[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When to Let a Kitty Go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1530.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1530.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
My aged mother's aged cat has developed anorexia, lethargy, and social aversion after treatment for constipation. I think the cat is descending into hepatic lipidosis. When Mom takes the cat to the vet again in the morning, the likely solution will be a feeding tube. I'm pretty sure neither the cat nor Mom will be able to handle that, and I live far away and can't take off work to help out for the weeks of care that will be necessary.
Should I advise Mom to ask whether the cat can be euthanized if the diagnosis is hepatic lipidosis? Is it best for everyone just to let go and move on?
>>
>>18519825
The second a cat can't eat or shit without human assistance is when it's time to say goodbye. Animals have pride, too.
>>
>>18519839
She did well after treatment for constipation three years ago. We were hoping she'd pull through again.
>>
>>18519839
This. I don't know about "pride" - I try to avoid anthropomorphizing animals, even ones I love to pieces - but there's no doubt that a feeding tube is going to be physically uncomfortable for the animal at the very least. Medical technology can keep humans alive in conditions they'd never experience in their natural environment but at least humans can understand WHY the painful thing is being done to them, and that it's helpful and necessary; as far as animals are concerned, they're just being hurt.
>>
>>18519861
If she does, fine. You don't need a feeding tube to fix that, though. Once animals can not eat or defecate without permanent human assistance, it's time to let go.

Just make sure to stick around. It comforts them.
>>
>>18519825
Change the cats diet to wet food only. Try something cheap like friskies. Put fresh water in a few rooms daily. Thus is a common prob with cats given only dry food.
>>
>>18519953
She's had wet food all her life.
>>
She's gone now. It turned out to be renal failure. We could have prolonged her life at great trauma to her and us, but we chose to give her the mercy of a quick and painless euthanasia. She'll be missed.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.