[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So here's the deal: in 2014 I completed a degree in Philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: co3000a.png (1MB, 1024x743px) Image search: [Google]
co3000a.png
1MB, 1024x743px
So here's the deal: in 2014 I completed a degree in Philosophy from a great school, but unsurprisingly it has proved useless for good jobs. I've kind of just been floating around since then and working at a restaurant.

I want to go back to school. One option I really like is a Master of Social Work degree, and the second option is doing a second undergraduate degree in Computer Science. I'm open to either but there are obstacles for both.

MSW: I have the grades to get into the program, but they also require reference letters and work or volunteer experience. I can probably get 2 of the 3 required reference letters if I pull some strings, but I'm kind of worried I won't get into the program because I have zero related experience (I do have lived serious mental illness experience which might actually count for something). I have to apply in December. I can start volunteering right now and maybe get my third reference letter that way (it can be academic or work related), but a lot of volunteer places only give you a letter after 6 months.

BSc Comp Sci: I'd have to take a bunch of math and program courses. Historically I have been bad at these, but my work ethic is a lot better now so things might be different. But If I pay for the courses I have to take to get into the degree program and fail them, it's a ton of wasted money.

Which should I pick? I like both of them equally but frankly can see myself doing Social Work more than Comp Sci because it matches my temperament. But at the same time, I could add a Statistics major to my Comp Sci degree and do some really useful Social Work research

Thanks.
>>
File: co3000b.png (318KB, 496x360px) Image search: [Google]
co3000b.png
318KB, 496x360px
>>18546124
please help me
>>
>>18546124
>Philosophy degree
>>
Social workers tend to be miserable burnt out husks of people. Generally because they are bright and cheery and genuinely want to better the world, and are instead bombarded with the most intense unadulterated niggerdom for decades at a time. Parents starving their kids, hoarders, people living in bedbug roach black mold infested shitholes with 3 dogs who defecate inside because taking them for a walk is too much work. You wont even be dealing with the bottom of the barrel of society; youll be dealing with the fucking dirt that the barrel is standing on.

Like yeah its a noble profession but unless you are pretty heartless and dont really experience empathy its a very destructive field to enter. Typically people who become social workers are very empathetic though and want to help, and wind up being the least suited for the job since it eats them alive and spits them back out every day until they just hate everyone and everything.

I wouldnt get into it personally.
>>
>>18547153 is a possibility but nothing definitive. I think an MSW is a better choice because it's a masters degree which will put you in good standing (plus you can just get a teaching job or even something administrative) as far as career possibilities and it seems better-suited for you from what you've told us. Can the volunteer experience be anything? Try a soup kitchen or local United Way or something.
>>
>>18547167
Well I live in a big city so even finding volunteer work is a challenge because everyone is trying to pad their resumes. I'm not totally sure on what kind of volunteer experience they want, I think it's just general exposure to a Social Work context.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.