was a student and how they taught. I'm striving to be an English/Literature teacher for high school.

>>18576831
>>18576834
>>18576841
>>18576844
>>18576851
>>18576902
Thank you for your inputs.
>>
>>18576929

id argue that being a teacher is more stimulating than other jobs. for one you get pretty good vacation time to just wind down. i mean imagine being an adult with summer vacations? being able to just do your own thing in the summers or if you want more money taking a summer teaching position and such. you get all the long holidays that the kids do too, minus a few here and there so thats pretty cool.

you're supposed to stay late to grade papers and shit, but you can consolidate that process to make it fast and just duck around or work on a hobby in the classroom.

the students change every year, so you'll get a fresh start too.
>>
>>18576825
I have an uncle that works for LAUSD (los angeles unified school district) and he can't stand the politics, terrible children, no punishments at all for misbehavior and the kids knowing it, railroading unprepared kids into graduation, gang involvement in schools, untouchable kids from their high ranking gang family who do whatever they want, and he has countless horror stories. Then again, LAUSD is one of the worst districts in the country, perhaps it is better in a nice white suburban district.

I'd NEVER take a teaching job, unless it was at the University level. You get disrespected all day by punk students, overworked, underpaid. But hey, 3 month vacations
>>
My APUS teacher was widely regarded as the best teacher in the school simply because of how much he loved the subject, and how he involved other students into the lesson. He treated all of us like we were at least college age, and by doing that prepared us for the real deal.
There will always be shitty students, but if you have the ability to spin a subject (that many think is boring) into something interesting, then you'll do fine.
>>
>>18576968
private schools > public schools
>>
>>18576902

Dude. I made more money as an assistant manager at an Abercrombie & Fitch than my teacher friends did upon graduating. And at least those kids wanted to be there to get paid. I now make $25k more than my teacher friend that is 10 years older than me, that has gotten all of the certifications possible.

The pay is garbage.
>>
>>18576825
Speced here teaching nonverbal autisitic kids.

Lots of organization, if you aint really organized then it is a bitch.

Dont think you can make bank cuz you have a college degree (even graduate degrees) when you work for a public school system.

I love my job but the organization is what kills me sometimes desu, I stay past the point of getting paid to tidy up at the start of school years. Is worth it to me.
>>
>>18576825
I am studying to be a moderate to severe special ed teacher and work as a teacher's assistant for one right now. I prefer special ed
-smaller classrooms, generally 9-12 kids
-more child-focused work as you are able to bend your criteria to fit the needs of each child according to their written academic and behavioral goals
-starting annual salary in my area is 49,500
-get 3-5 aides to help you run the class (honestly sometimes the teacher I work with just lags for an hour or two while the aides and I run the class curriculum)

Honestly, I would hate to be a general education teacher.

-packed classroom
-just you and 30 kids
-lots of troubled children fall through the cracks (not bad enough for special services, not good enough to keep up with the class expectations)
-starting annual salary in my area is only 39,000
-can't use alternative methods to help struggling children because there is not enough time and staff

General ed just isn't worth the pay and the work to me. I'd rather be in charge of 12 disabled children than 30 typical children with about 1/5 or more of them being stragglers that I can't help.
>>
Pay varies greatly depending on state in the US and that does determine the sort of coworkers you can expect (believe it or not the kids are not the worst part of the job). Some states, a first year teacher makes $31k a year which, when you account for them working 180ish days a year isnt awful if they are working 8hrs or less each of those days. In my experience most do and claim to work a lot more. I personally think its awesome IF you have another way to earn extra cash and you are very good with your money.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.