[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moved to SF with high paying job but incredibly disappointed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Website1.jpg (863KB, 2837x1596px) Image search: [Google]
Website1.jpg
863KB, 2837x1596px
I got a high paying job in SF, so I took the offer and everyone told me SF was amazing.

As soon as I arrive this feels like Gotham city littered with homeless and drug addicts.

I looked for apartments in the area and they're tiny, in bad neighborhoods, that haven't been remodeled in decades.

The people around here seem to hate tech people too. What the hell did I get myself into?

Where are the people like me? How can anyone live a decent life in this area?

pic related, what I expected
>>
>>18508710
Do you at least enjoy the job? Just research some more locations and save money
>>
>>18508710
If you have a high paying job, you should have no problem finding a decent apartment. Yeah, decent is 2 grand a month for a 1 bedroom anywhere in San Fran, but hey, you said you're getting paid a lot. So you can afford it. Look harder.
>>
hey anon you are not alone. i lived there for many years high paying job and was in first 10 poeple at a place that went public. i had to leave for reasons you said and a few more. most of my friends have to. i coudnt stand most of my fellow tech works who all lived in a weird tech/social bubble talking about 'disruptive tecchnolgies' and 'unicorns' and jealously talking about other people stock prices/options. the hard truth is 90+ of all the companies are bullshit doing nothing innovating so its not exciting and they are trying to pump and dump an ipo. its the worst form of capitalism. i ended up going back to school to do phd and do tech jobs on the side. god after being in san fran, spending several years on a university campus with so many pretty girls without all the hyper materialism was awesome.

if you are young starting off ill tell you this: only stay there a few years to get some resume credibility and up your skills. then leave.

i wouldnt take a job there without making 150k minimum.. at 100k you can barely live but unless you are making 300k+ you will not be able to get ahead. and thats just fucking sick. its insane. better to be in a city that is less greedy, less fake self-important assholes, and better quality of life making 80k-100k where you can buy a place and live with real humans... and where you aren't afraid thatthe pretty girl at the bar will instantly hate you once you tell her what you do for work hahaha.
>>
>>18508710
Surprise! SF sucks. Come to San Mateo, I'll be your friend anon.
>>
>>18508710
>The people around here seem to hate tech people too

duh, look at your field. geeks and smelly inbred nerds
>>
>>18508812
Tom?
>>
>>18508710
From your post I'm 100% sure you will never adjust to the City. I've lived in the City for 8 years and the Bay for 25...you either embrace the chaos of this town or you'll always hate it.

From you post you sound like a sheltered kid who never figured out how a real city works, if you want a modern, posh apartment go live in one of the soulless suburbs like this guy >>18508812.

There's more to do and see in one night here than will be available to anyone who lives in a shitty 'burb like Cupertino or Fremont in a year.

SF has history, culture and diversity - if you can't handle that quit your job and go live in Silicon Valley with the rest of the robots.
>>
>>18508710
Sf isn't what it used to be. A lot changed with the tech boom. There are also tons of illegals who live there now that have caused crime to skyrocket. and yes natives typically do not like tech transplants because you are the reason why prices have skyrocketed and why people who were born there can no longer afford to live there or are at risk of being displaced from the city they grew up in.

If I were you I would get to know other tech people, the people who are from the bay area will never really want to get along with you unless you find someone seriously open minded.
>>
>>18508710
Of course locals hate you. Tech fuckers like you looking for homes are pricing poor faggots from those very same overpriced shitty apartments. All the people like you moved out a long time ago
>>
>>18508710
>>18508710
The only time SF is nice clean and orderly is in the movies. The city is was and always will be Schizophrenic. We get the best and brightest along with the nation's rejects. It's just that simple. Me personally I love the chaos - the anonymity - the excitement of not knowing what freak show is around the next corner BUT I don't live there. Im 20 minutes away in a nice safe clean suburb. I did live up on Petrero Hill for a couple of years. If you want safety rent a place close to the top of any hill. Bums can't push their cart up there.
>>
>San Fran

Would rather live in fucking Wyoming
>>
>>18509266
Thats just how the world works. Is it fucked up? Yeah, but if you're not willing to work for anything then tough shit.
>>
File: new-york.jpg (292KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
new-york.jpg
292KB, 1280x853px
How does San Francisco stack up against New York?
>>
>>18511262
I'd still pick SF over New York. New York is an unbearable meme unless you make stacks. Overpriced garbage city.
>>
>>18508710
The west coast is one huge meme and techies deserve the hate they get
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.