[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't find a job after college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: oh-get-a-job-charlie-day.jpg (143KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
oh-get-a-job-charlie-day.jpg
143KB, 500x333px
I have a bachelors in accounting. I currently work as an electricians assistant; I would prefer not to advance in this trade (albeit it would pay well and I would as something to fall back on). Wtf am I doing wrong? My friends have the same problem, even the ones who have born networking skills; legit chads. Now we all just feel like we were lied to our whole lives that college would be our saving grace from manual labor, when in reality I'm still doing fucking labor but I get the added bonus of a new cars worth of debt. I've been doing manual labor jobs for a decade now, I didn't go to college for this shit. A college education doesn't make me better than people but goddammit I work hard and I want my fucking air conditioned office job with a salary.
>>
>>18522350

The real secret that no one will tell you that I also had to learn the hard way is that you had to secure those kinds of jobs during your summers while you were still working. Thats the only way you would have the 1-2 year experience that all firms now look for right out of university. I had the same problem. Did my major in economics and sat on my as trying to find a job after uni for 2 years, and worked as a tutor. After that I found a sketchy ass job finder/helper off craigslist that would lie for me about what I did (financial analysis) and got a starter job. Now Im in that air conditioned office job and all my co-workers and bosses are completely impressed by my work. The other thing I found out during this whole shebang is that recruiters don't know how to hire for shit
>>
What'd you do while you were studying?
>>
>>18522357
Yeah that whole experience thing is like a catch 22, I realized I should have done an internship when I learned everyone wants an experienced employee with a degree
>>
>>18522358
I worked shit jobs to live a modest lifestyle.
>>
>>18522371
Did you volunteer? Do research? Internships? Clubs? Other things around the school?

Degrees aren't enough these days, and in a lot of cases, basic experience isn't enough on top of a degree either.
>>
>>18522350
>we were lied to our whole lives

30fag with a bachelor and friends with bachelors masters and even PhDs.

You nailed it.

Some get hired some dont. The rate of people getting employed in their field is low.

If you were a professional gambler or businessman and looked at the cost vs. Odds of return, youd have probably noped the fuck out of college or chosen your field way more carefully.

But yeah. You got swindled. Dont worry man. You can still make it. Im doing fine. So are my aforementioned pals.
>>
>>18522395
I wish, literally no one told me that shit would come in handy. I studied long and worked longer, I just figured I was paying my dues and things would work out.
>>
File: 1499877980902.jpg (12KB, 211x300px) Image search: [Google]
1499877980902.jpg
12KB, 211x300px
>>18522350

Champ, it's simply a matter of showing up, speaking with the manager, giving him a firm handshake, and handing him your resume.
>>
>>18522396
>>18522396
Thanks, I know I'll be fine even if I have to work my way up through the company I'm with now. It's just amazing how many adults you looked up to as a kid shilled for degrees when they didn't even have one, they just thought it was that easy to get a job after graduating college. I knew then what I know now I would have just accepted my lot in life and gone to trade school.
>>
>>18522416
Done it, literally been turned away, wont even take my resume, and told to apply online.
>>
>>18522416
This just about never fucking works. Stop trying to pass this shit off as advice.
>>
>>18522350
Every dude I know in accounting couldn't get a job until they had a Masters.
>>
>>18522350
A girl I know has a masters in accounting and barely makes 50k in NYC
>>
>>18522350
Dude, people have been complaining about this for as long as the internet exist.

I finished college 5 years ago, and long before that I knew finding a job in my major was hard as fuck and would most likely not be well paid, most of my friends are either pursuing a higher degree of education yet have no actual job prospect after it or have whatever job they can get.
>>
File: 1499877980903.png (99KB, 300x211px) Image search: [Google]
1499877980903.png
99KB, 300x211px
>>18522437
>>18522541

"You could either sit there and blame others for your problems, or you could pull yourself up by the bootstraps and take the initiative. And doing that involves showing up, speaking with the manager, giving him a firm handshake, and telling him you want the job. That simple, Champ."
>>
>>18522350
You'll be surprised, it's even hard getting a job in the summer as an undergraduate. I've been to 7 corporal job interviews this summer and have all rejected me because they don't do seasonal jobs. Looks like school bookstore, is the plan for me. Btw my sister didn't find a job with her degree in geology after 2 years.
>>
>>18522350
Learn the trade to make money while you help them with their books when you're not on a job site. You can do AP & AR. It's a twofer. Large construction firms need accountants. You'll have great practical experience of what they actually do how the building process works. Get your hands dirty for awhile. Also once you buy a house you'll never need to hire a contractor.
>>
>>18523487
This is a loose idea of what I was considering. I asked if they hire up from within and they said they love to, if something is available that is. I figure with the practical experience of the labor and with my degree I can beat out anyone else applying from within without a degree or applying from the outside without the experience
>>
>>18523509
Yep in most medium-sized construction firms the boss at some point in their lives did all of the jobs. Bosses love intelligent guys that aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. Just be smart and follow instructions.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.