[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /adv/, so my younger brother just told me he wants to be an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Hi /adv/, so my younger brother just told me he wants to be an artist, he is in his second year of architecture and he is very good at it, but he told me he is bored of the "lineality" and rules of architecture, he clamis he wants just to express himself without any limitations, he is very good at drawing, painting, sculpting, etc.., I've seen some of his work before and he is actually very talented and he told me he feels he is wasting his talent. Well the thing is he is a christian man, he is very religious and I find it a bit hard to understand how is he gonna do when he goes into liberals arts at college (which is his plan at the moment) since he is gonna be dealing with all these liberal retards and all the bullshit liberal arts come with. So like his older brother my question is what should I do about it? should I support my brother? should I tell him to think better his decision? It's quite important to me since I really love him and i want the best for him, so if you guys have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
>>
You dont get a degree in art for any reason other than to be an art teacher. Art school is just more stupid "linear" classes like math and whatever the else stupid GE classes they have you take, so they can line their pockets with more money.

My advice to him as an artist who has gone to art school: dont unless you want to be an art teacher which requires some sort of degree.

If he is truly an artist, then he can see that everything, including architecture, can be seen from an artistic point of view.

Keep on going to school and do art on the side.
>>
>>18554909
Also another thing about being an artist. You create the art because thats what you do, then you put it out there with no expectations of anyone seeing it. If 100,000 people or 10 see it, it shouldnt matter to you.

If, over time, you keep putting out quality art, people will find you and you'll gain in popularity. But until it becomes self sustaining you NEED some other job to pay your bills, keep you motivated, blah blah you need moneh.
>>
>>18554909
Also, the amount of available tutorials and whatnot free online is always growing and available, if he wants the teaching.

If he wont learn for free why would he learn for money.
>>
>>18554909
> online college cheaper
>>
>>18554942
One of his reasons is he says he needs a "guide", he knows he is talented, but he is not sure on how to explode all that talent and I guess he is looking for someone to help him achieving that.
>>
>>18554942
>>18554945
>>18554951

Couldn't have said it any better.

Also, artists are meant to question everything - that's why they are overwhelmingly liberal as a population.
>>
>>18554909
Something you and he should understand:

Making art is a matter of craft and skill as well as impulse and even talent. Every great artist, however revolutionary or individual they became, began by studying and copying the generation before them, to hone their craft as well as to learn exactly what it was they were eventually going to rebel against. Look at the very early Van Gogh, Picasso, Warhol and others, and you'll see very conventional stuff.

The "lineality" of architecture may be exactly the formal training he needs.
>>
>>18555011
He needs to ask himself what he enjoys doing in the art field. It doesn't matter if that ends up being a painter or a 3D modeler but he needs to find that out and he needs to try to be the best at it. If your aim is not to be the best then you'll never succeed
>>
>>18555051
He told me one of his final goals is to have a gallery, I think he is most inclined towards painting
>>
File: IMG_1375.jpg (2MB, 2881x3780px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1375.jpg
2MB, 2881x3780px
33yo BFA alumni here

My best advice is to take a year out, paint as much as possible, go to as many art openings/private views as possible, read up on contemporary painters (he probably already got a fair understanding of modern and postmodern, and through his architecture studies he's gained the discourse needed to how to into art theory, etc.,) then see if there's any way of saving up money to rent a cheap, preferably unused venue and put up a show of his work, possibly a group show with people he'll meet at said art openings.

Then, see if he still want this life, because I can tell you it's fucking hard and nobody should be doing it if it wasn't necessary in order to stay sane.
>>
>>18555110
Thanks anon, this looks like a solid advice, I think he needs time to think a bit more about this although he says it's something he's been thinking for a while now. He already talked to our parents and they said they support him and my oldest brother who is a doctor thinks it's ok too, but I'm the closest person to him in our family since we are both almost the same age, as I said in earlier he is a very religious guy and me being and atheist didn't affect our relationship at all, but he somehow suggested me that God helped him to take this decision. Also he told me he wants to learn english, I think it's ok since we live in a third world shithole but it's still kinda weird as I think art is an universal language. I think the best he could do now is to improve his english for the next year or so while he explores more on art and make his final decision
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.