[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting married early?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170720_194434.jpg (28KB, 540x538px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_194434.jpg
28KB, 540x538px
I guess I'll jump right into it. Here's some context; I'm currently in a relationship with a man I care very deeply for. We are both 18, and just beginning our lives together - and, well, beginning our lives period.
However, he wants to join the military.

This is all fine and dandy! Admirable, even, as I am not the sort of person who could do the same for the American people, and I respect him endlessly. The catch is, he wants to join the Navy. This means that he will almost certainly be deployed quite a ways from our current city of residence, and for a lengthy chunk of time. He is a genuine person, thoughtful, intelligent, responsible, compassionate, driven, and motivated (no thanks to his crap family) and very much the elusive type of individual that one encounters once or twice in a lifetime if they are very, VERY lucky. I love him, dearly. He says he feels the same, but we are both concerned what such lengthy amounts of time will do to our relationship, even if we are certain the foundation is strong. Hence, he brought up the idea of my going with him when he is sent from base to base. Thing is, I can't go as his gf for obvious reasons, but as his wife. Neither of us are particularly traditional, or religious, and therefore don't view marriage as much more than a social contract out of convenience and (less frequently than you'd think) romance. Of course, even though I'm sure I love him and want it to last, I fully understand the statistic likelihood of divorce (esp marrying so early) and intend to sign the fuck out of a prenup should I decide to go ahead with it, and reject alimony payments.

I know that I want to, as this could undoubtedly be one of those 'once in a lifetime' opportunities, but I figured I should get the perspective of others (aside from family and friends) before I made any important decisions for fear of being overly reckless.
What do you think, /adv/?
>>
>>18539974
>We are both 18
Stopped reading here, don't get married
>>
>>18539974

If you can't love each other enough to stay apart for a while, forget marriage.

My GF and I will be long distance pretty soon. If we can manage this for three years then marriage is an option.

If not, I'm gonna find someone new
>>
>>18539987
I appreciate your response, but at least read all of it, please.
>>
>>18540001
Yeah? Why will you be long distance, out of curiosity?
>>
>>18540013

We're from different countries. I have to go back home to get a degree
>>
>>18540001
This.

Also, even if you say that both of you only view marriage as a social contract, those kind of things often get tangled with feelings and the such. Your judgment does sound good on paper, but real life is way messier than that.

I'd advice you two to wait. If your relationship is meant to last, it will be able to handle some distance.
>>
>>18539974
>Married at 18
there's no discussion. You're too you g and you will regret it. Your boyfriend at 18 isn't going to be the same man when he's 25, or even 20. Adulthood changes people.

Im not telling you to dump him, Im telling you to consider all the possibilities, even the painful ones.
>>
>>18540001
that's heavy. good luck anon, I hope it all works out.
>>
>>18540033
Hmmm. Across the board (or, well, thread) I see that the negative is the majority. Technically, the only answer, here.

I see. You guys are right, it's probably for the best. Ahhh, it will be pretty painful, you know? But, that's correct. We are both much too young. If the relationship we have is what I believe it is, I will be able to handle it.
>>
>>18540030
What country? Best of luck with your girl. I hope all goes well!
>>
>>18539974
Kys
>>
File: 1499302081993.jpg (22KB, 460x458px) Image search: [Google]
1499302081993.jpg
22KB, 460x458px
>>18540292
Ok.
>>
wait a couple years, and then tie the knot. 2 years is how long it takes to really get to know someone, and by that point infatuation hormones will have worn off.
>>
>>18539974
I married my high school sweetheart at 19 after I joined the military - so this is right up my alley. response coming.
>>
>>18539974
>we are both concerned what such lengthy amounts of time will do to our relationship, even if we are certain the foundation is strong
It's 100% about the quality of your communication with each other, and not necessarily about the volume of it. I'm in the Air Force and my job makes me leave the country for weeks at a time, and most of the time I only get a 2 day notice. Last year I spent 274 days outside of the US, and didn't deploy once. The thing that sustains our marriage is the fact that we don't small talk. We talk about things that matter. We ask how each other felt, was there something especially awesome/shitty that day, or whatever. Instead of droning on about the whether, we talk to each other about each other. It's absolutely necessary for a military marriage to work.

>I can't go as his gf for obvious reasons,
You can, he just won't be able to move your stuff for free. When he gets orders, he'll have a weight limit of how much crap he can take...and most movers will actually pack your shit up too so long as you don't exceed that limit. The thing you lose out on is how much money he gets to purchase hotels during the move. (Ex: I got sent from CA to TX. Military said it's 5 days travel time. I got $120 a day in cash to cover expenses. I also got paid an extra 75% of that for my spouse, and 50% extra for each kid. Your boyfriend will just get the basic rates until you get married & put on his orders.

>What do you think, /adv/?
If you two know, for a fact, that you want to be together forever, and you're okay with being on literal other sides of the planet of each other for extended period of times - I say go for it.

If you're married, both yours and his quality of life will be so much better. Since you guys don't see the marriage as a religious institution you should just JOP it for the convenience.

And one thing to keep in mind, some states don't give a shit if you guys signed a pre-nup.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.