[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Master thesis may or may not suck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1467667040496.jpg (783KB, 1920x1263px) Image search: [Google]
1467667040496.jpg
783KB, 1920x1263px
I'm finishing my master thesis at this moment, and I'm afraid it might be shit.

If I submit it, I'll have to present it soon. Do I act confident or self-aware of the issues with it?

I don't want to go to my own funeral, so I'm considering not submitting it at all for the next 6 months or so, but that seems stupid since my promotor is a chill dude who'll probably let me pass anyway. I don't want to let him down though, he's expecting a lot from me and right now I feel like my work is simply not good enough.

I've never been unsure about the quality my own work before, so this is new to me. What do?
>>
Have you not got a supervisor who has read over it...?
>>
Absolutely be confident. Even if you feel that your work is shit, don't show a trace of doubt. Odds are that it's actually good and you're just nervous. Even if it isn't that good, you can still convince everyone that it is if you act confident enough. People tend to believe you if you seem sure of what you're saying, even if they're academics. I can't count the number of times I have passed various exams through sheer audacity alone. You'll be fine. Good luck.
>>
>>18550915
That would be my promotor, but he's pretty laid back and I'm a procrastinator so we never got around to that. It's too late now anyway, it's due in 10 days.

>>18550918
That's true. I'm just worried. Usually I know when something's good and I know when something's shit. Right now I have no idea what to think, which drives me crazy.
>>
This probably does not help you at all: I feel the very same way.

And we are most likely not the only ones. It is probably just last minute panic and everything will turn out fine.
>>
>>18551045
Your advisor is a dick, but your thesis will pass unless it is absolute shit. Your professors want to pass you: you would have to give them a startlingly bad document and defense in order to change their minds.

t. Professor with PhD
>>
>>18551126
>Your advisor is a dick
He's not, really. He's a great guy and a superb mind in his field of research, but as a teaching professor he's no good. He knows that and I knew it when I signed up with him anyway, so I can't really blame him.

>Your professors want to pass you: you would have to give them a startlingly bad document and defense in order to change their minds.
Idk, a mate of mine got flunked earlier rather unexpectedly. I'm absolutely sure my promotor won't flunk me though, but there's a second reader who might and she gets to give 50% of the points or something.

>>18551119
It could be yeah. Other times during the year I thought it was going okay. It's just that I'm kinda rushing everything now to get it done and the flaws appear way more obvious all of a sudden. Idk..
>>
>>18550913
Words of wisdom from my advisor when I began my PhD dissertation:

"Don't make it good. Get it done."

He didn't mean I should hand in shit. He relied on my own set of standards to produce something worthwhile. He was just aware that the fear of not being brilliant has paralysed too many good students.

Hey, it's only a MA thesis. They don't expect brilliance. They just want to see that you can do it at all.
>>
>>18551578
This. Honest to god, my advisor said the same and was just as right. Done is better than perfect.
>>
>>18551578
>>18551602

That's actually pretty helpful, thanks anons.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.