[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roommate troubles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: 1487792240986.png (141KB, 295x375px) Image search: [Google]
1487792240986.png
141KB, 295x375px
I'm an incoming freshman who was just recently assigned his roommate, we've only been talking for a few days, but there are some problems already. For information about him, he's a pretty hardcore Muslim who currently lives in Saudi Arabia (the school we're going to is in the U.S.)
>Pretty avid against drinking, won't allow alcohol in the room at all. I was planning on drinking every once in a while.
>Asked me if I was taking out loans, and when I said yes, he said I should cancel them and work in college.
>Seems subtly trying to convert me
What do?
>>
convert to islam
>>
File: frog1.jpg (116KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
frog1.jpg
116KB, 1024x768px
>>18506888
>>
>>18506888
CONVERT INFIDEL

And he is right about the loans tho.
But on the other things - Don't allow him. Tell him "Go out when we drink. You can't force us or forbid us." Stand your ground m8
>>
>>18506894
>"You can't force us"
Nigger he's a freshman, his roommate could just rat on him that there's underage drinking going on
>>
File: deus vult.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
deus vult.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>18506880
kill him
or you could always just switch rooms
>>
1. Stand your ground
2. Ask for a roommate or room change
3. Act like a douche so the muslim guy asks for a room/roommate change
Showing some religious things could work too, you don't have to become a monk, but a cross here and there couldn't hurt, after all you both have the same freedom of religious expression.
>>
>>18506894
I mean he may be right about the loans, but seriously who brings that up in the first conversation, then instantly condemns the person for doing so? I imagine he lives in a wealthy family, and I don't, so that's probably why I have loans and he doesn't. I don't need a financial literacy lecture from my roommate.

Also, see >>18506898

>>18506903
Apparently they don't let freshman change roommates until after the 3rd week of the semester. I don't know if I should still try since usually they are pretty tight about these kinds of things.
>>18506904
1. I mean again I can't really stand my ground against drinking because then he'll just rat on me.
2. See above, don't think I can change until well after we already move in.
3. Actually he seems to be pretty accepting towards Christians. I'm not a Christian though
>>
Any other advice people? I don't know what to do
>>
>>18507381
If you're not a Christian, what are you?

It's easy for muslims to stick to their culture when they're
>poor
>marginalized
>in tight communities with their families and family friends

If your room mate is the outside then your room mate will give in if you steadily and over long periods of time increase cultural pressure.

The filthy peasants talk shit about the west and try to impose their values over the evil urban capitalists but they're colonial pronvicial bullshit doesn't last long once they soak it in.
>>
>>18507400
I'm not religious
>>
You have an RA right? Talk to him about your issues. You don't have to bring up the drinking conflict, just say that it feels like he's judging you morally and making you uncomfortable.

It's usually far easier to switch out roommates than you think, especially this early on in the semester. Moving out is a bit of a drag, but trust me, I've known a lot of people with freshman year roommates like that, and it is ALWAYS much more of a drag to actually live with them for a year.
>>
You really need to exert dominance over this guy, and fast. Let him know he can't fuck with you. Put him in his place.
>>
>>18507381
Honestly? Suck it up and change rooms after a semester if you really have to. Drink in your friends' rooms, and don't let him talk to you about religion or financial shit (just don't respond if he tries). It's not like you have to be buddies.

There's a big, big universe of Bad College Roommates out there. There are roommates who'll try incessantly to sleep with your girlfriend, roommates who'll stumble in drunk with THEIR girlfriends the night before you have an exam and try to kick you out. Roommates who'll want to play video games at full volume at 2 AM and get pissy when you ask them to stop. Roommates who'll leave nasty-ass plates of food out to rot and attract flies for weeks. My first roommate came home incredibly drunk one day, puked all over the room, then passed out and had to be taken to the hospital for alcohol poisoning. Guess who had to clean that up? I had a friend in college whose first roommate slipped LSD into his [my friend's] coffee the first week because he thought he needed to "loosen up."

A guy who's a slightly pushy about things you don't want to talk about, & doesn't want to allow alcohol into the room, is INCREDIBLY tame as far as college roommates go. At least he'll probably be reasonably clean and quiet. Consider yourself lucky. Seriously.
>>
>Asks if he has any other living preferences
>"Be minimalist, don't bring a lot of stuff so it's more tidy and there's more room"
he was very iffy about me bringing posters into the dorm. it's getting worse guys, also this...
>"Yo also don't bring people into the dorm at all unless u absolutely convinced this person is trust worthy. Keep girls out"
it's becoming a legit problem now
>>18507412
i'll probably talk to someone soon
>>18507414
wasn't expecting a lot of confrontation, i'm not being a pushover though
>>18507427
idk man it seems like he's getting worse
>>
>>18507436
>he was very iffy about me bringing posters into the dorm.
>Yo also don't bring people into the dorm at all unless u absolutely convinced this person is trust worthy. Keep girls out"
These are much bigger problems, and much less reasonable, than wanting you to keep alcohol out of the room.

The first step is to talk to him about it, and say, look, I want to respect your living space, but the rules you're trying to set are excessive. You can't tell me not to bring girls into the room or how to decorate my side. Hold your ground, but obviously be courteous and make sure there isn't any miscommunication going on here (You did ask what his preferences were - is it possible he was just trying to answer the question, but that he's not trying to tell you that you HAVE to do what he says? I'm assuming there's a moderate language barrier here.)

If you do that, and he pushes back, then yeah, it's time to contact your RA, explain the situation to them, and let them know that you'd like to change rooms. I'm sure some people are gonna think anything short of putting him a headlock and telling him what's what makes you a "beta" or a "cuck," but honestly, it's better to just get out of there than have to fight this battle for an entire semester or year.
>>
>>18507462
I don't think not having alcohol in the room is completely unreasonable, it was more that I could just tell this was a bad sign to more strictness in the future, which now is starting to show.

It just sucks that you can't change rooms until three weeks after you move in. By that point I feel like friendships in floors will be established and I'll just be thrown into a new dorm with no one I know there (also it's a pain in the ass to move out).

Idk it's just bumming me out and making me a lot less excited for college. All these people in this chat I'm in love their roommates and are talking about how they're going to make their room sweet and shit, and then there's me being treated like a child by my roommate by being told all these rules, all while being condemned morally for stuff like drinking and girls.
>>
>>18507506
Have you actually gotten in contact with anybody yet, or are you just assuming you won't be able to change roommates before 3 weeks because that's what the official policy says?

Often these things are way more up to individual people's discretion than you'd think they would be, and you can get the timetable moved up if you can convince them that their life will be easier if they just give you what you want rather than have to deal with you constantly.

It never hurts to ask.
>>
>>18507436
Anon who gave you the advice to talk to an RA here. The "don't bring girls in" is your ticket out. Tell your RA he's making you "feel uncomfortable because of the way he talks about women" and that he "judges you for wanting to have sex" etc etc, something along those lines. Basically subtly make him out to be a slut shaming bigot, you know how colleges are about that. They'll likely make him move out instead of you.
>>
>>18507519
Also, this. "Official" rules/deadlines in college mean basically nothing.
>>
Plant terrorist shit in his room, like pictures of train stations and public venues and instructions on how to make bombs. Use his laptop when he isnt looking to access terrorist websites and look up terrorist shit, maybe even make some accounts on his behalf and start posting love for allah and hatred for the west and how brave isis is.

I mean yeah it probably wont help your situation but itll get the FBI on him so fucking fast and really make it impossible to live a normal life here.
>>
>>18507427
Im going to need to hear that LSD story.
>>
>>18507519
I email them before it got worse, and they just told me they weren't able to change. It's gotten worse so maybe I should email again? I feel like it honestly depends on who answers the email, which is pretty stupid. Again though not really sure if I should email them again since the situation is worse now.
>>18507548
I talked to my peer leader (some older student they assign you who is like your friend or whatever), and told him that he's judging me morally and subtly trying to convert me. He said he'll talk to some people he knows for advice/ what to do further. Hopefully they'll move me.
>>18507587
Not enough of a scumbag to do that honestly (no offense pal)
>>
You do know in Islam loans are immoral right? It's actually against his religion to take a loan. That's why he is giving you shit for it. Tell him you want to be Haram and there is nothing he can do about it.
>>
>>18507986
Actually did not know this. To be fair though he then asked me if I had "conservative economic ideals" so it might be more than a religious thing for him in that regard. Anyway shouldn't be asking me that shit.
>>
>>18507436
Politely tell him he needs to mind his own fucking business. Half of the room is your's and you should be able to put or bring whatever you want. It's only gonna get worse from here, next he'll be trying to give you a curfew and tell you what you're allowed to eat.
>>
Put a side of bacon in his skivvies
>>
>>18508021
>>>18507436
>Politely tell him he needs to mind his own fucking business. Half of the room is your's and you should be able to put or bring whatever you want. It's only gonna get worse from here, next he'll be trying to give you a curfew and tell you what you're allowed to eat.

Amen to that. Tell Hadji to fuck off.
>>
>>18507427
This guy gets it
>>
>>18508021
>>18508047
Fuck, it just sucks that I have to do this. It'll only get worse if I let him push me around, but it'll also get worse if we start fighting and shit.
>>
Stand your ground. Part of of the college experience for BOTH of you is being around / learning to deal with people who may not think the way you do.
>>
>>18507427
I HAD THE FAGET THAT BLASTED HIS TITANFALL GAME AT 2 IN THE MORNING, why dont u just where headphones
>>
>>18508137
You gotta be firm, man. Tell him things are different in the States. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure colleges there are a lot different. Try to explain that everyone here decorates their room, drinks, and fucks. If he doesn't listen then tell him that he can't control you.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.