[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Repair Career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: tyUS59z.png (866KB, 900x602px) Image search: [Google]
tyUS59z.png
866KB, 900x602px
Is computer repair a good job to get into?
I don't have the math brain for code, and I despise an academic environment, so I doubt I could finish anything longer than a 2-year degree. Right now I'm working at a warehouse for $15.50, but the hours are very long and the work is strenuous. My body can barely handle doing 40 hrs there, let alone overtime.

I've fixed a bunch of desktops and laptops over the past couple years. Built my own gaymen rig twice, and several for friends. Even made one with a buddy that we flipped on craigslist just as a fun weekend project. I love computer parts, and know a lot about most of the parts from the Nehalem era onwards. I don't need to make superstar money, just enough to pay bills and maybe support 1-2 kids later in life.
>>
PC repair will net you around $20 an hour at best, at least if you're working at a PC repair shop or computer store like Best Buy or Microcenter. Unless you open up your owne repair shop and expand your services to sales and whatnot, that is about as good as it gets.

You may want to look into getting into the help desk profession, but to do this you will also need to get a decent grasp on networking as well. Help desk jobs with 5+ years of experience can pay around 60k a year if you are in a lead or supervisor position. Certifications help too.
>>
>>18560343
it's a very fun job but a bit repetitive. You would be working towards starting your own repair shop some day. Great job while in college though.
>>
>>18560343
>That lightbulb
Every time.
>>
>>18560343
There is just so much wrong with that picture.
>>
>>18560343
What justifies your expectation that a math brain is required for programming?
>>
>>18560854
I hate to be the guy who says this, but CHRIST. 60k after FIVE YEARS EXPERIENCE? Just shoot me now.
>>
>>18560343
As stuff gets cheaper and cheaper PC repair will keep dying.

Maybe if you're in Alaska were shipping is a bitch you could make a lifelong career but even then I'd be surprised.

Go get a two years associates in IT where you can also get a few certs, then you'll be set for decent jobs around 40-50k starting. If you keep learning the sky is the limit.
>>
>>18560906
He's lowballing to be fair, you can start help desk with benefits around 40k minimum in say Austin which isn't too expensive of a place compared to most cities.

You never stop learning in IT though, so the more you learn the more you earn. If you keep pushing yourself and job hop you can hit six figures in under a decade.
>>
>>18560343
>Don't have the math brain for programming

Yeah neither do my dumbfuck classmates and they're still here reciting "C's get degrees"
>>
>>18560942
OP here. Isn't helpdesk often regarded as extremely stressful from both clients and managers? I did a study course for ComptiA+ and it was all stuff that I already knew. I heard network certs are much more valuable.
>>18560854
to be fair, $20/hr at an easy job beats $15.5 at an extremely difficult job.
>>18560901
>>18561186
Isn't it quite a bit of algebra? I've never tried any coding, but it's never been something that I thought would interest me terribly much.
>>
>>18561286
Tbh, you could work as that, but you should start selling pc and hardware devices online as soon as you can.
You could seek further studies into hardware, servers (this one has future), data bases (requires SQL code), networking, etc. and then start making nice dosh.

As some anon said prior to me: the sky's the limit.
>>
my friend is a sys admin and does everything PC and serve related for small/medium companies

its good money, not in the US though, europe, without any degree
>>
>>18560343
A lot of programming has very little to do with math at all. Allow me to pull a quote from the legendary The Mythical Man-Month to shed some insight on why programming is hard:

First, one must perform perfectly. The computer resembles the magic of legend in this respect, too. If one character, one pause, of the incantation is not strictly in proper form, the magic doesn't work. Human beings are not accustomed to being perfect, and few areas of human activity demand it. Adjusting to the requirement for perfection is, I think, the most difficult part of learning to program.
>>
>>18561286
I've been working as a software engineer for nearly three years (I know, such little time) and I have not head to deal with an ounce of algebra.

At some point, baseless assumptions become excuses.
>>
>>18560343
If you can replace the lightbulb in my computer then you have my approval for this job
>>
>>18560343
what's this guy's haircut called?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.