[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My friend might feel belittled or think I'm racist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: ancap smiley.jpg (54KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
ancap smiley.jpg
54KB, 640x640px
I have been a scrambled shut-in lately, and so I have had trouble holding my tongue on certain occasions. A good friend of mine took me to watch Spiderman: Homecoming, and I might have said something that was hurtful or misconstrued as racist. He's always consuming new-media, shit like the Daily Show and every Hollywood movie that comes out.

I wanted to point out paid sponsorships and obvious crowd-pleasers in Sony's new movie. For example (before and after the movie, not during), I would say things like, "Did you see the strategic placement of that stack of Siracha bottles? Ha, there was a Gamestop name drop for no reason, during the car chase."

Before the movie, I said, "They're trying to meet minority quotas," just trying to sound like a woke smartass I guess. When the people said things to appeal to libtard college students, I also laughed as if a joke was being told. This happened in the previews a lot too. After the movie he said to me, "You know, I enjoyed seeing Middle Eastern people in the movie."

I said, "I enjoyed the fat little sidekick character. It was like a Western, especially when he was lurking in the background, waiting to shoot at the bad guy when Spiderman was down.....Yeah, representation is good. When I was little, I would play Japanese games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing, and wonder why they forced the player to be white - it was not good representation."

Do you guys think he thinks that I am a racist? I just think it's pretty funny that these movies are engineered for mass appeal, and that race importance is just another dirty tactic they are employing to rake in cash they don't deserve. Hopefully he sees I was just trying to be woke af, and that I care very little about race personally. God, I am so spergy. Everything I have been trying to express is coming out vague lately. I hope my friend doesn't think I am a racist.
>>
Suggestion: stop that.
The product placement comments are whatever, it's a big name movie and that's been happening since the dawn of theatre.
But uh. If I just overheard the rest? I'd assume you're at the least unpleasantly biased.
I can't offer you any other advice than to speak slower and more thoughtfully. It helped me lose a bit of my reputation as having the personality Zuckerberg in that Facebook movie.
>>
>>18568336
>it's been happening since the dawn of theater
but its a shitty moneymaking scheme and it destroys all artistic credibility

>unpleasantly biased
what do you mean? you're right, I should stop talking about race unless I'm doing so very carefully. I just think race importance is a big joke. Do you think I came off as racist? I'm not racist. Oh, damn it.
>>
>>18568323
You sound very jaded, almost paranoid/conspiratorial, on the topic of race, yeah. To be expected from someone who calls people "libtards", but I digress.
And for future reference? If you were in a political arena, a class, a town hall meeting, any situation that expects and demands clear assertion of political beliefs and why? That would be one thing. But there's no purpose in trying to sound "woke AF" at the movies with your friend besides maybe petting your ego. If he's your friend, he should at least think you're intelligent enough to like and respect you - it's hard to be good friends with someone who's a lot fucking stupider than you are. Pointing out shit like product placement and "race quotas" isn't going to make him, or anyone else, think you're particularly intelligent, educated, or aware - it's just annoying as shit.
>>
>>18568323

Jesus fucking Christ, I feel like there weren't enough kids smacked upside the head growing up.

Listen. Movies are a business. Through and through. You can believe all that you want that they're these arthouse pieces, structured for the betterment of society, but unless they're completely unfunded passion projects - you're being sold a product. Hopefully you enjoy the product, but it's not the point of it existing.

Racism means you dislike or discount a person solely based off of the color of their skin without allowing their personality to be a factor. Are you doing that? If so, stop, if not, whatever, move on.

Fuck.
>>
>>18568445
Paranoid doesn't necessarily mean wrong. A person can be paranoid and right.

I don't want people to think I'm smart. I just want them to wake up.

Thank you for your feedback. I guess I'm posting this because I'm embarassed about my insensitivity.

>>18568448
Have you ever seen a classic movie before? Something does not need to be arthouse in order to not be coca cola netflix garbage.
>>
>>18568470

Just because you're too young to perceive the same shit existing in film doesn't mean it's not there. It might not be as obtuse as product placement, but it still exists to make a sale.
>>
>>18568500

>>18568500 #
>when you inject taco bell and pass out watching netflix only to realize you missed the nfl exclusive call of duty 27 trailer
>>
>>18568323
even if you are right, you seem like you are just trying to act smart and be edgy, stop it. feel free to have genuine conversations about this kind of thing with people but throwing out little snarky comments is cringe, like memeing in real life
>>
>there was a non-white person in my movie set in America's biggest melting pot? FORCED DIVERSITY!

Sorry bud, you drank the /pol/-aid. You're now a certified racist.
>>
>>18568470
There are classic, well-regarded, famous Buster Keaton movies with product placement.
>>
>>18568579
oy vey, dont you know melting pot is racist? melting pot is just another word for white washing all nonwhites and validating whites appropriating culture
>>
Spider man was literally intended to be a diversity promotor, which is really cringe because I'm asian myself and I'm not watching the movie going "haha now I can insert myself in the situation haha".
>>
How about you say what you want and if he doesn't like it then fuck him.

Don't walk on eggshells worried you'll hurt some ones fee fees

I have two close friends and I have zero filter with them, I literally say ANYTHING and they have no issues because they do the same. Find people like that.
>>
File: take it you fucking bitch.jpg (56KB, 590x271px) Image search: [Google]
take it you fucking bitch.jpg
56KB, 590x271px
>>18568586
>oy vey, dont you know melting pot is racist?
It's not. But as with any melting pot, slag rises to the top. Your Jews, Italians, Turks etc.

A "woke" society removes said slag.
>>
Jokes on you. I went with a friend of mine to see the movie and we couldn't stop looking at each other whenever they tried to slip in those snarky comments (le "I'm not gonna celebrate something built by slaves" or the fact that Peter's love interest was black). When it was revealed that Vulture had the black wife we looked at each other in disgust and said "Was that really necessary?"
>>
>>18568323
>WHY ARE THERE PEOPLE OF COLOR IN THIS MOVIE BASED IN NEW YORK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>MUH PRODUCT PLACEMENT
seriously dude, wtf who cares about that shit. Unless you purposely reading articles about that will you even notice.
>>
>>18569277
>upset/annoyed that a minor character, that we'll never see again, is black
Come on man, the girls are hot and can act what the fuck does race have to do with this.
The movie is good on its own merits and replacing the actors with white people wouldn't change it
>>
>>18568470
If it was in theaters, there was product placement and pandering, you probably just didn't notice either, because you were too young, or perfectly pandered to.

You aren't woke, in fact your friend isn't woke either, most people who claim to be woke aren't... because woke isn't really a thing... everyone is fucking stupid (me included) just some people notice an iota more about stuff than others... the truly smart people shut the fuck up about it and just enjoy the jingling keys on the screen.
>>
>>18569294
We did like the movie tho. We just couldn't help but notice those snarky little comments that the "smart girl" (the one who looked jaded and care-free all the time) made and the complexion of the students in the school. But then again it is New York we're talking about. We were just kinda disappointed with the fact we went from Kirsten Dunst to some random mut in just little over a decade.
>>
>>18568539
Product placement has been around since like the 30s.

>>18568470
>I just want them to wake up.
HAHAHA
You seem like someone who says "I'm redpilled"
>>
>>18568323

>not just abjectly cutting people out of your life when they infringe on your autismo ways

You gotta get real woke like me brother
>>
>>18569277
Well considering he had a half black daughter yes it was
>>
>>18569300
>Kirsten Dunst
That bitch had yellow ass teeth in the original movie
Rather have zendya then dunst
>>
>>18569301
I am too tired to explain why corporate movies are low quality. Maybe watch a YouTube video by an art student or god forbid read a book.
>>
>>18568323
Here's an idea: Stop pretending to be something you aren't.
>>
>>18569313
>muh complexity
You realize you're complaining about capeshit?
What did you expect?
>>
>>18569309
Considering Zendya had dark skin during the entire movie, I still think Dunst takes the lead.
>>
>>18569318
>Movies are a business.
>You're complaining anout capeshit

Whatever
>>
>>18569313
What is the over/under on how many fedoras this guy owns?
>>
>>18569325
Over 5 under 15
>>
>>18569324
Superhero movies based on existing ip rarely are good/complex.
Look at any of the mcu movies?
Iron man "I'm starving I want a real American burger" next scene is him eating burger king. These mcu movies have always been corporate and now that Disney own it all its even more corporate.
>>
>>18569354
At least the Burger King thinh was cute, and Iron Man is the exact made-for-China pleb shit that Spiderman reboots are. As superhero movies become more extremely like that, all Hollywood movies become increasingly like that, corporation buys more franchises up, things get worse.

I know 4chan isn't the epitome of class, but we all know art is important.

We all want to clap when we watch that Putin (probably propraganda) video where he says to the power plant owner, "you endangered the people with your negligence. someone is going to have to face repurcssions for this." Imagine that, but it's him sending whoever is fucking up franchizes for personal gain (even if its thousands of people) to fucking jail.
>>
Who cares zendaya bad as hell and that's all that matters.
>>
File: suprdo couch.jpg (48KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
suprdo couch.jpg
48KB, 640x360px
>>18569409
fug yes nib
>>
>>18569385
Yeah that sounds like a terrible fucking idea.

Art is important. But that doesn't mean things that aren't artistic don't have merit.
>>
>>18569536
I guess if people are retarded enough to drink generic sodypop and watch movies for the general chinese population, then it's their own damned fault. but you seem to think there's a lot of merit to a machine that burns pop culture up like gasoline, feeding the population white bread so a sociopath can use money as toilet paper
>>
>>18569321
>Y-Yeah well she had dark skin
Pretty dark girl > ugly pale girl, always. Sorry, /pol/pot.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.