[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got a check in the mail for $6500 due to the union I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I just got a check in the mail for $6500 due to the union I'm a part of selling some property. Now I know to some anons that's just a paycheck but to someone making $16 an hour with a 3 year old (not complaining, I made my choices), that's a huge chunk of money. Now I've spent around $200 on lifting gear, need about $400 for new tires and about $1500 will get taken out due to taxes I've been told so I'm really working with $4400 and I need to move out next year, it's either find a place or be homeless. I'm moving in with my girlfriend so that's not really a giant issue she has a good job. My issue is I can't seem to balance treating myself and being responsible. I don't go out, eat out, smoke, drink, see movies, etc. The gym is about my only "fun" expense at the cost of $20 a month and the extra food. What I wanna ask is; would it be idiotic in my situation to blow some money on some new toys? Specifically a PS4 and a new tv. I want to be a responsible adult but at the same time how much do I have to deny myself to feel like I'm a grown up? Apologies if this is all convoluted, I don't make threads often.
>>
>>18515204
>What I wanna ask is; would it be idiotic in my situation to blow some money on some new toys?
Yes and no. You're not wrong to want to spend a bit of your windfall on something like this, but at the same time, you have a child. Children aren't cheap, and the more you save now, the more you can provide for your child.

And honestly, the fact that your first thought is "let's buy some stuff for me" and not even so much as an afterthought for your child is a bit alarming.
>>
>>18515211
My child has everything she needs but you're right, I didn't really think of her first. As it is I financially support her quite a bit and I do have a lot I want to buy her though, I just don't struggle with the idea of spending the money on her. I guess she wasn't really the first thought because she's more a persistent thought if that makes sense.
>>
6500 isn't shit and you're poor enough that you won't have anything to give the kid for university tuition anyway. Spend it on drugs or buttplugs; doesn't matter because the result will be the same. Poor people should not have children.
>>
>>18515217
No, that makes no sense whatsoever. If you did care about her that much, your first thought would have been "I can finally buy her that ___ she's been wanting" or "I can take her to ___"
>>
>>18515204
If you have debts, pay off as much debt as you can before you do anything else with that money, even if that consumes all $4400. No exceptions.

If you're not in debt, definitely save at least some of the money; but you're not stupid if you buy a few toys with legitimately disposable income.
>>
>>18515228
Right now she never really asks for stuff, she'll grab toys in the store and I'll buy them for her but nothing fancy yet. I see your point though. I think I've already changed my mind about this.
>>18515228
I briefly considered spending some money on getting some certifications to better my financial position but I'm not sure what yet, or if certs are even worth it.
>>
>>18515204
>would it be idiotic in my situation to blow some money on some new toys?
>I want to be a responsible adult

You sort of answered your own question. If this money could work to make your child's life better, that's primarily what it should do. If I were in your shoes, I'd put the rest away for now. Stability for your family is hopefully more important to you than personal procrastination devices.

Of course, it depends on exactly how good your gf's job is and how she would feel about you blowing some money on yourself, assuming you could afford it.
>>
>>18515239
Only took a few posts for me to feel pretty stupid. I was on the fence when I made this post, but now I feel like an idiot. Saving the money for my kid is clearly the best option. As idiotic as I feel now I'm glad I asked.
>>
>>18515252
Hey, even small sacrifices are sacrifices. I get it. No need to be hard on yourself for thinking these things, as long as you ultimately realize that you aren't the most important person in your life anymore.
>>
>>18515252
>>18515237
It's great that you've thought about this and realised that it would be irresponsible of you to not put this money towards your feeling. For every guy like you who actually listens to what people have told him, there are dozens of guys here who only hear what they want to hear and do what they wanted to do anyway.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.