[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not strictly advice, but tangentially related to the subject

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Not strictly advice, but tangentially related to the subject matter of the board:

Have any of you ever known someone who committed suicide? Why did they do it? What effect did it have on their family and the people close to them?
>>
>>18555211
My best friend committed suicide, my ex-girlfriend has always been suicidal, I left her basically because of it, I personally want to die, if my ex suicides I will kill myself because I love her.

My best friends' parents, sister and girlfriend was destroyed.

There is nothing more naive and cruel than committing suicide especially when someone loves you.
>>
>>18555787
continue
The girl didn't have empathy for the suicide act, hated him, found another boyfriend.
I hate it myself.
>>
>>18555787
The cold fact is, there are people whose suffering is so bad that they have to leave everything behind because they can't function anymore. It doesn't mean that they don't love the people close to them, it's just that they are dealing with immeasurable pain. But at the same time there are cowards that commit suicide solely because they got an F on a fucking exam or something. Impulsive suicides.

Mental illness is just as legitimate as physiological illness but they are unseen and less understood.
>>
Not real personally, but I went to school with Megan Meier. My sister was in girl scouts with her as a kid, she had been in my house before.

That whole thing was a clusterfuck beyond just the suicide though, with how the other girl's mother was doing everything. Read the Wikipedia article if you wanna know the deets.
Short version is
Megan and some chick Sarah had a usual middle school friendship falling out, Sarah's mom then bullied her with a fake profile on myspace until Megan an hero'd.

I know more about how it affected Sarah's family than anything, her mom ended up going to court and shit but nothing came of it.
Sarah had a brother who jumped ship from the family immediately, moved in with his grandparents to avoid the media shitstorm and stay out of the spotlight. Smart ass fucking move on his part for being so young. It wasn't until late high school did I even realize he was related to them because he hid it so well.
So that shit tore the fuck up out of his family and basically forced him to dissociate for his own future's sake.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Megans parents split at some point, never knew what happened to her sister. I'm sure its something you never really get over, but you live on anyway.
>>
>Took the virginity of the most nice, honest, caring, intelligent and understanding person I had ever met
>She'd dealt with rexia and severe depression
>Pissed the bed because we were all drinking
>Felt so ashamed I took it out on her and said I want nothing more to do with the situation, it can't happen again etc
>Somehow I don't think anyone had shown a lot of interest in her before (Some fucking how)
>Literally at one point had to bandage this girls arm up because she sliced her wrist open with vodka bottle and didn't know who to call
>Anyway she blocks me after the night I pissed the bed in my sleep but I smooth things over in college the next day
>get a message from her that I decided not to read and thought I'd just forget everything
>get a call from the Police "Hello is this anon, anon has gone missing and we wanted to know if you may know anything"
>Heart is pounding like fk instantaneously run to where girl slashes her wrists open and called me from
>Not there 'oh shit oh shit oh shit' go back and check the message
>"Hey I'm really sorry I think my depression makes decisions for me, sometimes it's too easy for me to cut myself off from people I really care about"
>I say 'Anon, where are you?'
>Her friend calls me up twice that night once to ask about where she could be second time to suspiciously ask if I'm ok and it's all been 'sorted' to just get sleep and she'll speak to me tomorrow
>Be ignorant and think it's all alright she's fine
>Turns out girl jumped from a cliff in a very nearby coastal town and died from ruptured organs and things
>>
>>18556712
Sorry, as for how it affected her family; they basically go twice a year to the portion of the cliff, just beside a lighthouse, where she jumped from. Once on her birthday and the second on the day she jumped.
>>
>>18556680
This. I fucking hate the "people who commit suicide are selfish" meme.
What's selfish is expecting someone to stay alive just for your own personal amusement even though they're suffering every single day and nothing will bring them relief.

It's selfish to tell someone to go through extreme pain just because it would make you feel better.
>>
>>18556755
Sometimes suicide is the responsible decision
>>
>>18556802
Agreed. I don't deny anyone, who has within reason done everything they can to treat their depression, the right to end their suffering anymore than I would deny anyone who has done everything within reason to treat their cancer the right to end their suffering.
>>
>>18556755
>It's selfish to tell someone to go through extreme pain just because it would make you feel better.
It's also selfish to commit suicide without telling people so the other people aren't hurt.

It's ok - unfortunate, but a person's right - to choose to die. Doing it in a way that causes such irreparable harm to people is horrible.
>>
>>18556928
sometimes people just don't listen because they don't really give a shit. Like my parents always said my depression was just for attention. Then I slashed my wrists. Still didn't change their idea about it.
>>
>>18556928
It's very risky to tell people, because they will with no doubt call the cops to come stop you and slam you in a mental asylum if you do.

Even if they tell you on the phone and then pull the trigger immediately after, you're not gonna feel better. Telling you beforehand literally changes nothing.
>>
I feel that suicide is a very personal individual decision and the reaction others have to it is entirely on them. I believe you can argue that it is ethical. That said the suicide of somebody who over time has come to a very rational conclusion and made the decision to end their own life is very different to suicide in somebody making a knee jerk response, maybe at a young age as a jilted lover or during a vulnerable time when struggling with situational life problems and these decisions often are more indicative of a failure to support or provide access to help and as such can be seen as a tragedy. If somebody kills themselves because they are alone, have nobody to talk to, debt problems, no access to health care, feel that their situation is hopeless in regards to access to basic human rights and needs then these are all societal problems which we have the capacity to prevent and as such it can be seen as a tragic failing of society.

I've a two different friends who had family members (brothers) kill themselves in their early 20's. They get very down about it around anniversaries and various milestones which bring to mind the feeling that they are 'missing', especially when they are drunk and feeling morose. Pretty normal stuff, could they have maybe seen the signs? Could they have done something different to prevent it? Struggling to come to terms with the decision and the fact that it now cannot be undone/questioned.

Should they have killed themselves? It was kind of on them. Should their family carry this burden? Grief, loss and regret are normal reactions. All I can ethically do is to show normal empathy and remove myself from their company if it gets too much/too self indulgent.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.