[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where is all the work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: received_1932349073713081.jpg (25KB, 523x435px) Image search: [Google]
received_1932349073713081.jpg
25KB, 523x435px
Hey guys, I'm 21, getting a comp. sci. major, I've been working since I was 17 at 12.50-14.00 an hour jobs, but for some reason I can't even get a job as a dishwasher at 11.50 an hour now that I'm unemployed. What the fuck happened, where can I look for jobs? How can I make my resume attractive enough to at least wash dishes? For anyone asking I was working in the automotive industry but the company began to sink and they laid people off, including me.
>>
>>18568090
>to at least wash dishes
No such thing. It's literally an entry level job.

It's hard to explain for me in english since I'm eastern european, but in my country, there is this thing like an employment bureau or office, where you step in and there are people hired to talk to you about what job do you need and what set of qualifications do you need, and then either forward to you some job offers they've got or at least let you know how to get on dole for the time being as you perhaps attend to some training sessions and so on.

Just saying OP, maybe your country has one too. It's quite good a solution if you are looking for something entry level.
>>
>>18568105
I will try going to a work placement office, maybe I can catch something there, but I've sent resumes to almost exclusively entry level jobs hoping to max my chances of landing something, janitor, dishwasher, carwash. I'm overqualified for all of those jobs considering my previous job, could my previous pay scare off people looking to hire? I was making 14 an hour.
>>
>>18568113
Overqualified is ironically why you don't get the job, I presume, because you can't be underqualified for something like janitor, dishwasher etc. I mean, you said you are getting a comp. sci major, meaning that you should ideally reach out for jobs that are at least semi-related to your field. If I was you, I'd do field-specific freelance, or even one that isn't. For example, I know this one language that is my native language in east yurop, and english, and doing online translation gigs, It made me hundreds of euros (currency, I mean) to sustain me while studying.

Try the work placement office, but you should seriously consider if maybe you are too overqualified and employers to those jobs want to spare students and maybe get one of those older folks on the job who have like 10 years left before getting a retirement pension, thus not minding putting full time at something entry level.
>>
>>18568160
Jobs related to my field ask for 5 years experience and a bachelor's, I've only got a rough grasp on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, Lua, and I'm starting to get into C and C++, but this is mostly from independant study because I don't take programming classes yet, so I've got no degree to show or work experience with those skills, just cars, but the car industry here is all moving north.
>>
>>18568172
Oh well, do you know how to make any websites or apps, though? You could freelance that kind of skill online for money. Other than that, something related to cars can be a good part time job. If the industry is moving, maybe at least some place washing cars?
>>
>>18568190
I could easily do freelance, but it's not a steady source of income, and I've only got money saved up to last me 3 months
>>
>>18568211
Thing about freelance is that it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. What personally helped to sustain me through some tough times was financial help from my family and relatives, but that was limited because they were heavy into debt. Later, what sustained me was freelance jobs, and for paying rent, it was really helpful that I got some benefits from local government office.

You have to get really creative, but whatever you try to earn money, don't cancel your studies, because later in your studies you learn good skills and get a neat internship.
>>
>>18568090
where do you live that you expect $11.50 for dishwashing? everywhere I've lived from new york to florida only pays minimum wage. if you want more you have to move up to line cook because prep cook isn't a thing and they make you do it anyway as a dish washer as well as cleaning the restaurant.
>>
>>18568246
California, the pay for dishwasher/prep is between 10 and 12.50 depending on the area.
>>
>>18568090
Use job search websites man. You'll be overwhelmed at how many options are available.
>>
>>18568364
That's what I've been using, but the damn Mexicans are taking all entry jobs at minimum wage, and everything else is asking for experience and degrees.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.