[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rent & Roommate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.gif (4KB, 160x128px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
4KB, 160x128px
Should I (or can I) force my roommate/tenant to pay more rent?

>I'm the owner of the house (technically my parents put in the down payment but it's my responsibility to pay the mortgage and utilities and insurance and eventually buy the house from them for that original down payment)
>Had two roommates, each paid dirt cheap rent
>$400 each including utilities
>Current roommate's bad habits are huge contributing factor to other roommate leaving
>My dad offered to cover the extra $400 for two months while we found another roommate
>couldn't find one
>ask roommate if he'd be willing to bump up his rent to $600 so we were splitting the empty space in the house
>nope, he's unemployed
>now I'm on the hook for about $800 each month

This guy is preventing me from finding a roommate that will pay more, AND he's frequently late on rent (although he does pay). Should I tell him he has to pay more or he's evicted?
>>
>>18558635
Kick him out. He's only going to get worse. You should have kicked him out before the other roommate left
>>
>>18558635
>>18558635
Yes you can remove him. Did you make him sign a lease? If no lease was signed and he pays month to month then you give him notice 1 month before you evict him. After those 30 days you he is a tenancy at sufferance and you may pursue further action.
>>
>>18558643
>>18558657

Honestly I'd prefer not to kick him out because it's ridiculously difficult to find someone at my age that doesn't totally suck and is looking to rent a room. He's at least quiet.

I just want to raise the rent.
>>
>>18558635
Tell him if he doesn't pay more rent he unfortunately can't stay. Honestly, it sounds like you might need two new roommates.

Sounds like a shitty situation, but I'd threaten to kick him out if he doesn't agree to pay more. But also, maybe you should consider kicking him out regardless since he has no money or means to make any.
>>
>>18558635
fuck put an ad on craigslist and put up posters and shit , or its gonna be your ass you will probably find some faggot with 12 boxes of dragon dildos but fuck it better than paying 800$ in rent
>>
>>18558661
Sorry you can't force him to pay more. If he doesn't want to/can't you're better off finding someone new or just settling with the lower rent he is paying.
>>
>>18558671

I can afford the whole mortgage myself if I have to, it's just nice to have an extra $10,000 a year when I have two roommates.
>>
>>18558661

So raise the rent? Either he swims or sinks. Right now hes loving every second because you are letting him walk on you. Why would you ask if hes ok with paying 50% more every month? Would anyone say yes to that if it was optional? Obviously fucking not.

Tell him rent is 600$ now, and if he doesnt like it he can find somewhere else to live.
>>
>>18558675
well take my advice and you will have 10,000$ extra
>>
>>18558674

Do you think it would be fair of me to say "you have two choices, pay more or get evicted?" I would wait until he gets a job though.
>>
>>18558676

I only asked him once in a "what if we don't find a roommate" discussion a while back. Unfortunately my last roommate WAS up for it, and I never got around to evicting this guy before it was too late.

I know I'm being too nice, but I literally know the dude has nowhere to go but the homeless shelter at the moment if I kick him out, and I don't know what I'd do with his stuff.

Before you all ask why the fuck I let a guy like this move in with me, I used to work with him, where he seemed chill and responsible. The only reason he was looking for a place was because he had just gotten divorced and was looking to get back on his feet.
>>
>>18558679
I can't tell you what is fair or not that's up to you. From my perspective it seems entirely reasonable. I would suggest telling him that the rent was a lot lower than what it should have been and what you're raising it to is a more realistic price. If he starts giving you a hard time tell him he has 30 days to figure it out. Be sure to take note you informed him a month in advance so if he does want to make a legal dispute you can defend yourself.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.