[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real Talk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

What are the chances of a First-Gen US Immigrant achieving the "American Dream"? Obviously I'm not talking about being smuggled illegally and working "my way up the ladder" or some shit. I'm from Europe, currently studying a mix "physics" with engineering & comp-sci thrown in, and will probably major in Theoretical Physics/Enginerring. Post-Grad we'll see, but I'm thinking Nano-Tech/Biotics, and keep up with programming & engineering by myself.

What I'm talking is what are the chances that if I'm offered a job over at the US if I'll be able to rise, provided I'm capable enough.

Never had any problems with authority, or any controversial opinions. Just the average white fairly tall guy from Europe. I've been working on my accent for a few years now, and while it's still not perfect American I'm getting there. Yeah, I know there are TONS of accents there, but you get what I'm saying.

Dunno, I guess I'm just asking if there any prejudices and whatnot. Is the "Dream" real, or is it the same shit as over here? Where the old families rule and you can never rise above anything. Stuck working menial jobs and dying unfulfilled?

>inb4 kys fagt
>>
>>18517617
The America dream only resides in the spirit. As far as social mobility, the US is quite rigid unless you know the system. However knowing the European world can give you advantage. The 'dream' is that you can be whoever and whatever you make yourself to be. It's really damn hard. Yet if you wanted to use your tech knowledge, make a startup, make contracts with the government or research grants, then work internationally as a major corp, it's one of the best places to do it. America is really the go big or go home. Most people try and fail, the only person limiting you is yourself. If you want an easy mode and a steady rise to the upper class, staying in Europe and simply being smart with your money can do that. But be a political figure or an entrepreneur over her, you have a 'chance' to make it big. Most big name brands were at the right place and right time, and didn't come from anywhere. America just tends to be the right place.
>>
Get mining rights in Africa.
>>
>>18517668
My "plan" (hell, just a more realistic "dream" rather than a full fledged plan) was to get into millitary-branch, designing weapons and wahtnot, and then after my contract's done take the money I've gathered and the contacts and set up a small munitions company. The ultimate goal is prosthetic limbs. I know that's kinda unrealistic, but hey, a man's gotta dream, right? I'd love to have my own Microsoft. Who wouldn't though, really? The chances of that are low, but eh, maybe I can do something good enough.

>>18517672
How do I do that senpai? I've got 15 euros in my pocket!
>>
>>18517923
You just have to go for it, find the people already doing it and learn from them, and don't be afraid to fail. Making it anywhere requires the ability to be gritty and persist, and not accept things at face value.
>>
>>18517617
I personally know of at least four examples of first generation immigrants moving her and becoming very successful. It's a little different in those cases though, since all of them opened up businesses and got involved in real estate.
I'd say half of my professors are from somewhere other than the US - they don't make crazy money or anything, but they're studying what they want to and make enough to have a very comfortable living and maintain a family. If your version of the American dream is something along those lines, I'm sure it's achievable.
>>
>>18517950
So it's a case of "grind, grind, grind"? Eh, I'll take that over the cesspool that is here.

>>18517988
Thanks for the personal stories anon! As for me, I have some higher goals than college professor. I could become one here as well, considering they're being paid well. I want to work, I want to build something of my own.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.