[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to learn about business? I'm currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: GreedyFatCat-2.jpg (74KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
GreedyFatCat-2.jpg
74KB, 480x270px
What's the best way to learn about business? I'm currently going to school for a skilled trade and would love to open my own business at some point.
>>
>>18548840

working at one. plus business school I imagine, but I just did the former and not the latter.

if your business is based around your skilled trade its not the same thing as a legit business. Legally I mean yes, but you don't need to know the ins and outs of business and marketing and such.

with a skilled trade you basically have a built in market based on need. Plumbers need minimal advertising cuz people just go with what pops up on google. so needing to know about business isn't necessary. it may legally be a business but its not remotely the same thing as running a business.
>>
>>>/biz/
>>
>>18549101
not a nice place don't do /biz
>>
>>18549101
biz is fucking crypto cancer you faggot
>>
first impressions first, so brand yourself. choose a name, get a logo, throw them both onto a letterhead template along with your company address phone fax and email, come up with a motto/slogan, rearrange all this info onto a business card. if you're going digital as well, checking domain name and social media username availability is part of step 1, and including your website applies to all the rest

determine what licensing and certification you need to do business in your area and which local regional and national bodies you'll remit taxes to, pull up the applications print em and start filling them out. note the costs associated. note the information they ask for that you don't have yet, or have never heard of before, and go look those all up and repeat this same process til you've run out of requirements to fulfill and everything is "filled out".

now determine what you need to operate on an ongoing daily basis. facility, vehicle, equipment, tools, materials, supplies? fees for rent, insurance, utilities are pretty much a given...any others? advertising, postage, merchant services/payment processing, membership dues? now the various people: professional fees (accountant, attorney, logo guy, etc), staff (for what positions, in what order, and at which stages?), suppliers (who are you sourcing your stock from when you run out and need to order more?), customers/clients (who's paying you to do stuff? private individuals? other businesses?)

business model time. what are you selling -- are you service or product based? if the former, is it a recurring service? do you take on large projects? do you charge an hourly rate or offer quotes following an initial consultation? or will you be manufacturing physical items? for sale direct to consumers at the end-user level, commercially for retail, or for industrial production?)
>>
to keep track of it all, you start by drawing up a chart of accounts. when you do a search on what those are quickbooks and a bunch of other software will come up. no real harm in jumping straight in there if you prefer but better recommendation is to do it by hand old school style on paper. that way what you're teaching yourself includes the basic conceptual understanding of what's what and how it's all related. the software will make more sense when you go to learn it and more importantly you'll have a better grasp on the flow of finances in your business.

go back through the first post. assign all that stuff to the appropriate accounts. now you can into the software. find a freeware program or grab a free trial of something you can play around with that doesn't require you to official register anything. if it's home budget personal finance type stuff as its main marketing point it's not what you want. stick to the business stuff. the important feature is double-entry. the rest depends on what your needs and requirements are.

get your file set up. get your chart of accounts dialed in. start making some entries. initial start-up costs first. essentially you're just playing the pretend of going through the motions. if it's necessary to get yourself up and running and there's a dollar amount associated with it, you should have an entry made for the transaction by the time you finish this part. make a note of the final figure. better yet, use the software and generate a report if you're able.
>>
next up ask the interwebs for a randomly generated list of names and addresses or just make them up yourself. these are your customers. factor in the time each step would take if you were actually doing it for real, give yourself a bit more than you think you'll need, and line up a month's worth of jobs. go in order from start to finish on each one and make the entries needed to track it all along the way. when you reach the end of the month, check your figures and see where your numbers are pointing. what's your cost of goods sold? what's your revenue? where's that leave you in terms of gross profit for the month & what's your margin? how about with operating expenses factored in, what'd you net? if you're not satisfied by those figures, what needs adjustments and where can they realistically be made? if your software has made reporting available to you, start with Profit and Loss and Income Statement. if you can generate others, do so. study them all.

now you've got a outline mapped out for how much startup capital you'll need and a rough idea of what an average month might look like. when you set out to do this for real, this will be one of the first steps you actually take in the whole process: apply for a loan if you need one and open a business checking account with a bank or credit union. there's all sorts of considerations here and they'll become apparent once you start looking into it. shop around and find what suits your needs best. skip the flashy clickbait stuff on the homepage and go straight to the schedule of fees. that's the nuts and bolts for making your comparisons and deciding on who to go with.

you'll already have been making use of a pretend checking account in the software but for completeness sake don't forget to categorize the bank fees into your chart of accounts

have fun anon~
>>
>>18549386
>>18549633
>>18549638
Wow, thanks anon
>>
>>18549276
Cryptocurrency seems like a scam? I don't know much about it but it seems like it's too easily manipulated by speculators and that this is just a bubble. I highly doubt the systems in place would let some unregulated currency takeover... unless some of those very people are in involved in it to make money of themselves
>>
>>18549669
very welcome. wish you and everybody else in similar shoes all the success in the world.
>>
>>18549101
lol
>>
>>18549242
/adv/ isn't either
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.