[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't even like to collage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

I'm moving to college in 3 days and the reality of it is finally hitting me like a bag of fucking rocks is hurtling towards my nuts at 500mph.
I have no particular drive to do anything. I had an internship at a local TV station a few months ago that I liked, but I think that if I had a passion for that I would have done something with video or film over the summer but I just didn't. My only claims to a good life are that internship and working at Starbucks for 10 months, and my last shift is today. I already made it clear to my managers that I wasn't going to stick around to be seasonal and now I'm seeing how stupid it was for me to close that opportunity for practically guaranteed work.
I don't know if I'll get a parking permit, I haven't started packing, I have no idea what my major will be, and I absolutely hate the thought of putting myself and my parents further into debt just to finance fucking nothing.
I know I'm on 4chan, but did anyone come out of a similar experience positively? Surely there's someone who's happy that still browses this website.
>>
blump
>>
Try as hard as you can. That's all I can say. What is your mental state? Do you have any problems with drugs or alcohol?
>>
>>18575536
No drug problems, been drunk like twice in 18 years
Kinda want to kill myself but I don't want to upset my mom, plus I'm afraid of nothingness
>>
You're a fresh high school grad, it's absurd to expect you to know what you wanna do for a living and therefore what to study. Hell you're barely more than a kid. Don't stress it overly much.

Best advice I can give you is to live your life to the fullest. I know that's cliche as fuck but let me explain. You'll NEVER be more free than you are now. No wife/husband. No kids. No truly serious responsibilities. And also very minimal real world experience. So go get some fucking experience. The worst thing you can do is meander through first year college smoking pot and doing nothing.

Try not to get too far in debt, I'd recommend working at least some minimal job to have some income. And then go hard into whatever you do. Different jobs. Relationships. When you party party hard. If you can afford it travel a bit. Try different classes. Make some mistakes, mistakes are great they'll teach you a lot more than your successes.

So long as you don't do anything too stupid like accumulate 100k in debt or marry a psycho you'll be fine.

If you want more specific advice you gotta give more specific details. That's the best I can come up with atm. Your job for the next few years is to get out of your comfort zone as often as possible so you can find out what kind of person you wanna be. That's cliche but it's cliche for a reason.
>>
>>18575485
Here's what you do, and I'm not making this up: study the fuck out of the bls.gov's occupational outlook handbook. If you can think of a job you might be interested in, check it out. Compare the salary and rate of growth to other jobs you're interested in.

Then pick a major that you will need in order to get that job. Make SURE the job you're going for is both something you think you'll be able to stomach, and something that is in demand.
>>
Here's another piece of cliche advice. At your age everything seems like the end of the world. It isn't. Like how you're stressing over this Starbucks bullshit. If you want a job you'll find another job, hell many colleges offer part time work at the campus itself. Try to calm your ass down a bit and realize that these years of your life are SUPPOSE to be chaotic and uncertain. Don't stress it so much, you're 18 not 40.
>>
>>18575553
>You're 18 not 40.
Yeah, but if he chooses a shit degree or flunks out, that debt can haunt him until he's 40.
>>
True. You right. That's why earlier I said to not do anything long term stupid like have a kid too early or accumulate 100k debt.
>>
>>18575485

I think this guy is extremely intelligent and gives very good advice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGkQil14LPQ
and one more that really helped me out in a situation similar to yours (not all of it will be relevant to you, but watch it anyway):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbOeO_frzvg

Here's my two cents:
You really need to think very carefully about what you want out of life. I've been in your position before. Do not succumb to the temptation of self-loathing and nihilism. Nihilism is easy: you do nothing because nothing matters. But this comes at the cost of great suffering.
Regardless of what you want to do, make sure you can be of some use. I wanted to write, I decided. But I'm doing electrical engineering because my parents are paying out their ass to send me to school. So that I can atleast give them a modicum of what they gave me. Remember that nothing will give you the satisfaction that you would get from being a useful member of society and caring about people you love.
Happiness isn't as easy as apathy. You have to work for it.
>>
>>18575549
I could easily end up 100k in debt if tuition keeps going up the way it has. That kept me up for a few nights back in May.
I think that's the same advice I hear from adults pretty often, but it feels like a mistake today is a mistake I'll be thinking about when I'm 50.
>>18575551
I actually had to use bls.gov all the time in senior year during my TV internship since I used it to leave school early. The career guy wanted us to be sure our internship was useful.
I generally liked the median numbers I saw for video editors (I'm thinking of TV or web mostly), but there was no data for my area. I know you'll think "Well all the jobs are in LA" but I live like an hour outside Atlanta, and I keep hearing shit about how the film industry here is booming. If nothing else there's CNN and Turner I guess.
>>18575553
I worry that since I waited this long to apply anywhere, my application is going to get lost in a tsunami of other freshmen who are just now applying for places. Thanks though.
>>18575556
lol
>>
>>18575564
>I generally liked the median numbers I saw for video editors (I'm thinking of TV or web mostly), but there was no data for my area.
Don't marry yourself to an area. If the money is right, be willing to move anywhere. If I had a job offer to live in Alaska, and they were offering 300k per year, and the job would be easy, I'd be buying a parka.
>>
>>18575485
You cant motivate yourself with positives yet. Motivate yourself with negatives.

Your problems mostly arise from confused ideas. Out of this comes your lack of energy and motivation, lazyness. Lazyness is universally bad. Theres nothing good ever coming from it. Its better to do sth, no matter what, than being lazy. Not being lazy is a virtue.

Confusion = Unorderlyness. Bring your life into order on every level. Prioritize your goals and deeds in life.

You must decide: Do you want to degenerate or progress.

I know that depressed feeling, facing college. I wasted 3 years. Dont waste your time. EVERYTHING IS BETTER than wasting your time. If you go to college, fucking go to college and study. If you dont go to college, fucking do sth else. If you have no realistic alternative, see college as a progress. Its a challenge and you will develop with it.

Accept the fact that youre depressed and you dont function normally right now, nor perceive the world as it is. You have to use force and willpower to go against it.

Again: Motivate yourself with negatives. Nothing is as bad as wasting your time. College is only a waste of time and money, if you make it so. You can also learn a ton of stuff and have a beautiful experience. Its up to you entirely.
>>
>>18575548
Than you'll be fine. Just be as normie as possible and study your ass off and you will find your place. If you're vaginally challenged then join a frat to discover your inner chad. I failed out of a great school because I went into it with drug and alcohol problems and mental issues. I should have just gotten clean and studied and joined a frat.
>>
>>18575564
Getting 100k in debt is not that easy if you're smart. Finding a job is not that hard. From what I can tell your biggest issue is your hardcore pessimism/nihilism.

I'm 27, full time college and part time work. At this rate I'll graduate with a bachelor's degree and about 25-30k in debt.

If you're really worried about it get a job and save some money. My best friend did that and then paid for his 2yr education out of pocket in his mid 20s.
>>
>>18575560
Just finished the first video and saved the 2nd to watch after work.
The camerawork really bothered me lol. The cameraman just could not stay still. Makes me wonder why they didn't have a guy on a good wide shot.
You got me dead to rights on the bit about self-loathing and nihilism. I've never subscribed to a certain school of thought, but I've been struggling with trying to find meaning in meaninglessness for the better part of the past 3 years.
I thought of going into computer science to make myself useful. I also don't want my parents to see their 2-decade-long investment end up as a black hole that sucks in finances. I hate doing math and find programming really frustrating, though. Outside of that, I have no clue on what I would be remotely interested in doing that I would get a degree for.
>>18575568
My issue with that (assuming I go into broadcasting) is that the 2 big places are LA and NYC. Both expensive as fuck and I have no stash of funds to fall back on if I don't hit the ground running with great pay. Living around Atlanta is relatively cheap, though.
>>18575571
That's pretty heavy stuff. I've definitely wasted most of my summer sleeping in and thinking about how messy and smelly my bedroom is. I'll take your words to heart.
>>18575580
>be as normie as possible
ahahaha
I thought about joining a frat. I don't think I will, though. Doesn't seem like an environment I would like.
>>
>>18575581
I think I'm currently $10k in debt with my mom. Not sure how that's split between us. She saved about $20k, but we're already taking nearly $6k out of it this year in costs not covered by the Parent Plus loan or my tuition scholarship, plus I haven't bought my $1.7k meal plan yet.. IDK it feels like it could spiral if I don't keep an eye on it.
I have about $1k in my checking account right now. I would have something like $3k, but I bought a laptop, half-off food at work, gas, etc. Splurged a lot. Not going to anymore. I want to work but I doubt I'll stand out with the thousands of other people also sending out applications right as school starts. No matter what I'm going to go for internships though.

Thanks everyone for caring. I'm going to get some sleep cause I have to be at work in 4 hours and I'm probably going to get chewed out by my boss for calling out last Saturday.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.