[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How old is too old to go to university and make a career out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: books.png (87KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
books.png
87KB, 300x300px
How old is too old to go to university and make a career out of it. I imagine stuff like this gets asked quit often, but this is a serious question. Would like to hear from people who did it at a later point in their lives, and how did it go.
>>
>>18550583
I was at an vocational school specialized for teaching arts and IT stuff, and the school was mostly really young people, but on my course, there were couple of middle-aged people, and one woman was literally like 50-something.

In one college course I was at, the oldest guy was like 29-something years old.

There really is no age for college that is too old, but if you have a grumpy mindset where you think you know it better than the teachers, that's when you are not fit for college anymore.
>>
>>18550602
Thank you for you answer. Do you know what became of some of those people? This is more about how successful can you be in once you receive your education at a later point in your life.
>>
>>18550610
Most of the older ones were already working on a solid career path somewhere and attended the course just to learn new skills or make changes in their profession. I actually preferred some of the middle-aged students to people my age, because they seemed really passionate about the field and it was interesting to listen to their rambling stories. One 40-year-old man on the other course that I sometimes talked with was really interesting, he seemed to be simultaneously into graphic design and believed conspiracy theories.

Only downside of those older students is that they sometimes get too autistic about some details and start arguing with the teachers or ask too many questions, generally just stretching the lectures/seminars to drag on for longer than they should be.
>>
I've seen people in university that are much closer to death than a career. Age doesn't matter when deciding to go to school, income does.
>>
>>18550635
Thats pretty funny. Its not that I am that old. I am only 22 years old but I failed my second year of A levels ( That is high school in US) due to developing this crippling intrusive thoughts OCD, which is a real shame because in the first year I aced all of my maths, and science exams. By the time I would finish university I would be 26, and I want to know how bright my career prospects would be at that age. Also big problem is that I have only worked very shitty jobs in my life with no real opportunities.
>>
>>18550639
Yeah this is more about that
>>
One of my friends from uni is literally my mother's age.
>>
>>18550652
That sounds young still. I am older than you by now, 24, and I would never have a second thought about taking up a course if I had to, I just don't deem it necessary because I've spent huge part of my years in a classroom already and feel like I need more practical experience actually doing stuff at this point, but I understand if some people have a really weak base and need more technical/theoretical background before moving on to work in the field.

Also, by the time you are 26, that is still a young as fuck age. I've heard that a man is expected to start his dream career path at 30 and lands at the peak of his career at 40-50. When you are 20-something, you can still afford to dick around, as long as you spend at least some of your 20's doing even as little as shit jobs or low-tier education.
>>
>>18550686
Its got alot to do with a fear of 30 being the cut off age for success, and If I have not landed a high paying job by then I feel like I will be a failure. Also having 0 clue on how to develop a career has alot to do with that fear. I have no clue on how to climb in my job and so forth.
>>
>>18550698
It's not that difficult. Start with going for the courses, don't worry about anything else. Try to focus on your studies the most for few years, then near your graduation year, focus on getting a good internship. School will help you wil this a lot if you show active interest. From the internship program, you start to build your work experience in the field. Nobody really cares if you spent 5 years doing "nothing" since people tend to discover their calling at different times, and this is known to employers and such. Did you know that J. K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter when she was 40, working an entry-level job? It's more odd than it's not, but it's not out of this world that you start your career later.

Seriously, you are worrying about the wrong things. Don't take too long strides at once. First step you can do that is real simple, just pick an affordable school that offers the course you need and attend it. If you have money problems, it's not a problem, you can take a part-time course where most stuff you get online, and use your free time to work entry level part-time job in meanwhile. This is not as bad as it sounds, since at least half of your week, you are putting your efforts towards building up to a real career prospect.
>>
>>18550732
Thank you for this.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.