[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Film

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: MovieCamera.jpg (52KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
MovieCamera.jpg
52KB, 1000x1000px
I've been a big fan of film since I was a child and I've lately been wondering what it takes to get into the industry? I want to be a film director and make some Oscar worthy movies but I don't know quite where to start. Should I go to school to learn more about it or start homemade by myself and hire some actors and rent out some sets?
>>
>>18566266

> I want to be a film director and make some Oscar worthy movies but I don't know quite where to start.

Stop being 17 and give up now.
>>
Convert to Judaism.
>>
Film student about to graduate here. Been on about half a dozen "professional" productions. A couple Netflix originals, three Indie films, and one blockbuster.

I can tell you that "the film industry" is really hundreds of individual talents and jobs under the same general umbrella. Rarely does someone set out "to get into the business" without a specific field or goal. For example, if you say "I want to be a cinematographer," it's a lot easier to find success than saying "I wanna make movies."

Also, practice, practice, practice. Make as much shit as you can, because each time you make something, it becomes less and less shit. Then, suddenly, your shit is making its way through festivals and eventually on the big screen.

Be a people person and read as much about film and watch as much film as you can.

Note, however: if your goal is truley to make Oscar movies, give up. Not that it's impossible, but it is indicative of the completely wrong mindset. If your goal is notoriety and fame, there are much more lucrative and easier ways. If you love telling stories visually, on screen, then pursue film.

Continued.
>>
File: me pitching.jpg (35KB, 960x441px) Image search: [Google]
me pitching.jpg
35KB, 960x441px
>>18566368
Some books you might enjoy:
>"What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What" - https://www.amazon.com/What-They-Dont-Teach-School/dp/0786884770/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501269166&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=what+they+don%27t+tell+you+in+film+school
Fantastic book that is equal parts inspiring and practical.

>"Rebel without a Crew: Or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker With $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player" - https://www.amazon.com/Rebel-without-Crew-23-Year-Old-Filmmaker/dp/0452271878/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0452271878&pd_rd_r=9Y8RM5KXJZ72CTN4QNRT&pd_rd_w=1Ic86&pd_rd_wg=YHZE7&psc=1&refRID=9Y8RM5KXJZ72CTN4QNRT
Fun story of Robert Rodriguez, who you'll know as the director of a ton of movies. Inspiring and practical as well.

>"Save the Cat!" - https://www.amazon.com/Save-Cat-Blake-Snyder-ebook/dp/B00340ESIS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1501269292&sr=1-1&keywords=save+the+cat
The best screenwriting book there is. You might be completely uninterested in screenwriting, but it's crucial to understand no matter what department you end up in.

Good luck!
>>
>>18566371
Thank you very much!
>>
>>18566266
>what it takes to get into the industry?
Be a jew.
But really I suggest making movies with friends. Watching videos on YouTube about editing, filming, and general movie things. You could make a youtube channel to upload your films to that to archive them, and share them. If you wanna make Hollywood movies then maybe go to fullsail. I have a friend who went there and dropped out because they were teaching him how to work on big budget movies and he just wanted "to make small movies with his friends." Anyway after just a year he's like 60k in debt, doesn't count how much he paid in rent. If you want to be a youtuber just watch youtube videos on filming and read books on the subject. Like real big ass boring ass books. To start filming use your phone or a friend's phone with a high quality camera. Save up for a high end video camera.
>>
>>18566376
No problem.

Also, since >>18566387 brought it up, a word about film school.

It can be great, and it can be expensive nonsense. Out of five years as an undergrad, I've taken maybe two classes where we actually make movies, two more for screenwriting and pre-planning, and the rest are bullshit theory and politics stuff. I can't tell you how many "Gender in Cinema" or "African-American Theory On-Screen" shit I've sat through just to get to the 'fun' classes.

Also, the harsh reality is that those practical classes where you get to make film is all stuff you could easily find online. Editing, lighting, sound, blocking, etc - it's no secret.

The things you will get out of film school, should you choose to pursue that, is you will get a ton of connections and opportunities. Although massive and filled with thousands of workers, it IS kind of an inside club. Friends get hired first, etc. Film school gives you those friends.

Finally, it's a resume and reel builder. In this industry, a resume gets you only so far. Reels (short videos and packages showcasing your work) are what get you jobs.

It's not for everyone, and you can almost certainly find success without a degree in film production, but that piece of paper - you diploma - proves to employers that you're dedicated, you know a thing or two about the field, and that you are passionate.
>>
step 1. go to hollwood
step 2. become a production assistant
step 3. get the coffee
step 4. give up
>>
>>18566266
Go to school and learn more.

Have you noticed how fucking good the new marvel movies are?

>inb4 hurr they suck. Not a thread for hipsters. Im not a huge fan either but theyre wildly popular and thats that.

Thing is OP, you may not know or realise this, but like with music, there is an algorithm. Blockbuster films have been shattering records yearly because theyve just about perfected. Use this story arc at this time, use these camera angles, show this amount of nature and this amount of citt, ad lib this joke, this amount of character development from this direction to this direction.

It is a craft, the most successful film makers didnt just dream up an original story out of nowhere. Its all math.

Same with music. These notes produce these chords, and these chords in this order make the majority of people feel these emotions.

Even painters use tools and math.

So yes. Go to school. In the meantime*definitely* make home movies to foster your passion.

If the above reality doesnt make you happy, by all means be an indy film producer. You wont be famous but you can get a definite cult following.
>>
This tip is for later in your film career but using IMDBpro is great for getting a hold of agents and stuff. But do that once you have a reel. So get it in a year or two.
>>
I also learning filmmaking. I'm not going to film school, I'm just watching a shitload of YouTube videos, reading some books, and practicing with my equipment.
One of the things I've learned is that gear doesn't matter while learning. Make films with whatever you have, like a smarrphone, cheap camcorder or whatever. The best way to learn is to just do it.
Also check out >>>/p/video
>>
>>18566477
>smartphone

Gf and I are doing some stuff we hope to put on youtube and i had a lot of training in highschool with video editing (i know, highschool, im definitely no professional.)

And.. This. My school had some pretty top of the line equipment. That was 12 years ago. The cameras on phones these days are even better than the cameras we had then. Get a tripod for your phone, get a film app (theres better than your default phone app with white balancing and stuff) get some audio capture equipment seperately (rentals are cheap af) an external harddrive because good quality video is fucking massive, and youre all set.
>>
File: me.jpg (67KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
67KB, 1500x1000px
>>18566583
The Rode Videomic Me is a microphone specifically designed for smartphones.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.