[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to handle my internet addiction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: heatman.png (57KB, 174x174px) Image search: [Google]
heatman.png
57KB, 174x174px
Hello all,

I have come to the realization that I have an internet addiction. I realized this because I recently moved out of my parent's house, and for the first few months I did not have internet in my apartment. As such, my only source of internet was through my phone, which I used sparingly as it was on a data plan. I also had access to WiFi at work and at my parent's house for when I really needed it.

When I had no internet, I saw that I actually did stuff. Much of my time on the net was spent here or on other 'forums', places where you discussed things but didn't actually do anything. When I had no net, I watched TV, I read books, I played games. I did the things that I always intended to do but never had time for. I think I discovered that I did in fact have time for them, I just was too easily pulled to the internet where I would waste all my time. My time at the net was just being wasted on nothing (or at most just spent finding out about and downloading more TV and games to never watch or play), where my time without net was spent doing things I enjoyed. I was able to see the difference whenever I would return to my parent's house. There I would end up spending a few hours online and realize I was just doing nothing, wasting time.

I got tired of always having to go out to get stuff online, or to stream things, etc. So I recently signed up for internet at my apartment. I have since noticed that all the ways I acted when I was at home are now here. I used to go on my computer and play games or even make games, another hobby. Now I just go on 4chan or other places and post all day, or watch streams, and then I'm frustrated because I didn't clean or didn't get further in a game I'm playing, etc.
>>
>>18524225
Get a router with parental controls or guest pass access and lock yourself out of all internet traffic during the hours of the day you're supposed to be doing shit.

If you're so far gone you start to bypass your own blocks you're beyond saving.
>>
I don't think I want to turn my internet all the way off again. But I don't know that I can control myself with constant access. It's like I can't help but go out and look at stuff online, it's an uncontrollable urge when I'm on the PC (for the record, I also have ADHD, legitimately diagnosed by doctors just a few years ago, so that is a contributing factor). It's like when I know the web browser is there and ready, I just have to go and see what I can find out about. But I want to do other things with my time, like playing games or even cleaning, I just can't pull myself away. It's very frustrating, and I don't know what to do. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>18524232
I have tried locks in the past, but it was always done cold turkey. Then I would give up and turn them off after a week of denial.

Maybe time-locked things would work better, we'll see. But at this rate I might just cancel my net again, it'd be better than being stuck in this eternal cycle.
>>
>>18524245
There are browser-based extensions like StayFocusd that you can also set yourself an "allowance" of time each day. If you find yourself losing an entire afternoon looking at shota on /b/ you can allow yourself an hour on 4chan a day. It's easy to cheat, but it helps you knowledge your distraction.
>>
>>18524368
I've not had good results with those in the pay, but it may be worthwhile to look into them again. Thanks.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.