[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is it Possible to be Poor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

How is it possible for any responsible, able-bodied human being with a good work ethic in a country like Canada to be poor?

So you failed high school? Work shitty jobs like garbage man and cashier for a while until you can save up for trade school (costs like 33k or something) and become a tradesman. Make smart investments in assets like stocks for extra cash.

Dropped out of high school? Either go back or pass a high school equivalency test (its called a GED here). Then work up to tradesman.

We have a shortage of tradesmen here so you won't be troubled with competition. The pay is decent enough for you to make a living.

If you waste your earnings on drugs, alcohol and gambling then your poverty is your fault. If you have to provide for a kid from a teenage pregnancy then you're pretty much fucked, but the majority of poor people are not single mothers. We also have homeless shelters so you can get your life back on track.

I've been talking with immigrants who came here with absolutely nothing and who couldn't use their degrees from their old country so they either got a new one or didn't bother with uni at all and have managed to raise their families and become upper-middle class.

Unless you have some exceptional case then how can you be poor?
>>
First of all, you assume there is a good work ethic. That's simply not true in a LOT of cases; for a lot of people, it's easier to sit and rake in benefit money than to go out and work.

Secondly, you haven't considered people who are disabled and can't work. Those are a sizeable portion of 'poor people'.

And there's also financial illiteracy. People are shit with money, and things like credit cards and personal loans work to keep poor people poor.

And lastly, there's a sense of entitlement and "I want it now" that people have these days. Working towards something is less of a lifestyle and more of an optional extra.
>>
>>18525027

>How is it possible for any responsible, able-bodied human being with a good work ethic in a country like Canada to be poor?

Because life is not as simple as you're trying to paint it to be. Some people are disabled. Some people have elderly parents or small children to take care of. Some people have made mistakes in the past and have criminal records. Some people are sick and have medical issues. Some people have untreated addiction issues. Some people live in areas where the job market is not plentiful and cannot afford to move. My point is life is complex and full of pitfalls and setbacks and casually suggesting people in poverty just save of 33k and work through way through school without taking into account any factors that may hinder them from doing so is just an over-simplistic view of life. Its juvenile.

To suggest that everybody who is in poverty is there because its their own fault is a vastly oversimplified, narrow minded view of the world and how the economy and class systems work.

For the record, drug and alcohol abuse is sometimes a genetically inherited predisposition and medically classified as a disease. If you're never experienced problems with addiction yourself its very childish and uninformed of you to brush it off and assume that "willpower" is all that is needed for people to overcome the often insurmountable burden that comes from either struggling with addiction or trying to support someone who does.

I'm not saying work ethic and personal responsibility aren't factors in overcoming poverty I'm saying that if you actually take a thoughtful, informed look at poverty you would see that sometimes willpower and work ethic aren't enough. Many aspects of the capitalist framework were built specifically to make it harder for the lower class to rise. Do some research.
>>
>>18525054
This doesn't contradict my point and I mentioned acknowledged the disabled in the first sentence ("able-bodied").

If you're financially illiterate and have the "I want it now" attitude then in poverty is where you will end up and if you aren't poor then you will be worse off than you could be.

The fact that you can just leech off welfare proves that it's even easier to save money than working minimum wage and that it's not "the system's" fault that you're poor, it's your own.
>>
>>18525060
Of course there are valid reasons for poverty, but I'm talking about an individual with no financial obligations other than to himself making it to the middle class.

Plus in Canada the gives you life-threatening medical treatment free, gives the elderly pension, kids get temporary custody, free rehab and plenty of other benefits. Not all of those things you listed are excuses.
>>
>>18525197
* the government gives you
>>
File: FJJFas6.gif (637KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
FJJFas6.gif
637KB, 500x350px
>being poor in a first world country
>>
>>18525027
Most people complaining about being "poor" are just poor relative to the vast wealth in the US. Our standards are just obscenely high and we've forgotten the lives even our own grandparents lived.

Even our prisoners live like royalty compared to some shithole village in Mexico.

"Fuck I only have enough money left over after paying for my own apartment, all of my utilities, a fridge full of food, and my Netflix subscription to maybe afford the 32" flat screen instead of the 70" that I wanted! I'll have to keep my damn iPhone 6 for another year instead of upgrading if I want to afford that PS4!"

This is how the "poor" suffer in the first world. The consumer jew has trained people into believing that if they haven't obtained the most expensive things they're failing at life.
>>
>>18525197

>but I'm talking about an individual with no financial obligations other than to himself making it to the middle class.

Ok, then you're talking about a much much smaller cross section of people. You're also just assuming that this person has no mental illness, physical illness or addiction issues. In that case you're talking about an even smaller cross section of people. You're basically talking about a person in poverty who doesn't struggle with ANY of the factors that contribute to poverty.

>Not all of those things you listed are excuses.

You keep using that word. "Excuses". Again, I think you're being incredible shortsighted and immature. For starters, you say there is "free rehab" well, what about waiting lists? What about the fact that "rehab" is not just a magic building that cures people of rehab? What about people who have kids? What about people who can't afford to quit work and go to rehab?

You keep saying excuses but I'm talking about contributing factors that, when piled up, can make pulling yourself out of poverty nearly impossible.

Stop thinking simple, OP, and start expanding. I'll again reiterate that the kind of person you're talking about, the single individual with no financial obligations, no mental illness, no physical disability or addiction issues in poverty is nearly non existent when talking about impoverished populations. Your "How is it possible to be poor" hypothesis is based on, essentially, a fairy tale. MOST impoverished people struggle with one or more of those contributing factors I listed. That's kind of why they're impoverished, dude.
>>
>>18525027

You talk as if you assume that most people are normal and well-adjusted. They know how to adult.

We aren't. We don't.
>>
>>18525027
>How is it possible for any responsible, able-bodied human being with a good work ethic in a country like Canada to be poor?
unemployment
>>
>>18525027
>be born
>parents are poor as shit
>their shitty habits are imprinted onto me
>met another poor person
>have a kid
>>
>>18525027
>So you failed high school? Work shitty jobs like garbage man and cashier for a while until you can save up for trade school (costs like 33k or something) and become a tradesman
then you will have too many tradesmen and tradesmen will be forced into welfare
>>
>>18525561
your mindset is very great
>>
>>18525027
I have a bachelors in anthropology and history.I tried for Masters, but there is a list over a 1000 for what I want.

Cashier/restaurant/minimum wage cannot pay for an apartment in any city. It just isn't enough for food and shelter.

I tired for a tradesmen job, but they aren't hiring apprentices here. They have a backlog that goes to years.

I tried for manager in stupid menial jobs , but they say I'm over qualified.

What am I supposed to do, OP?
>>
>>18525712
Live in your car and work as a cashier or something. Saves you a lot of money.

Or work 2 jobs.

http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.ca/2004/10/introduction-to-project.html?m=1
>>
>>18525027
>anti-social
>no people skills

it's that easy to be poor, my man
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.