[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know it sounds kinda silly, but for the past few months I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (44KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 600x600px
I know it sounds kinda silly, but for the past few months I've been trying to "convert" from a pessimist to an optimist, so far it's had suprisingly good results and I've felt a little happier, does anyone have any advice related to this subject?
>>
how have you done that? For me its the other way around sadly
>>
>>18524694
I've not made full progrss but I'm getting there,one thing I did was force myself to smile constantly as apparently that makes you a happier person, I've also forced myself to be more socially outgoing with the "you need to take risks to get anywhere socially" mentality.
>>
>>18524694
Also been exercising and meditating a lot, like I said I haven't made full progress and am here to find out what you're trying to find out.
>>
>>18524688
Do more good things for people, be a better person in the world, and you'll start seeing other positive things in the world automatically. This is reported by lots of people.

I'd say start volunteering your time to help other humans, as generosity feels really good, and will create a feeling in yourself that you're a good person. It's called 'building self-esteem by doing esteemable acts'. This has an added benefit of introducing you to other good charitable people, and they are often very nice.

One thing a lot of people do is a gratitude list. Write down 5 or 10 things you're grateful for every day. It could be big things like
>I'm grateful i wasn't abused as a child
To trivial things like
>I'm grateful for gravity
Many people enjoy that process, and when they have moments of sadness they read through the list to see all the great things they have in their life.

Prayer/meditation practice. Doesn't matter if you don't believe in God, prayers have observable physical effects that are calming and uplifting and take only a few moments. I personally use a Stoic prayer to Zeus (who clearly isn't real) attributed to Cleanthes
>lead me Zeus, and you too, fate
>wherever you shall bid me to go
>I follow willingly, and if I choose not
>wretched, I must follow still
>Fate guides the willing, and drags the unwilling

Feel free to use it if you like, others prefer the Serenity Prayer.

Those are my general suggestions. Of them, being generous with no expectation of return is most important
>>
>>18524694
Same. Like it feels so fake. I can pretend all day that the sun shines out everyone's asses but I know the truth deep down. How the fuck do you get yourself to forget the world isn't great and perfect?
>>
>>18524761
I don't, I just try to be happy anyways, also I force myself to smile because it makes it easier to socialize and it apparently forces your brain to produce endorphins or something like that.
>>
>>18524754
Are there any charitable things a person who has neither time or money can do?
>Mon-Fri
>Go to school from 8 am to 6pm with a handful of half hour breaks between classes
>Go to work from 6pm to 10pm
>Sat/Sunday
>Work 10am-6pm
>Study and do homework from 6pm-9pm
>Spend every penny you earn on university bills, rent, utilities, and other daily life expenses.
>Resist urge to kill self daily
>>
>>18524775
Not the guy you're replying to, am OP, but maybe try more simple charitable acts? Eg compliment random people.
>>
>>18524762
Huh. I have to force a smile every day for my job, there's no frowning in customer service, even when Karen the 45 year old soccer mom is screaming at you at max volume for a manager because you can't take her expired coupon.
I break that smile I lose my job, because my work's whole schtick is "we only hire happy friendly people who love people!" (aka please come degrade our employees because they aren't allowed to defend themselves.)
>>
>>18524780
One other thing I forgot to mention is I force myself to smile when I'm alone too sometimes, also if anyone has any more suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.
>>
>>18524688
CBT works great on yourself.
"How to manage X with CBT for dummies".
>>
>>18525200
Woah these books seem like a great resource, thanks man
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.