[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting a Job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: hwat.jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hwat.jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
20 y/o male here, I got sick of feeling like a parasite and not doing anything with my life, so I'm getting a job as soon as possible. Any first time job recs, /adv/? I want to do something physical, if at all possible. Posting from Louisville KY
>>
This'll sound weird but I learned a lot about life working as a janitor. I was the only white guy and the only American. My coworkers rocked. Also, I got to listen to a ton of audiobooks and podcasts at work, which rocked. I'm a programmer now. I still listen to audiobooks but my coworkers suck now.
>>
>>18514490
I'd like to do something like that, but my folks are watching me at every step, and they'd crucify me if I even tried to do that.
>>
>>18514576
they'd rather you be a NEET than a janitor?
>>
>>18514580
no, they want me to go to school, but I don't know what to do with my life and I don't want to wind up stuck with a useless degree
>>
>>18514465
Construction sites always need helpers to do some heavy lifting. Plus it can lead to you have a trade.
>>
>>18515621
*having a trade
>>
>>18514465
Delivering pizza is good if you have a car. I pays surprisingly well for a minimum wage job. I would walk out at night with $50 just from tips on top of my paycheck.

Construction is also good.
>>
Retail is seriously exhausting

The sales people, they usually slowly hang crap and help customers find stuff.

Shipping and receiving, I work there.
We get massive shipments. 300 on average every day. Off the truck, on the belt, off the belt. Stocking. Backstocking. Carrying crap from A to B to C to D. Never ending lifting.
>>
File: handshakedad.jpg (12KB, 211x300px) Image search: [Google]
handshakedad.jpg
12KB, 211x300px
>>18514465
"It's ultimately up to you, Champ. But remember: You've got to show up, speak with the manager, firmly shake his hand, and hand him your resume."
>>
>>18514465
Electricians, plumbers, and welders can find good paying work literally anywhere. Start trying to apprentice.
>>
I got a job very easily moving packages at UPS. Then I quit before I was supposed to, and then I got the job again. Those sorts of places are always hiring, and it's simple, (in my case) solitary work. You can listen to music or audiobooks the whole time. Both positions I got were night shift though. I always hear awful stuff about retail. I generally hear great stuff about customer service/call center stuff though, and if you're good, I know people can get better jobs within the company, if it's the right company. If you don't know what to do with your life btw, don't feel like you "want to start fresh" and choose some random apprenticeship or degree to dedicate yourself to. It's pointless. After a few years of working one of the jobs you can get right now, you'll either be making progress in that job itself, or you'll know what degree or trade you'd rather pursue
>>
>>18515759
This. Work as the sole receiver in my store. I dread our major truck days, and feel like I can't get caught up no matter how hard I try. Will seriously crush your soul and any energy you have for hobbies that you aren't incredibly passionate about, and I mean incredibly passionate.
>>
>>18516037

Oh please, it ain't that fucking bad. Running equipment to unload trucks is fun, unless you're a poor bastard stuck with a manual handjack, then yea, LOL.

Anyway OP, if you're willing to move to Atlanta, lots of construction right now and many of the jobs are 18-22+ per hour.
>>
Anyone know what would be some good entry level jobs for a management information systems graduate?
>>
>>18516080
There are a million and one job sites. Even if I was in a position to hire you, why would I pick you? Just because we happen to be browsing a Chinese basket weaving forum at the same time?
>>
>>18516082
I was just asking of what possible jobs I should be looking for on sites Indeed and LinkedIn as I feel like I'm only looking at the same listings that I have applied for and don't really know what else to look for besides IT Support and Business Analyst type jobs.

I'm not really sure why you thought I was asking if someone here could give me a job or something.
>>
>>18515408
which is more of a reason to work first.
it's not like you will never go to school after that.
plenty of people still go back to get a degree after a year or a few years of working.

protips:
don't listen to your parents.
they would had been millionaire and sorted out theirs and your life if they are even correct.
what they wanted u to do is for the sake of them feeling good / they Thought it would be good for you instead of what's actually better for you.
>>
>>18516099
You make me really glad I didn't go to college, and went through an apprenticeship, first. I've literally been flown out to 3 places this summer, with a 4th next weekend. Texas, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Florida. Potentially Colorado, Oregon, and Massachusetts later on, too.

I've been offered jobs at all but the Texas place, but I'm comfortable enough to where I can be very picky. In the meantime, I pretty much get a paid vacation once every couple of weeks.
>>
>>18516115
I'm in East Texas and have an interview Wednesday for an IT Support position, it's the third interview I've had so far this summer.

I'm just needing to stay around my area for personal reasons and that I don't want to get an apartment in Austin or Dallas.

I would of done the apprentice stuff had I know about them before my third year at college, but my schooling was free so I'm thankful that I don't have to deal with debt.

But from the sound of it you are also looking for a job, so I'm hoping that you hear back from one of the places you've been interviewed at.
>>
>>18516124
I'm always looking. Always. I've been offered a job at all but one place, but it's always been less than perfect, so I turn it down.
>>
>>18516129
Ah, what sort of job do you have at the moment?
>>
>>18516135
I'm a power plant operator, but I'm also a Master Electrician.
>>
>>18516137
That sounds like an interesting job to have, and the pay must be a lot to boot.

What kind of jobs do you usually search for and what would you consider to perfect for you?
>>
>>18516145
I search for anything that has to do with either being a power plant operator or an electrician. Kind of excited about the Kentucky one in a week, if the wage is right. I'd be working in a hospital, which would give me HVAC experience, too.

Needs to be a low cost of living area with plenty to do either in town, or closeby. I like heading out during my down time. I'm also sick of working 3rd shift. Wasn't an issue in my 20s, but I'm having more and more trouble sleeping during the day. I'd also like more to do than shitpost on 4chan while waiting for something to go wrong.
>>
>>18516155
I hope that Kentucky job offers everything that you are looking for then some.

It sounds like just the kind of change of scenery you need from working as a power plant operator.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.