[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth losing friends over politics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: contemplativepepe.png (19KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
contemplativepepe.png
19KB, 900x900px
I'm generally pretty left leaning but some of my friends are fucking insane, politically speaking, having drunk the SJW Kool-aid. I knew this for a while but actively chose to stay quiet so I could avoid confrontation.

Today, one of them and I got in an argument over text, him telling me that white people are the problem, that I, as a white person am benefiting at the expense of minorities.

I felt very tempted to call him out on his bullshit but knew very well I'd put our friendship at risk so I ended up just pussy footing around whole time. Outside of this though, I usually get along with him. Typically he's there for me in my times of need and is always willing to hear me out about my personal issues. Is it worth losing a friend over politics? Or should I just let this slide?
>>
>>18567931
Why do white people get so easily triggered when their privilege is brought up?
>>
>>18567931
He's right though. As a white person you are inherently benefited by a society that has historically repressed people of color to your benefit. Whether you want to admit it or care enough to do anything about it is irrelevant from the fact that it's a true statement.

Stop being a baby.
>>
>>18567931

if youre genuine friends it should slide. years back when i drank i would be drunk with my shirt off arguing politics with my family and girlfriend, nothing ever came out of it over multiple instances. you accept peoples differences

>>18567937

remember, pills are white because they actually work. just like us white people
>>
>>18567937
>>18567941
letting women vote was a mistake

>captcha: close calle
>>
>>18567931
Here's the thing man, if he can give it to you and you remain his friend, you should be able to give it back and have him remind your friend. Don't sit around and let ignoramuses be racist against you. Explain to him why he's wrong. If that pisses him off and makes him not be your friend, then you're better off not being his friend.
>>
>>18567961
>remind
meant "remain"
>>
Tell your friend to kill themselves
>>
The first to replies, ignore them. Honestly if they keep bringing politics up then I would break off. Politics ruins friendships, and if they want to fight over ideologies time and time again, i would leave them.
>>
>>18567952
>I'm afraid of facts
No better than people burning shit over heliocentricity.
>>
>>18568007
shouldn't you be out looting a store or violating someone's right to free speech or something?
>>
>>18567931
It's not
>>
>>18567931
Depends. If it is an ideological difference, absolutely. Ideological differences are what typically ruin friendships.
>>
>>18567931
If and only if you can all agree to disagree and then never discuss politics again, your friendships have a chance.
>>
>>18568007

m8 it was a sardonic joke. What the fuck does people thinking the earth was the center of the solar system have to do with convoluted social issues? different ideologies =/= religion fucking up scientific progress.
>>
>>18568937

>>18567941
>>18567937

I guess while I'm at it, you sound like you might just be a typical buzzword flinging asshole. But because I'm a stickler for proper explanations, could you elaborate further?

Cuz I don't see a connection to how lynching suddenly makes a working class white family 70+ years later suddenly the equivalent to an upper middle class family of succesful entrepeneurs from immigration because "skin color lmao".

Like ostensibly it sounds valid, but you need to define the terms you're using. If I had said blacks are disproportionately failing in education, employment as well as having a much higher incarceration rate because of primarily socioeconomic class and a counter culture (in this case stereotypical black gangster culture) that is a natural result of being in a lower class rather than previous discrimination because black president, black business owners (and being able to own property at all), black celebs, sports stars etc. exist, while this sounds very convincing, I still have some explaining to do.

tl;dr can you explain why "previlege from historic oppression" is the reason why "whites are the problem", like OP said?
>>
>>18567931
it's not, especially if it's about dumb meaningless shit like social and racial topics.
>>
>>18567937
Why do black people still get so butthurt over being called niggers? You'd think they'd have thicker skin by now
>>
File: Bait 11.png (17KB, 626x624px) Image search: [Google]
Bait 11.png
17KB, 626x624px
>>18567937
>>
I just stopped talking to them, honestly. It wasn't ever going to be a discussion; it wasn't ever going to be about equality.

I didn't need actual Nazis in my friend circle, so I just sort of went on with my life.
>>
>>18567937
because whites cant stand the fact that racism toward sthem has been normalized if not encouraged
>>
>>18569526
Boo hoo. Looks like the tables have finally turned.
>>
>>18567931

I had to pull two friends aside and tell them to cut the bullshit or the nature of our friendship was going to change. That I found it personally insulting for my successes to be hand waved away for "being white" even if that's not what they meant. But that there was really no point in continuously bringing up the topic unless they were looking for an actual response or change in behavior from me, which they couldn't really come up with.

At the end of the day I think they just wanted to guilt me about my success, which they could have done in a million different ways.

Our friendship isn't exactly the same but at least it's been stripped of the constant race argument we were suddenly having.
>>
>>18567941
I don't understand why americans need to project their racial tensions on the world
>>
>>18567931
Your friend is letting his political views become a mayor aspect of his personality. If you dislike that aspect of him, chances are you two will never be able to be good friends anymore, especially if he can't keep his views to himself.

One of my best friends has really different political views from me, yet we know that arguing about who is in the right or trying to change each other's view won't do any good, so we keep that stuff to ourselves. If your friend can't do that, then drop him.
>>
>>18567931
I'd drop them like a bad habit. Life is too short to endure ignorant ppl.
>>
>>18567931
They are probably going through an edgy phase. They should hopefully grow out of it.
>>
>>18567931
There are ways to talk about politics and still (or even "because of that") be friends.
>>
>>18567937
People are getting so pissed over bait lmao
>>
>>18569530
And then what?
>>
This happened with one of my grielfriends and finally I voiced my opinion. She was trying to tell me that abortion past 6 months is a woman's right and perfectly fine. Also she was trying to tell me that hilary was some angel compared to trump. I took it as a debate and since then ive asked her to hang out or asked how she was doing etc yet she has cut me off and is most likely still triggered to this day.
>>
I'm white. My family is half a million in debt. I have to work and take out loans to go to school while my foreign friends of a different race have their parents pay for their schooling.
>>
>>18567937
>>18567941
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpitE_0l-HI
>>
Tell your friend that he's a cuck and stop hanging around cucks like him.
>>
>>18567931
If you're physical capable, HYPOTHETICALLY beat them within an inch in their miserable lives (make sure you don't get caught).

Dumb faggots will go first on any fictional "day of the rope". In a SHTF situation you need people you can count on, not retards whom let Dr Jewberg shit critical theory down their neck.
>>
>>18567931
OP I don't know about you but if a ""friend"" told me to check my privilege I would drop him right there and legit tell him if he told me that again I would beat the shit out of him.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.