[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pronounciation thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1432574229275.jpg (91KB, 640x932px) Image search: [Google]
1432574229275.jpg
91KB, 640x932px
How do you say "th"?
Like if you say thing, or deathstar

I've always had a hard time saying it, like I have to say deafstar instead of deathstar.
Normally I put my tongue out between my teeth when I say it, as I'm trying around now though I feel like maybe it sounds better/is easier to pronounce if you put your tongue down behind the bottom row of teeth?

Where do people normally have their tongue when they say it?
>>
File: untitled.jpg (10KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
10KB, 409x409px
>>18531719
Look up the videos by either Coach Shane or Rachel's English on youtube, I think both have explained this pronounciation and they are cool teachers.
I personally put my tongue touching my top teeth, and my lower lip right under my tongue, touching the toungue.
>>
>>18531736
Do you have an underbite? I'm trying it out and it feels kind of hard
>>
>>18531860
I do but that's not the point lmao. It's all about touching the upper teeth with your tongue. Then try to make air go between the teeth and tongue, even if they are touching. The rest of the mouth doesn't matter, only the top teeth and your tongue.
>>
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUAYmTnWaCY
I hope I didn't pick the wrong one
>>
>>18531886
Yeah, I started watching that one; the way she uses her tongue is between the teeth though, which is what I do now which doesn't seem to work very well.

>>18531881
Oh alright. It works alright, although there's a lisp to it right now. Putting it behind the bottom row seems to work better for me, I think
>>
>>18531894
I see, yeah I think some people have different methods. Also I'm not a native speaker, this is just the way I do it (with my tongue between my teeth, touching my upper teeth). My mother is an English teacher.
>>
>>18531719
If I speak too fast, I end up saying deathstar as "deh-star"

middle "t" sounds are hard for me. I end up saying things like "satan" as "say-en"

Because of my parent's accents they struggle to pronounce th- sounds too. I think I just picked it up too.

If I slowly speak and make the exaggerated >>18531736 pic with my mouth, I can do it, but I have to apologize for the occasional saliva spray because it is so uncomfortable to do.
>>
how the fuck are you supposed to pronounce oneitis?
>>
>>18531965
one ajtis, I think
>>
You know how you say fff? Put your tongue in place of your lower lip in that position and you should get a thhh. From there work with it until it sounds natural
>>
>>18531965
one-EYE-(tiss/diss)
>>
>>18531965
hahaha """o-neh-AI-toos"""
>>
>>18531918
Stop learning English from Guy Ritchie movies then. the -th into -f thing is pure Cockney.
Or alternatively, go for it full-on.
>>
File: IMG_20170719_052543.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170719_052543.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>18531719
Tip of tounge against top row of teeth with mouth open like this
>>
>>18533178
Don't forget the jizz on the chin.
>>
>>18533204
Oh yeah shit forgot to wipe that off thanks dude
>>
>>18531719
To complicate matters there are actually TWO th sounds in English, the hard ("this") and soft ("thing")
>>
>>18531719
i made a thread about how i can't say the letter "R", did you see that and made this thread because of that?
>>
>>18531719
You should also make a spelling thread, as you can't even spell "pronunciation" properly.

(I'll admit it's rather tempting to write it that way, though.)
>>
>>18531963
>middle "t" sounds are hard for me. I end up saying things like "satan" as "say-en"
I'm American and I do the same thing, I don't know if it's because I was raised in the south but I say Batman as 'Baa man' and 'dentist' as 'dennist'
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.