[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is teaching overseas a good career path?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: teacher.jpg (22KB, 300x201px) Image search: [Google]
teacher.jpg
22KB, 300x201px
Only started thinking of it recently and I know very little about it (leaving highschool).
>>
Define good career path.
>>
From what I've heard the best thing is the pay. You would need to be fluent in whatever language of the country you would be teaching in. It would be too much of a culture shock for me, especially somewhere in Asia.
>>
>>18542502
One with lots of interracial sex
>>
>>18542502
Something you could enjoy and feel like the amount of effort you put in decides how good your output is, not like an office job where you're dispensable.
Also if it leaves room for career changes down the line.
>>
>>18542499
bump if it works on /adv/
>>
>>18542499
First thing I'd ask is if you think you'd enjoy teaching. That's probably the most important part - a friend of mine tried it and realised she hated it after moving overseas.

I only know about teaching in Eastern countries, nothing about Africa etc.0

As for a career path - I'm not sure.
In Japan the demand and pay is very low, it's possible to open your own school after some years if you're a hard worker.

I have a friend teaching in Taiwan, she doesn't enjoy the work but she says the demand is high over there.
Korea also has a high demand.

Also assuming you're teaching English, it's an entry-level job which most people use for ~2 years as an overseas experience.
I know one guy who taught for maybe 4 years total in Korea and Japan, then through connections got a full time job as a real English teacher at a private high school in Japan.
Another is working on getting a masters degree so that he can teach at university, which I've heard pays reasonably.

Well that's all I know. If you enjoy helping people it can be pretty rewarding.
>>
>>18543335
Would you say your friends are absolutely fluent speakers in the language of their new countries?
>>
>>18542507

my friend went to columbia when he was younger and said all of the girls loved american guys and thought they were exotic.

this was like 15 years ago though so attitudes may have changed.
>>
Currently teaching in Taiwan, previously spent time in mainland China, and I've had friends who taught in Japan. It really depends on what country you pick, dude - I mean, none of the major East Asian countries are uniformly hellish to teach in or anything, but they all have different pros and cons.

Understand, unless you pick mainland China, you are going to NEED a college degree (any major) to do this. In most countries schools cannot even legally hire a teacher without a bachelor's. Of course some are willing to hire you illegally but trust me, that's not a good route to go down. A TEFL/COEFL certificate may or may not be necessary depending on the country you pick. I don't have one.

>>18542505
>You would need to be fluent in whatever language of the country you would be teaching in.
Nope. It really helps, of course, but many TEFL teachers don't speak a lick of Chinese or Japanese etc.

Which country are you thinking about teaching in? Or are you completely flexible? In general as the above poster said, the demand is lower in Japan than in Taiwan/China. Can't really speak as to Korea, but I've heard the market is OK but not great. There's plenty of demand in SE Asian countries, Cambodia, Thailand, the Philippines, but those are less developed countries (outside the major cities) and come with their own sets of challenges.

People talk shit about ESL teachers but honestly if you're smart and do your research it can be a pretty good job for a couple of years. Whether you see yourself teaching long-term or not, you do need to make sure to be proactive about developing your resume/career while you're working so that you don't end up ten years later, still making the same pay as you were when you were 25, qualified to do exactly zero things besides teaching in a shitty cram school in a second-rate town in China.
>>
>>18543783
I'd say flexible but I see a greater appeal in Asia than elsewhere due to a whole new culture and way of life. Preferably a safe country.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.