[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad at math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1496720658076.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1496720658076.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
I have always been bad at math since I was in high school. A teacher I looked up to told me, I was too stupid to ever go to college. I am 22 years old and I want to try to learn math before I enroll into college. Is it hard to get a understanding of math this late?
I've considered ending my life because I am dumb.
>>
Not at all hard to learn. Numbers are around you all the time: shopping, driving etc. you can practice everyday if you want to.
Also there are many very good books to learn math around, if you REALLY want to learn and understand it, you will.
>>
No, you are just a lazy cunt. You lack discipline.
>>
>>18523927
Do you struggle with anything in particular? Most issues people have with math are due to poor teaching.
>>
>>18523973
Well I struggle with mainly solving for x, even basic knowledge. I feel like I can't solve anything. I keep hearing its building blocks, I just do not know where to begin. I'm not blaming anyone for my failings.
>>
>>18523927

Math and Logic are different forms of the same thing~ :3

Any dictionary language is more complex than the numeral language that is mathematics.

Try playing around with the basics of algebra and get a sense of where certain formulas come from.

Like growing up in a neighbourhood and gradually memorizing landmarks compared to merely reading a tour guide and playing around on streetview for a few minutes, if you follow~ :3
>>
>>18524032

Oh, and remember that both sides must be equal when doing that:

x + 4 = 8
x + 4 - 4 = 8 - 4
x = 4

Usually the second step isn't shown but that's essential key to solvin' such things~
>>
>>18524080
*first part of the second step

Since it's just cancelling lol
>>
>>18524032
So it sounds like you have issues with algebra. Algebra is very fundamental to any sort of mathematics beyond simple expressions, so you should try to get a grasp on it. What I would recommend is checking if there's a community college near you that offers a "remedial algebra" or similarly named class. That will teach you what you need to learn. There are also thousands of web resources for learning this kind of stuff, but I highly recommend trying an actual class with an actual instructor first.
>>
>>18523927
>https://openstax.org/subjects/math
>https://functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/#org0cfab06

Start with this one then move onto more advanced topics like discrete mathematics which you'll learn if you want to study a more interesting field like Computer Science or Engineering. Another way to learn mathematics is to buy used books at a thrift stores, you'll find a lot of good material at these stores. Remember to study Mathematics for at least an hour a day, you'll pick it up in a few months, and be sure to buy a mathematics encyclopedia and dictionary to get a further understanding of the topic.
>>
>>18524555
>>18524441
>>18524075
Thank you, my main goal is to learn math before next fall, then enroll into college. I am wanting to go for computer science, but I need to know math more then I do now. I am going to try to get into a remedial class for it soon.
>>
>>18524565
I'm very bad at maths too, had to start taking private lessons at 15 when maths was still relatively easy.

My father is a teacher so I could take 2-3 hours of private lessons and could keep up with my further education. It's possible to do relatively ok with some help if you're not generally low in intelligence. I mean I could do fine in the rest of the school subjects, it was just maths I sucked at
>>
>>18524075
>>18524080 here

Also remember that math is a language with numbers just as any dictionary language is a language with words.

Even the mathematical form can be used in a subtle fashion to discuss things. (Ex. Any statement pertaining to multiple possibilities which speaks to or implies a probability of 1 is true~)
>>
>>18523927
Buy schaum's math books. Start with fractions just to build a solid foundation and give you some momentum. Then move on the algebra geometry and trig but done all of the problems and read every single word on every single page. Discipline yourself so that in 18 months you'll know your shit. Then go find your teacher and tell him he sucked.
>>
I am in a similar situation, but I've never been good at math. I can't even do Algebra 1, and I barely know my times tables.
Fucking kill me...
>>
>>18525838
Trust me I graduated high school in 2015, I couldn't do times table's or long division. I studied it for months and finally understood it. I know how you feel.
>>
Khanacademy.org anonbro start from scratch thats what im doing
>>
>>18523927
You can learn math if you are dedicated. If you just learn theory you will be left like if you learnt nothing at all.
Go about math patiently, understand it well and practice everyday, even small stuff if you have a thigh schedule. Trust me, a month of not practicing math can make you forget quite a lot and slow down you mental capability of resolving math exercises fast.
What I recommend most is getting a teacher or tutor of sorts (make sure its a good one, teaching math correctly IS NOT EASY, only a teacher that WANTS to teach can make it easier to learn).
The teacher will help you clear up some exceptions in topics and why those happen, will also teach you the right stuff. Math can be learned, but to learn it correctly you must be willing and dedicated to learn them.
>>
I nearly failed Algebra I.
I made all A's in geometry, algebra II, and precalc. I grew up thinking I sucked at math. turns out I don't when I apply myself.
Consider that you haven't come across the right teacher yet. Some people are truly stupid, but don't think that of yourself until you've given this real effort. Most teachers are dumb as rocks anyway.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.