[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone know music theory?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: 20170630_121627.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170630_121627.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
New to site; I've been playing guitar for 10 years now and I'm pretty decent other than the fact of not knowing how to read actual music notes. I've been using tabs for ages. Just no clue where to start to get me out of this plateau.
>>
Learn to read sheet music.
Learn all 12 major scales.
Learn all modal scales.
Learn all minor scales
>>
>>18536808
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/modern-guitar-method-mel-bay-publications-inc-staff/1122984370/2691137757776?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+greatbookprices_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP24002&k_clickid=3x24002

it's about how to play notes, not how to play guitar. you should pick it right up and eventually move on to music theory.
>>
Thanks for the help guys, can't say I've heard of modal scales but will look into it
>>
File: Shawn Lane at Delta State 1b.jpg (33KB, 631x474px) Image search: [Google]
Shawn Lane at Delta State 1b.jpg
33KB, 631x474px
>>18536808
Since you already read tab you'll get farther sooner with some basic theory than with reading, so I'd prioritize that first. Reading is of course great, but unless you plan on reading a lot it won't be as immediately helpful as theory. Reading will help you by giving you new things to play, but theory, even the slightest bit of it, will start to unlock *why* things work the way they do, and *how* to create the harmonies and melodies you want. It doesn't even take that long to get basic scales-modes-chords down, especially since you already play. So I'd suggest starting there.

Reading is also harder on guitar than on piano because a particular pitch can be played in multiple places, and how to notate all sorts of interesting things like palm muting, pinch harmonics, and different kinds of vibrato is not at all obvious - let alone standardized. (That's sort of why tablature was created, as a more instrument-appropriate form of notation for guitar.)

There are enormous amounts of guitar education resources available online. What's best for you depends on whether you like watching videos or reading books. I can definitely recommend Jesse Gress' books (full disclosure: Jesse's a friend), but there are tons of others.

My personal favorite books were by Ted Greene, especially the legendary "Chord Chemistry." Here's Tommy Emmanuel singing its praises: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO2Pu3Dadkw

Ted Greene clinic (at MI, I think): WATCH THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZAwxpco0DE

Good luck and I hope you leave your plateau soon.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.