[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Accountancy or IT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 1500705909812.jpg (118KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1500705909812.jpg
118KB, 640x640px
Nearly 28, friendless, socially retarded, somewhere in England etc
Since my questions have may have been too broad for a site like 4chan. I'll narrow it down to something specific.

I need a decent career. Not a job where I'm currently spending stacking shelves and taking shit from managers who are increasing their bonuses by slashing our £8 an hour overtime.

I've been talking to a few people and they say with my (5 year old) 2.2 maths degree, that I only really have two options; accountancy or "something" to do with computers like tech support.

It's nearly August so I have less than a month to put what little money I have into a course that pushes me forward into one of these careers.

So what's a good path, accountacy or "something" in IT? Is there a viable third option that doesn't cost a lot of money or time? Time mostly cos I can almost feel life escaping from me hour by hour.

If I land something I'll drop a few steam vouchers.
>>
Accounting definitely will require you to study more, whereas if you already know something about computers, it shouldn't be too hard to land yourself an IT job.
>>
Programming costs nothing to learn and makes good money
>>
>>18572205
>Accounting definitely will require you to study more

Can't be harder than regular maths right?
Studying will probably get my brain working again, working in this shithole I pretty sure has destroyed some brain cells.

>>18572220
>Programming costs nothing to learn and makes good money

But it seems broad, like what do I focus on?
>>
File: 1494093993045.jpg (471KB, 1988x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1494093993045.jpg
471KB, 1988x1836px
Bump.
>>
>>18572249
accounting doesnt require much math beside arithmatic and really easy algebra, if that. its mostly rules and such

savage pic btw
>>
>>18572202
>friendless, socially retarded
IT isn't really a good option for you then. Entry level IT (help desk) is basically a customer service job. Higher levels of IT don't get much better even though you get off of the help desk.

Programming isn't a very good choice either if you're socially retarded. Modern programming methodologies (Agile) are VERY team oriented.
>>
File: 1498748462584.gif (4MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1498748462584.gif
4MB, 320x240px
>>18572437
>Programming isn't a very good choice either if you're socially retarded. Modern programming methodologies (Agile) are VERY team oriented.

This is incredibly disheartening.

>>18572415
So I'm guessing I'll have an edge with my (2.2) maths degree. Then again I doubt I'll be using much of Probability II. I wonder how much my lack of social skills are going fuck me here.
>>
>>18572456
>I wonder how much my lack of social skills are going fuck me here.
Probably a lot. I don't know if you've ever worked in a traditional office before, but people don't want to work with weirdos.
>>
File: 1499434872817.png (11KB, 343x543px) Image search: [Google]
1499434872817.png
11KB, 343x543px
>>18572459
Fucking christ. How much does storage cost in big yellow self storage? Thinking of hanging myself in one of the smaller storage rooms and pay for a year's rent.
>>
So is this it? This is as far as I can get? Stacking shelves till my death?
>>
>>18572956
You're going to have to realize that most jobs that are worth anything require you to communicate with people. If you can be nice you can handle it. Just suck it up.

You could probably get a help desk position in IT in a city for around 35-40k with benefits in or near a city. Time to piss of get off the pot.
>>
>>18572205
>if you already know something about computers, it shouldn't be too hard to land yourself an IT job.

I lol'd.
>>
You shouldn't have to pay for your course. The jobcentre or even the local council should have funding and support available.
>>
>>18572202
What is the best American degree for IT, MIS or IT, or is it just better to go to community college and study for A+ Certs? Thank you if anyone answers this, I am feeling so confused.
>>
>>18572996
>What is the best American degree for IT, MIS or IT
Nobody gives a shit about your degree. Most IT college programs are years outdated anyway. You will eventually hit a ceiling if you want to go into management, but getting a degree for entry level IT is a waste of time.

>study for A+ Certs
A+ is a joke cert that qualifies you for nothing except Geek Squad. If you want entry-level certifications think things like Network+, CCENT/CCNA, MCSA, or even Linux+.
>>
>>18572996
For IT it would be an IT diploma from one of the reputable techs. For IS and future project management it would be a M.Sc in IS. For Programming it is a B.SC is Computer Science. These are the general items.

>>18573173
This guy gets it if you go the cert route. Network+ is entry level CCNA is more advanced.
>>
>>18572202
DBA is the most socially isolated tech job if that is what you were going for. Entry level IT would be hell for someone who hates social interaction.
>>
>>18573384
>Network+ is entry level CCNA is more advanced
I'd say there about even in terms of depth. CCNA will go more into basic configuration and management of Cisco IOS devices. They're both very entry level and basic certs, but are a good start if you want to go down the networking path.
>>
>>18572993
OP here.
I'd have to be on jobseekers to get support right? Meaning I'd have to quit my job or I suppose work under 16 hours per week. Work is the only place I get some level of social interaction so dropping it completely might not be great for my sanity.

>>18573173
>>18573384
>Network+
They have this in the UK? I remember some temp telling me the potential to make GOOD (emphasis his) money was very high in that field.

>>18573390
>DBA is the most socially isolated tech job if that is what you were going for.
What is it? What's the salary like?
>>
>>18573658
>They have this in the UK?
I'd imagine so, but I'd check on CompTIA's website to see if they offer it in the UK.
>I remember some temp telling me the potential to make GOOD (emphasis his) money was very high in that field.
Do you mean the networking field? Yes, you can make good money but just getting some entry level certs won't get you a good salary. You can get your foot in the door IT, but you need to bust your ass and put long hours into working/studying/training to even GET into the networking field (no one will hire you to touch their network if you have absolutely no IT experience, you need to start at the bottom of IT and work your way up). Once you get into a network job it's even more hard work to get to the upper levels of the field and start making real money.
Complex networking requires a certain mindset that not everyone has, so it would be best just to get into IT in general and see what you like/are good at before you pick a particular specialization.

As others have said, IT jobs (any jobs beyond bitch work like you do now) requires good social and soft skills. Don't be a snowflake who doesn't want to work and socialize with others if you want a good job. Especially in networking, because the real money is in consulting.

Source: I work in networking and make north of 6-figures.
>>
>>18573173
>>18573384
>>18573472

Thank you guys, you are badasses! Because I already had a bachelors I was pretty confused because I didn't want to waste a lot of time going for a second bachelors. It felt stupid. Cert route being a legitimate route sounds pretty good because I am already honestly 36 years old.

>>18573658
DBA is Responsible for taking the lead role in designing, creating, managing and optimizing the full range of required databases in response to user requests. Responsible for more complex assignments, particularly concerning more complex databases.

The salaries in the US are stupid good. In my state they are entry level starting at 60k US dollars and pretty quickly going to 85k. Probably because no woman wants to do it for starters.
>>
>>18573688
>bitch work
Apt description I suppose. There was an incident that happened that basically proved that no one was willing to stand up for themselves and it's only going to worse.

>>18573688
>Don't be a snowflake who doesn't want to work and socialize with others if you want a good job.

It's not like I want to be a mute bastard it's that I don't have much of a likeable personality, not that I'm unlikable, it's just I don't have any charisma. To be honest, I'm not friendless in the direct sense of the word, it's like I'm a vestigial appendage to the few groups and "friends" I'm attached to.
>>
>>18573745
I meant bitch work in the sense that it's menial labor performed by low-skilled and immediately replaceable workers. I don't know if the term is common in the UK.

>not that I'm unlikable, it's just I don't have any charisma.
Take public speaking courses at a local community college. Join a Toastmasters group or a Dale Carnegie course (or whatever their equivalents are in the UK). In terms of charisma, some people are born "with it". For the rest of us, it's a skill that needs to be learned and trained.
>>
>>18573730
>60k in american monies

So that's around £45k. Wow, I need to look into this. I could finally move out my parents' house with this kind of money, somewhere on the outskirts of London.
>>
>>18573688
>I work in networking and make north of 6-figures.

Wait, six figures? How long did that take?
>>
>>18573853
>How long did that take?
5 years in networking. 7 years total in IT. I dedicate at least 1-1.5 hours a day to training and professional development so I'm probably not the norm. IT is a meritocracy, the better you are the more money you can make.
>>
>>18573877
>IT is a meritocracy
I think IT and engineering are few careers that are still (somewhat) meritocracies

You know it's odd, that the city workers I see makes it seem that most career progression is made entirely through networking.and drinking. Like a majority of these city workers are conventionally good-looking, socially magnetic, semi-alcoholics. They're do high-qualified jobs and yet they seem to be drunk almost every day by 3-5pm.
>>
>>18574097
>the city workers I see makes it seem that most career progression is made entirely through networking.and drinking
Well, this is true for almost all careers (including IT and engineering). Knowing the right people can get you into jobs that you're vastly under-qualified for. The difference is that in technical careers, you can't fake competency for very long. You're eventually going to fuck up big time and get fired. The people who perpetually do and know nothing are probably in fields where it's more about 'talking' than 'doing' (PR, "Business Development" "Strategy" or stupid shit like that.).

You already listed most of the requirements:
>conventionally good-looking, socially magnetic
If you're a pretty face who can also take over a room, you're going to make a lot of money in your life.
>>
>>18574142
Kinda begs the question: What happened to all the not-so-good-looking brainboxes you met throughout education?

All in research? Dead?
>>
Bumping so I can get a little more info on the jobcentre stuff. Hopefully it hasn't slid off the catalog when I wake up.
>>
Hope I don't sound stupid, but I've recently graduated with a degree in MIS and was wonder what a good type of entry level job would be?

I feel as if I'm looking in the same spots for jobs, but not having any results besides an occasional phone or in-person interview.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.