[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice finding a job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: VbY5sB0.jpg (57KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
VbY5sB0.jpg
57KB, 919x720px
>Too much experience to be considered for retail jobs/entry level
>Too little experience to be considered for supervisor/management jobs

I've been doing temp jobs for a couple months but if I don't find something steady soon I might lose my house, does anyone have any advice for finding a shitty cashier job or something that actually works? Temp agency is starting to look like a scam, they just keep having me do 2 week stints and telling me it could become full time but the company never hires me on because they never had any intention of doing so, just baiting people along for cheap labor with no benefits.

I've thought about literally walking down the street and going inside places and trying to talk to someone about the applications I submitted online but I don't know if this would lower my chances or help them, should I do this? at places like wal-mart, target?
I'd take a janitor job at this point. Someone told me to get a guard-card but that costs too much money at this point. Does this actually help me find something?

Everyone tells me to network but I know literally no one in this town. I'm in crisis mode at this point, I'd take anything as long as it was stable and at least 28 hours a week.
>>
>>18557137
Dishwashing is super easy and open to everyone.
They have high turn over.
Try that. Most prissy "educated" people turn up their noses about the idea.

Or you can try moving. I work as a mover part time. It pays super good. But you need to be able to move 12+ hours a day. Do it. If you have fucking testes
>>
Goodwill job connection? Always update your resume, and call tomorrow first thing call every company see if they're looking to hire
>>
>>18557155
>Most prissy "educated" people turn up their noses about the idea.

You're right, I didn't study Information Systems to wash people's dishes.

OP just apply everywhere and anywhere. Go to companies websites and check to see if they are hiring. Target, Wal-Mart, banks, CU's etc. all have entry level positions with high turnover. Before I graduated I worked for a credit union that gave me benefits even though I worked part-time half the year for school.

Just gotta apply apply man, unless you know people (which you don't) there's really no other choice unless you want to go to college or a trade school.
>>
>>18557155
How do I go about finding dish washing jobs? Apply at restaurants and call?

I could do moving, how do I go about that? Just search for moving companies? or is there another way to go about that?

>>18557160
I'll look into goodwill, and when I call, what should I ask/who should I ask for? Asking "are you hiring" almost always just gets a "just look online"
>>18557181
I have experience managing a warehouse but like I said I am desperate. I have been applying as much as possible and I just never get callbacks. Should I call after applying? Who should I ask for/ what should I say?
>>
>>18557181
>Just apply
Truth

I applied to a job once and a year alter I got a reply asking if I was still available.
I happened to be, so I took it.

Just cum your applications into the wind. Maybe one of them will bare fruit
>>
When I've needed jobs quickly I've found that applying through the process with big companies is a complete waste of time. One time I didn't get a reply for 2 years. Speaking to somebody, knowing somebody etc is so much quicker and easier or at least has been for me. Also on the subject of entry level roles you might have better luck with smaller businesses where you can actually communicate your situation to the owner. I can understand why a corporate chain at some head office level is going to toss your application for a cashiers role because they'll think that you'll leave as soon as you find something else and you don't fit their typical profile. If you can actually talk to somebody who is doing the hiring at branch level or catch a busy business owner at the right time often you can start there and then.

My current job is working for a small business and I was hired on the spot. The most difficult part was meeting with the business owner because he was so busy. I really wanted to work in that particular industry and while I had no formal experience which would have made my application stand out, my CV otherwise is too heavy for the nature of the role without me there in person to get across my knowledge and enthusiasm.
>>
>>18557190
For dishwashing, pretty much just ask and show up with a CV. It's super easy but the turn over is high. Show up give a CV and say you're willing to work, on time, and drug free

For moving, I got in by messaging the owner. I knew his email by a friend, but he didn't even know I knew a former employee of his until he asked. So that means you just gotta know the email to get in. Google or whatever means will help
>>
>>18557190
I'll be honest I've never had to bother calling back, but I'd say if you haven't heard anything about the position after two weeks then yea call in and inquire about the position. Be respectful and talk clearly. Otherwise you just have to spam applications, no getting around it.

How old are you? If you have free time you need to start developing skills. I wholeheartedly recommend IT. Study hard, get a few certs, and you can easily get a job starting at $40k a year with benefits with lots of room to grow.
>>
>>18557212
I am 26 and I have 10 years of experience in manufacturing, 8 of those years were in a position where I managed a warehouse, did inventory, and oversaw a portion of the production floor.

I would go to trade school if I had the money, but as it is I'm already paying rent 2 weeks late every month.
>>
File: Finance Flow Chart.jpg (2MB, 1665x3441px) Image search: [Google]
Finance Flow Chart.jpg
2MB, 1665x3441px
>>18557222
I'd say go on Reddit and have your resume critiqued as I'm sure your experience could be leveraged somehow. Not saying your resume is bad but it happens. If you're in a small bumfuck town you may have to move for work.

If you are close to your parents or other family I'd suggest moving in with them and apprentice in a trade or get a associates degree in a MARKETABLE field. It might suck but I did the same thing around your age and yea it wasn't fun but financially it was the best decision I could have made.

Good luck brother, you're young. Don't be afraid to start learning again, it can lead to a lucrative career.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.