[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teaching a bad choice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: Teaching a meme?.jpg (29KB, 615x300px) Image search: [Google]
Teaching a meme?.jpg
29KB, 615x300px
I'm in the process of becoming a teacher, and my mother is very proud of me as a result. However, she says that I will cease to have any form of life outside of the school. It will be 24/7 180 days of pure dedication to the school, kids, and pumping out lesson plans. She also said that I better just give up every playing video games again, because I will have no time too. I want to have a life, but am scared all my time will be in my job. Any teachers can give me some advice?
>>
Is your mother a teAcher? Does she work in education? No?

Then she is being a busybody and talking out of her ass and you're an idiot for believing her when you are the actual teacher.. She's just being worried for you but many teachers have their own kids and nice marriages. How is having a whole summer off gonna keep you from pkaying video games?
>>
>>18528899
It can end up consuming a lot of your time, but the idea that you can't just time-manage, live within your means and only take as much work as you can do is...ridiculous. If anything, most of the work is going to be mindless, considering the majority of classes before college are easy to the point of being patronizing (unless you become an AP teacher in a good district, but maybe even then). Most people have trouble finding meaningful, engaging work with enough social interaction, so I would see being swamped with children's papers as a gift. It's all about perspective.
>>
Op here. My mom is not a teacher, but she assumes a lot of stuff. My main problem is I live in California and will hopefully be teaching junior high. All these people, especially my mom, are saying "It's gonna be hell. Say goodbye to your social life."
>>
>>18528935
junior high? is that middle school? one factual thing I can tell you is that middle schoolers are crazy cunts, but then again that might keep the job novel and eventful, and novel/eventful things are very good for your brain

it sounds like your mom is trying to discourage you from a state job that most consider stable (once you're in) and wholesome. maybe examine her motivations for doing that.
>>
>>18528935
>>18528943
maybe she thinks you just won't be happy as a teacher, so she's coming up with any and all bullshit to throw at you about it

but it's up to you to decide whether or not you'll be happy as a teacher. ask yourself and stop asking your mom.

people who jump into a career that looks good to them sometimes make a mistake, but I don't see any evidence that those who navel-gaze and doubt themselves necessarily do better in life
>>
File: schematic.jpg (191KB, 2048x1638px) Image search: [Google]
schematic.jpg
191KB, 2048x1638px
>>18528899
Former teacher. I had little free time when teaching, and I did not feel like I was growing as a worker or a person. In fact, I realized that I was spending my adult years in the company of children, and often very stupid children, and that was intellectually disappointing for me. I ended up going back to grad school so that I could do something else with my life, something involving spending my day around intelligent adults who did not represent a cross section of society but rather a concentration of ability and intellect. Looking back on the years that I wasted teaching, I feel that they stunted my later career growth, as the time I dedicated to teaching was time that I could (should) have spent in research: now, I'm a late-starting academic with a PhD and too many years and too few publications to be an attractive hire for tenure-track.

Teaching will eat your soul, and your administrators will always look on you as nothing more than a warm body to put in a room to make sure the kids don't hurt each other. You'll never be regarded with any respect by other adults, and, if you're male, you'll always be looked upon as a potential pedophile or faggot (after all, only gay men teach, because teaching is a woman's job). You will make far less money than you would in any other field (except higher academia, which pays worse unless you're tenured).

Finally, pic related is a graph of GRE scores by major. Note that education majors are among the dumbest people in college. Do you really want to be among them all your life? Are you prepared to work under administrators drawn from the ranks of shop teachers, gym teachers, and SPED "teachers," all of whom know nothing about any academic subject area but are paid twice as much as you to tell you what you should be doing?

If I had it all to do over again, I would never have taken that job teaching. I wasted years of my life, and I regret that deeply. I'm just glad that I finally got out of it.
>>
>>18528899
kek. Your mom's trying to bait you into something I guess.

90% of the time, you inherent your predecessor's lesson plans, and even if not you only spend the first year making plans, then you just recycle them year after year until a state standard changes and you need to tweak it.

Let me tell you anon, I went into teaching specifically BECAUSE it was the only job I could think of that would pay enough for a single person to survive on (though not luxuriously) and gives an exorbitant amount of free time. All holidays, summers, and other school breaks off work? Yes please.

At worst, your first couple years will be busy, but once you get a good course going you'll just coast off that for quite a while. Might spend the first few years doing the trial and error of what lessons work and what don't, but once you find the ones that do it'll be easy street.
>>
15 years IT administrator for all grades. 99% of teachers work less than 7 hours a day. I base this one my working tons of hours and they are not there when IT is. Now, admins come back from summer ready to make a difference and expect their teachers to kick ass with the plan; after a month or two, theyll loose interest and youre back to your 7 hour day. There are exceptions but they are not notably better but some will work long hours most to stay away from their own kids or spouse.I think the flex of schedule is where the perk is; its not the money or coworkers. I dont have a point but those are my observations. I have worked for good and bad schools; rich and poor, they are all the same. Good luck!
>>
Op here again. Thanks for all your tips guys. And to me, I feel like I can do this. From what I hear from other people, especially my teachers and other such admins in my college, it all boils down to "You better start chugging out lots and lots of lesson plans, because I gurantee you, you will end up needing them." I just get this huge ass surge of information that I feel like everyone is trying to discourage me from even being in a school. I want to teach kids. I want to teach them because I believe in them, as our future. Its just something I want to do. I already made over a grand and a half just by subbing. Imagine what I could do with teaching! I got told 44,000 dollars is starting salary for teachers in Cali. Anywhere else that is better? This advice is amazing.
>>
>>18528943
But I wouldn't even know her motivations. I know my mom loves me, but she has told me before that if I should be a teacher, it should be special ed. Keep in mind, this is a woman who fucking thinks everyone who does shit weird and out there is autistic. Hell, she fucking think Dr. Phil is autistic.
>>
I was going into teaching and working with kids at a local elementary school. Didn't even finish my degree when I realized it was slowly rotting away at my soul. Kids are fucking assholes. If you enjoy being shit on with shit pay, go for it.
>>
>>18529021
I fall in the Low Math, High Verbal category, since I want to teach American History, and eventually travel to Japan and teach English there. Not because I'm a weeb, but because I genuinely believe in the ability of children to grow and become better. Plus, you know, its Japan. I have a friend who told me its a good place to teach if you have the money and skill. Are they right?
>>
>>18529524
See, this is why I want to be a middle school or high school teacher. At the very least, you get students who are somewhat older. I feel that if you get in that area, you kind of avoid, sometimes, the asshole kids that end up popping up. When I subbed at the highschool level and middle school level, there were some geunine good kids there.
>>
>>18528899
It's a lot of work for shit pay. My best friend is a teacher. He spent tens of thousands getting that degree, and earns less per year than me, who has no degree.

You teach because you love teaching, and you sacrifice pretty much everything in pursuit of that.
>>
File: worthless.jpg (16KB, 315x445px) Image search: [Google]
worthless.jpg
16KB, 315x445px
>>18529530
It's not any better. Also, keep in mind that the market is absolutely FLOODED with teachers looking for work.

Pick up this book, and give it a read. Save yourself tens of thousands of dollars.
>>
>>18529543
I figured out that I love children more than teaching, and making a change in their lives. So I figured why not go after a better more lucrative job and then become a foster parent? Or something like that...
>>
>>18529543
Luckily for me, I've been lucky in getting a scholarship, so if I do end up having to change jobs, I won't be out so much money. But I get what you are saying. And the pay all depends on where you work, and how long you've been there. I make 100 bucks a day just subbing at the local elementary schools and make 12.50 an hour just subbing. Thats pretty good.
>>
>>18529545
I haven't spent a dime in regards to getting my degree. The most I may be out by the time I finish is...maybe a grand, and thats a big fucking maybe. If I didn't have all that I had to get to this point, then I would have become a chef. Or gone and worked in fucking corrections or something.
>>
>>18529550
12.50 is shit pay for someone with a degree. I had no experience as an electrician, and got an apprenticeship for 15.00/hr in a town where rent is 400. Now, I'm a Master, and make 6 digits. I drive 2 minutes to work, work 8 hours (lunch is paid), and drive 2 minutes home.

I'm not joking when I say that illegals get paid more per hour to work at a slaughter house, and they have consistent pay.
>>
>>18529561
You have to understand something though, this is for sub work, not actually being a teacher. 12.50 an hour for being a substitute.
>>
>>18529561
And I just looked up the median pay for teachers which is around 27 to 30 dollars an hour. Also, the school I want to work for is like 5 minutes away. I could walk to work its so close.
>>
>>18529608
Not him, but median pay is what you can hope to make in the middle of your career - roughly 20 years in. It also averages the absolute highest paying teaching jobs - like exclusive private schools, against the absolute lowest. It literally averages everything possible.
>>
>>18529617
Still, I live in California, and they need fucking teachers here. California is in a teacher drought, I guess because no one wants to teach anymore, or the teachers who are there are about to retire. I want to be paid well enough to live comfortably. Not in luxury, but comfortably. Cable, Internet, some games, maybe a good dinner every now and then. Is that so bad?
>>
>>18529619
Probably because the cost of living is astronautical and the pay is middling when a studio apartment costs 2 grand per month (which would still eat up around 40% of the median you cited). Start adding shit like a car, health insurance, utilities, groceries, and you'd be struggling to break even.
>>
>>18529627
Good thing I have my own house and live in a realativly small town. My parents are giving me the house when they pass away. That way, if I want, I already have a house, a car, everything I need. And if I want to move, I can use the money I got on the house as a down payment for a new one. I guess I'm pretty blessed in a way, but I hope to still make enough money to take care of myself and if I end up with a family.
>>
>>18529638
I'm not trying to sound pretentious or anything, its just my parents have me pretty set for a good part of my life. I'm just worried that by being a teacher, I will have shot myself in the foot because I don't have the money is all. My eventual plan is to teach highschool, then get my masters and become a professor.
>>
>>18529638
Ok. That's fine. But your situation isn't everyone else's. For the vast majority of people, its a really bad idea.

Also, and this isn't against you, per say, but I've always found it odd how people who have zero experience in the real world feel as though they should be the ones teaching children how to prepare for the real world. Just my two cents on young people teaching.
>>
>>18528899

Teacher here. I fall into the category that your Mom has described. But very few teachers are like that. I have a friend that never graded a single bit of student work all last year. turn it in --100%, don't turn it in--0%. ANother teacher just gave every geometry student an A. Nobody said a word. Many teachers will proudly tell you that once the bell rings at the end of the day that there job is over. My advice to you is that you should work your ass of for the first few years. Get a set of lesson plans together that you can use year after year. Fine tune them a bit each year. You will have to turn them in every year. Try to get stuff together such that what you do in the classroom is independent of the textbook. THat way, if you change schools or textbooks, your lesson plans are still good to go.

Teaching is quite stressful. Don't try to be the kids friend. Enough other teachers will be doing that. You will be surprised by how many teachers simply coast by. Don't be one of them--the kids will have no respect for you. Get a hold of the state standards. If it's not in there--don't teach it. Dealing with special ed kids is the absolute worst part of teaching for me.
>>
>>18529685
>You will be surprised by how many teachers simply coast by.
Not him, but I wouldn't be. It's a government job - it's to be expected that they don't really want to work.
>>
>>18529021
Everything this Anon said is true, but I went the other route. I got my PhD first, was an active research scientist for close to 20 years. Had less of a life there than I did teaching. I published work in the absolute best journals (Nature, PNAS). Saw I was never going to be a PI so shifted to teaching.

One thing OP that I haven't seen anybody mention. It is absolutely wonderful to have off all summer. You can have your choice to get a part time job to make a few bucks, or to do some travelling, or just relax and spend time with your family. Anon was right--the vast majority of teachers are complete idiots. I don't have children of my own, but if I did, there are only about three teachers that I know that I would want to have as teachers for my own kids.

The school that you end up at will have a lot to do with your outlook and happiness. One guy I worked with left to go and teach at a private school. Assigned his first homework and was shocked when everybody in the class actually tuned it in.
>>
>>18529522
>it should be special ed

NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!
I was once on bus duty with a special ed teacher in my school. I mentioned to him that if I taught sped I would be a raging alcoholic and I didn't understand how every sped teacher was not an alcoholic. He laughed and told me that every day when he left school, he would stop and buy a pint of brandy and have it finished before he got home. He finally gave up drinking altogether. When I first became a teacher, I was surprised at how may in my school were recovering alcoholics.
>>
>>18529705

Me again. If you are a sped teacher, about all that you will ever accomplish is just helping these kids get a high school diploma--which most sped kids have not truly earned. I'm the guy that was the ex-scientist. I managed to get one kid in a class of 22 into Princeton and another into MIT. I truly made a difference in these kids lives. Never would have accomplished anything like that in sped.
>>
>>18529701
Would you recommend a charter school?
>>
>>18529617
God, I hope you don't teach math. You're obviously stupid enough to teach, though. The median is NOT the average but rather the middle number in a set.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median
>>
>>18530298
And how would they get to that middle number, you retard? Would they take every single teachers salary, line them up, and count to the middle? If so, how far away from the average do you think that is?
>>
As I asked, what about if I were to go teach in Japan? I hear they pay their teachers well. >inb4 weeb I just want to teach students. I hardly give a shit if they are japanese students or american students, but I hear that teachers are treated better in japan.
>>
If you are just going to do your job, that's one thing, but if you want to be a GOOD teacher you will have to invest a lot of personal time making lesson plans, figuring out the best way to get them to understand it completely, crossreferencing, and all that boring shit. If you don't care about your job and just want to subject yourself to endless scrutiny and the presence of ungrateful gay ass little shits for no reason, you will find your job is very thankless and pays poorly.
>>
>>18529812
>Would you recommend a charter school?

I taught at a charter school for 9 years. There are some really great ones and then there are some that should not even be open--just like regular public schools. There is a good chance that your job at a charter school will encompass more than at a regular public school. For example, regular bus duty at my charter school, but the normal public school I'm at now had no such required duties. Lunch duty at regular public school is financially compensated, whereas there were no compensated duties at the charter school. IN the state I'm in, charter schools tend to be much smaller. As a science teacher, it was not uncommon for me to have some of my students three years in a row. THis will not happen at the public school I'm in now.
But to answer your question, it really would depend on the specific charter school and the specific public school.
Be forewarned that the first few years of a new charter school are quite chaotic.
>>
>>18528899
if you are man you should stay away from teaching and having your life destroyed by a false rape accusation. girls will accuse just because they don't like you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/16/geography-teacher-cleared-raping-pupil-says-men-should-stay/
>>
>>18530845
Are you Japanese?
>>
>>18530302
That's exactly what you do. The median divides your data into two equal groups and gives the number in the middle.
It's an important statistic because it can be far from the mean in a lopsided distribution. For example, in the US the median household income is $56K, while the mean is $73K. The difference (the mean is 1.3x the median) arises because of the very few Americans who make an incredible amount of money: they skew the mean, while the vast masses make much less. The median captures the picture for the masses better than the mean. When dealing with datasets that involve likely outliers, you should always consider the median. That's something you need to know if you teach and end up on some committee looking at performance statistics for your department or school.
>>
>>18531014
It's true, a teacher at my school got fired because some girl said she had to go to the bathroom and was on her period and he has the genius idea to call her bluff by asking to see the tampon. It was an honest mistake and everybody knew it was stupid for him to say it but he lost his job and everybody was mad at the girl for reporting it.
>>
>>18530845
>>18531331
Cutting to the point, if the answer is no then you won't be treated well in Japan. They don't want or need more foreigners coming to take jobs and knowing nothing about the culture.
>>
>>18531014
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/16/geography-teacher-cleared-raping-pupil-says-men-should-stay/
I will never work at an all girls school. I am currently a teacher at a public school. I got lucky again this year and have no females in my classroom. I am a SPED teacher and I have six lil guys and that is all for the better. Since they are diagnosed with autism you sometimes have to be physical with them (catching them before they run out the door for example).

There are some girls next door and they have more behavioral issues than my kids. Some like you to hold their hands (even though it is all drolly with saliva) and I make sure I am around other adults when near any of the girls.

It sucks for the dude really much. He is now heading into a job dealing with dead people instead of doing what he loved. All because of some bitch.
>>
>>18528899
Just got my teaching credential in social sciences and my Master's in Teaching. I have been applying for jobs and what not. My student teaching experience was pretty good, but I still don't know what it is like to be a true teacher. I have subbed for over 2 years now and it is easy money. Hoping to land a full-time position. In California the starting pay for a new teacher is typically around $42,000 with a $1500 stipend if you have your masters. I had to do two different student teaching assignments. One was a middle school 8th grade US history and the other was high school teaching World Geography, World History, and AP Macroeconomics. I wasn't expected to do much with the AP class since only experienced teachers with AP training are allowed to teach it. So my master teacher did everything for that class. So I was really just teaching the other 2. Both were great experiences. I really think I will enjoy my job when I land a full-time position. Unfortunately for me history teachers are a dime a dozen. I might go back to school for a special education credential if I cannot find work.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.