[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cost of moving out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: sudan388.jpg (95KB, 352x307px) Image search: [Google]
sudan388.jpg
95KB, 352x307px
I'm looking to move out of my parent's house into an apartment, preferably without needing a roommate. For a little bit of background, I make $55k/year before taxes and the average cost of a studio/1 bedroom apartment in my area is between $900 and $1200. Also I'm 20 if that makes a difference.

My main question is for people who have already moved out. How much did you spend on one-time purchases associated with getting your own space for the first time? These would be things like appliances (that aren't included), dishes, cutlery, furniture, electronics, etc.
Also, how much do you spend on a monthly basis on recurring expenses, like groceries, soap, tp, utilities, etc?

I'm trying to get a feel for the real cost of living alone, and all of the little expenses that add up.

pic unrelated
>>
I'm moving out myself right now, so I could use some insight from other anons too

Myself am expecting to spend about $1000 local moneys on living expenses (rent, water, electricity, internet), and live on the other ~$2300 left. It's a tight budget imo, specially since I live in a relatively expensive country, but I also noticed the city I'm moving too is about 25% cheaper compared to where I currently live. Plus, I can still count on my gf's income when she also finds a job there.

I compromised more than 30% of my income on living costs (from those 2300, 400 are food "stamps" and 300 fuel "stamps" benefits), which is not really recommended.
>>
>>18567974
>>18568033
How much are you guys pulling monthly exactly?
>>
>>18567974
>How much did you spend on one-time purchases associated with getting your own space for the first time?
It really depends on how much you want to spend i.e. how cheap you want to go. My boyfriend and I are looking to buy a house together and we want to get good quality furniture and whatnot, and we're budgeting $10-15k for that. However, I'm sure you could furnish a place for a fraction of that amount.
>>
>>18568041
OP here
After taxes around 3600 per month (Taxachusetts resident)
>>
>>18568041
$2500 net gain, plus 400 that can only be spend on food and other 300 for fuel (not sure if there's an equivalent in the US, they're specific cards that are accepted only for those ends)
>>
>>18568042
>tfw a wash and dry machine and a tv would beat $5000 alone in my country

Fuck this monkey riddled shithole
>>
>>18568073
Where do you live? They'd probably cost that much for us too, we just already own some things between us like a bed and TV so that's a factor in our budgeting.

And again, it really depends on how much you want to spend. I've seen cheap TVs for as little as $100 and microwaves for $50 for example, we're just prepared to spend more since we want things to last in our own home.
>>
>>18568084
I'm from brazil. I checked the price of those furnitures just today. There are a few exceptions but I'd say the vast majority of the appliances here are between 1000 and 2000 bucks. The washing and drying machine alone was 2300, which is 200 short from what I'll be making in a month.

Luckily there's a tradition here that people help you with smaller value appliances like glasses and such, plus my father in law is really well off and we already have some things like a queen size bed, tv's, two seat couch, a small fridge good for a few bottles of soda and so on. But even then, let's say we still need a really basic fridge with freezer and a wash and dry machine: boom, here's five grand.

I honestly don't know how people manage to marry around here. Like I said, we'll be getting a lot of help and already have some stuff, but coming out of the blue with the whole furniture for a small apartment like ours is a crazy investment.
>>
>>18568127
>I honestly don't know how people manage to marry around here
You manage by living at home as long as possible if you can, especially if you plan to buy property in the future. If you move out and rent a place, you're basically throwing away money; you spend hundreds a month and have nothing to show for it except 'muh independence'. There seems to be the mentality these days that people need to move out at age 18 otherwise they're manchildren, but it's much smarter to live at home and save up while you can so you're in a better financial position when you do move out.

Having roommates is also a very easy way to cut your expenses in half or more but people also seem very reluctant to do that.
>>
>>18568135
Yeah... I totally agree... except we're almost 30 lol

Having roommates isn't really common around here. It isn't frowned upon or anything, but we just don't have this culture for some reason.

I won't lie too, we did spend a ton of cash a few years back with travels instead of saving for a place. Still, even if we summed up everything, it wouldn't be enough for a place. All my friends from college who got a place are also financially backed by their parents, who usually pay a portion of the value as a kickstart. I still have friends who are more successful than I financially that still live with their parents.
>>
>>18567974
I cook all of my own food and for just me it's $200 per month but I could easily bring that down to $150.
Internet is $80 per month for 100mbps but I could drop that down to $30 if I wanted the shit DSL I just hate their company, electricity is ~$100 but that's in florida so the AC is always going. No transportation costs since the bus is free for students and I use my bike. I got a bunch of cheap kitchen tools and utensils from the dollar tree and as things break from usage I replace them with quality stuff. I buy stuff like toilet paper only when it's on sale like buy one get one free and I stock up for a few months. not sure of a dollar amount for that.
>>
>>18568168
You can't have everything. Not now, not ever. You have to pick and choose. While you were travelling, others were saving up to buy their own home, or for a wedding, or investing their money in stocks.

Things like buying a house are also long term things. You can't just dip into your savings to buy a house like you can for a holiday or a new car. While my boyfriend and I have been saving up for a deposit on a house, our peers have been travelling, buying lavish dinners and other things they want, often on credit cards and through overdrafts. A lot of financial stability these days is about self-control and discipline, which is easy to forget in the Instagram and Facebook era.
>>
>>18567974
Buy disposable and plastic kitchen items to start but look on Craigslist, 2nd hand stores, and garage sales for real stuff. Try not to pay retail for everything except bedding or bath items. Take your time and you'll save money. Although Ross does have good prices.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (13KB, 193x261px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
13KB, 193x261px
>55k/year
>Age 20
>"Completely legal"
>OP is a fucking criminal mastermind dropping hints
Pic is totally related as is mine, wallace and grommit/10 kek
>>
>>18569754
>16-18: IT assistant at a refurb center ($15k)
>18-20: field technician w/ linux creds ($35k)
>20: Network Administrator I ($55k)

Nothing illegal I swear!
>>
>>18570104
wow imagine that, you gained experience and leveraged that to move to higher ranking positions that pay more! What a strange concept, I was under the impression that I could only flip burgers at mcburgerking and complain about not being able to make enough money to buy a tesla model s with all of the upgrades!
>>
>>18570238
B-b-but you NEED to get a degree! Stop wasting your time and go to college! Look at this graph that guarantees your degree will get you a comfy desk job with a $200k starting salary!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.