[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TLDR: How do I become a monk?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 5546u.png (446KB, 492x479px) Image search: [Google]
5546u.png
446KB, 492x479px
Basically I want to become some sort of monk or recluse, but I don't know where to start, and feel powerless to change anything in my life due to limiting present circumstances. For the last 4 years, I felt that my immediate mission in life is to win the lottery, I have become very passionate and extremely obsessed with it, and my life revolves around this desire. I have searched for any other options, but nothing seemed feasible until I have some better success with the gambling. I also have felt that until this happens, I have little to no agency in life, and am just waiting to something to change.

What I envision is mainly to get to live a peaceful life without being limited by money and get to just exist freely. Having safe and comfortable places to live and stay at while traveling, enjoying quality food, driving to more nature places instead of just roaming the same streets, going for very long walks often, spending the rest of the time consuming entertainment, and doing various yogic and meditation practices, like a semi-monk. I have seemed to master the art of happiness in all other regards, I feel like I have a solid internal compass where I grant myself limitless happiness, self worth and self love, don't seek status or material possessions, and have adapted well to living solitary and celibate. The only thing missing is financial means, but I don't feel there is any way to make this vision I just expressed a reality other than gambling on the lottery, or finding some enabler to support my ideal lifestyle. I am open to changing everything about my perspective though, because there are so many unknown-unknowns possible.
>>
My present circumstances are that I have no car, no license, no where to park a car even, live in an uncomfortable home environment (sleep in the living room of widowed mother's apartment, with lots of outside and inside noise, no heat or ac), delayed sleep phase disorder, aspergers and a host of other physical and mental limitations that hinder every alternative thats ever been suggested to me. I don't want to work a job ever again, and have been unable to get any job I even applied to since I was fired from Whole Foods 7 years ago. I have partial access to a small trust fund I inherited, and the last 2 months I spent an exorbitant amount of money on lottery tickets, to the point where now I need to severely restrict any spending until next year, and greatly scale back lottery gambling. I used to think I would eventually choose suicide if I never won the lottery, but have since recognized that I have incredible resilience, a sense that I can endure anything. But this resilience is only a passive strength, not something that gives me any external power, only internal power to resist negativity and maintain a zen state of mind.

So right now what I am looking for are other ways I can live a happy and healthy life even if I never win the lottery, yet still am unwilling or unable to become a wage slave or careerperson- there is some other option, an unknown-unknown. Perhaps something of a modern day monk, where my needs will be provided for in exchange for just being myself in a way that helps others. I feel the ultimate accomplishment is not needing to accomplish anything, and to get to create things without ever expecting money in return.
>>
My dude if you are serious then monasteries are a thing in the modern world, but if you aren't the religious type then you'll have to work.

You want to make something great for the world to enjoy, I feel that hard, but the fact of the matter is that we have our dues to pay,

You have internal peace, that's good...now use it to get what needs to be done.

You have to eat, drink, and stay warm

You probably want to retire someday comfortably

You want time to do what you love.

Get a job that isn't very demanding, and if you're happy there then so be it, if not then...get used to it I guess, it's something everyone has to deal with.
>>
if you feel powerless, then push. if it pushes back, push harder. keep pushing until you destroy the thing pushing you down.
>>
File: 847.jpg (150KB, 866x640px) Image search: [Google]
847.jpg
150KB, 866x640px
>>18537547
>My dude if you are serious then monasteries are a thing in the modern world, but if you aren't the religious type then you'll have to work.
I'm spiritual but not religious, so what I'm looking for are monastic environments who expect devotion to God but don't require adherence to holy texts as if they are the definitive word of the divine. Certainly there exists places where men into yoga and meditation, desiring a retreat from the material rat race and acceptance of celibacy have established settlements.

>You want to make something great for the world to enjoy, I feel that hard, but the fact of the matter is that we have our dues to pay,
Thats the masculine male rationalizing his own disposability, the long held belief that a man's only value is in what he produces. There are so many people on this planet, they like to believe they have a special role to play, that they are needed and useful, but this isn't the case. And in the present environment its a maladaptive mindset. If you can "make something great for the world to enjoy" then great, but if not, then it doesn't matter. You can have an internal focus of self-esteem that does not depend on external validation, and you need no attachment to any image of masculinity, whether biological or socially constructed.

>You have internal peace, that's good...now use it to get what needs to be done.
Repeating myself: This resilience is only a passive strength, not something that gives me any external power, only internal power to resist negativity and maintain a zen state of mind.
>You have to eat, drink, and stay warm
>You probably want to retire someday comfortably
I'd rather live free and die at 60 than work till I'm 70 and then only be free in old age.
>You want time to do what you love.
>Get a job that isn't very demanding, and if you're happy there then so be it, if not then...get used to it I guess, it's something everyone has to deal with.
What is stopping work-slaves form just suiciding?
>>
>>18537603
There is nothing to even push against, thats the whole point. Nice vague empty platitude.
>>
>>18537617
My dude that's not me rationalizing my own disposability, that's me saying that if you don't ever till the ground then what will you have to eat?

Places like that do exist, but without adherence to a holy text? That's harder to say.

Buddhist Temples, The Amish are both examples of living away from the clutter of modern life to focus on the spiritual aspect of life.

If you want to go to that life, do so by all means, but just remember that it will require hard work as well to till your own soil, draw your own water, and save enough food for the coming winter.
>>
>>18537643
There is no ground to till. You can see what the ants, birds, squirrels and beavers do, but what do humans do? This is a desolate wasteland of modern day slavery, never a path of simply do X acquire currency. And I also mention I have a 7 year employment gap following termination at my last wagecuck job, and actually applied to over 100 part time positions this year and got nothing.

>>18537643
>If you want to go to that life, do so by all means, but just remember that it will require hard work as well to till your own soil, draw your own water, and save enough food for the coming winter.
This is why I focuses so long and so hard on winning the lottery, so I can take from society whatever I need but fuck off and do my own thing the rest of the time. Live in a rustic condo development, where I spend half the day reading and meditating and the rest I drive to the mountains and go for long hikes. I do that often now except in an uncomfortable shithole apartment and walk everywhere cause no car, mostly on the street.
>>
>>18537656
Shouldn't use ants as a metaphor for not wanting to work since they're the closest thing we know to living machine my dude.

Birds? Get shot, hunted, die of disease, die of starvation, die from electricity, die from territorial disputes, same with any animal.

Ok so then this all boils down to you thinking that you're above working.

The average joe sees a job as a way to get money, which they use to buy food, water, shelter, etc.

You want to skip the work part and just have money to buy food, water, shelter, etc.

Hell I want that too but there is nowhere in the world you can go and do nothing but meditate and hike all day without working at least somewhat.

Monastaries and the Amish grow their own food and water and build their own shelters, even those who are free from the rat race still work hard.

Don't try to act like you're above working, no one likes it but we have to do it eventually. In the end you are human just like me and the average joe working in a coal mine or at a walmart
>>
>>18537680
>Monastaries and the Amish grow their own food and water and build their own shelters, even those who are free from the rat race still work hard.
Yes, but in those situations you live simply, are taken care of by the community, and the work is right there in front of you or readily assigned. Totally incomparable to wage slavery where I can't even compete for a $10/hour job washing and cutting vegetables.
>>
>>18537700
So to clarify, its not that I'm work averse but averse to having a job, and I see no opportunity where I can just do work on my own and money will materialize. I am thinking about monastic communities where you are devoted to spiritual practice and have your food and shelter provided, as well as your work. Some monasteries are famous for their beers and cookies they make.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer
>>
>>18537710
Then you need to be physically ready for those jobs if you want them, and also you're not likely to find any monastic community that doesn't adhere to some kind of text or ideology, so you will probably have to accept that if you are to join their community....if they accept you.
>>
>>18537731
I think so. Jesus, Hashem, Allah, Vishnu, Zeus, Kek, Gaia, whatever, it is all the same God. 3 years ago I would have considered myself atheist probably, so I will likely be letting go even more and embracing religion more as I retreat from materialism.
>>
>>18537747
Yeah so if your heart is set on that then make sure you are ready physically and mentally for it, also make sure to look into it as well, don't jump into something without knowing about it
>>
>>18537753
of course. Currently researching and asking around, probably will speak to some religious leaders too.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.