[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to not be socially retarded for work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

I've just started my finance degree (maths double major) at a decent university, but I realised I'm a little too autistic for social activities like networking and interviews... I consider myself social intelligent, but I'm just so shy around people until I actually get close to them and open up a little. How do I get over being shy? How can I prevent myself from spilling the spaghetti?
>>
File: Asking_773973_6224940.jpg (119KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Asking_773973_6224940.jpg
119KB, 900x600px
>>18557997
I have an austistic mind too (metaphorically speaking, from browsing internet and absorbing huge amount of information about all kinds of shit all these years), but fortunately I also know how to be "social" if necessary, because I am not a misanthrope and acknowledge that sometimes, it's beneficial to appear socially adequate. Here are some tips that have worked for me:

>Comment on surroundings or weather if it's somebody you barely know as convo starter
>If they look 20-something, comment on the most recent news/pop culture (death of Chester right now I guess), starting with "Hey, haven't you heard X, crazy huh? I wonder why...".
>If it's a group convo between bunch of office workers, go stand in the circle/sit down, hold a non-alcoholic drink in your hand (juice/water/coffee etc.), sip it, listen in on what's the topic, and contribute a relevant personal experience when you can tell one, then keep listening.
>If you feel the need to make a joke, keep it very light or dad joke, don't be ironic, the normies are bad at irony, especially when they don't know you well.
>Don't do shit like fidget, have a closed pose, look for the clock every minute, check smartphone etc. be attentive and listen. You can sometimes be recognized as trustworthy if you don't say a thing but just listen attentively and nod sometimes. This usually means that normies may start asking your opinion out of curiosity, since you've been informed of their inside jokes and what not.
>NEVER talk about politics/religion, and if other people mention something related to it, just act as if you have no clear opinion on the topic.
>>
>>18558017
So these are the things that I would do, or even already do, but the problem is that I'm so uncomfortable doing these things and would rather be withdrawn from social contacts. I just wish I could permanently be a normie, or a chad if possible. I'm not proud of wanting to be a normie, but it seems like it's necessary for making a living.
>>
>>18557997
>I've just started

There's your answer. You've got several years to work on conquering your anxiety and shyness before you hit the world of work. Use the time, but take your time. Baby steps toward being with people in new situations.
>>
op you sound beta , just quit being beta i used to think if i was in a group of people talking it wasn't right to pipe up and actually talk so i one day said fuck it and if they talked about something i knew about i piped up and commanded the conversation and steered the conversation the way i wanted
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.