[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cousin turned into a conspiracy theory nutjob

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

My cousin that I grew up with has gotten into these conspiracy theories lately. He believes in "enlightenment" and "the subconscious" and it's basically all he talks about. It doesn't help that he's also been drinking and smoking marijuana which I feel like has been exacerbating whatever mental problems he has.

And to clarify, he's not a Donald Trump MAGA type, he's the type of guy that believes the constellations affect where mankind is or some shit, and that Putin is holding Trump hostage with secrets on aliens. Essentially conspiracy theorist + new age nonsense that he never stops talking about.

Has anyone experienced this or has family/friends that have? I want to approach him and talk to him and get him to go back to school or do something productive. We're both 23 and I fear he's going to live the rest of his life like this.

Any advice?
>>
I've got a friend who's mega into this stuff too. Only he's more of the 'the government is trying to kill us all!' Type. Can't really say I've got any answers here though. I just kinda dance around the topic whenever this stuff gets brought up, or just nod.
>>
>>18504217
They may not be trying to kill us per say but they're definitely trying to oppress us.

Just look at education budget cuts. Make them stupid so that they don't know any better when we fuck them over.
Knowledge is power
>>
>>18504217
Is there any way I can make him snap out of it? I don't care if he believes in aliens but he takes it to another level.
He's not the same person he used to be ever since he started smoking, drinking, and gotten into this shit.
>>
>>18504206
>Putin is holding Trump hostage with secrets on aliens.
Kek. Does he also work for huffpo?
>>
I just think you gotta tell him he can believe what he wants and still live a normal life. As long as he doesn't wear a tin foil hat o rpolitical t shirtws in public he should be fine. I believe 9/11 was an inside job to some extent but i still live a normal life because I rarely talk about it.
>>
>>18504206
Ive got a few in my circles.
Nothing you can do man. When theyre that far gone, they aren't coming back except on their own will.

Its annoying af.
>>
>>18504283

You could try telling him that you're seriously worried and concerned for him, and I think you should definitely try to show him that he's got no rational justification for his beliefs and that it's all bullshit.

Hopefully it'll just be a short phase and he'll snap out of it on his own.
>>
>>18504410
>snap out on his own

This. I had a phase like this for a few months. I was all over it. Not the proudest time of my life and its way behind me. But i woke up one morning and thought damn son... This is all.bullshit and super gay. Back to peer review based critical thinking.

...ill also add i was not mentally well then. For other actual life reasons i was suffering from extreme stress anxiety and chronic sleep deprivation if unimagineable levels...

Is something else wrong with your cousin? He may need your help in other ways..
>>
>>18504427
Yeah, he drinks and smokes a lot of weed. I think he uses the "enlightenment" shit to give him some sort of purpose in life and finding that purpose. Which may mean underlying depression.

>>18504349
He's not living a normal life, he's out of work and I think he's delving deeper
>>
Ask him "So knowing all that, what can you do? How does it make a difference to your life?"

Basically anything to make him realize it's all pointless, whether he's enlightened or not.
>>
>>18504206
kek, reminds me of this wacked out dude I went to highschool with. He posted this earlier this year, I screenshotted it to see if it would come true.

Some fucking people, man....
>>
>>18504471
>He's not living a normal life, he's out of work and I think he's delving deeper
I shit you not, unemployment turns people into /xpol/. External locus of control and all that jazz I got my degree in. He has no agency and externalizes blame. A job usually clears it all up, the weed is a crutch to prevent it because having control over your outcome is scary.
>>
>>18504206
Can you blame him - just look at the 24x7 coverage of Russia Conspiracy Theory that the Democrats Booshs and the never Trump crowd are promoting. Seems like half of our country believes this nonsense.
>>
>>18505072
He had a job and was still into that shit. I think someone is feeding him this garbage.

>>18504903
I want to ask him that. I want to visit him and see where his mind is and everything.
>>
>>18504206

It's up to you OP

idk if he's into that "Age of Aquarius" that's going to happen, I just think he's at the tip of the iceberg
>>
Tell him to fuck off back to /pol/
>>
>>18504206
Theres nothing wrong with exploring and researching the unknown. Problem is when you have NO filter and believe everything you read. Crystals and planetary alignments are garbage, however MANY conspiracies are proven real decades after it matters, psychology is real, and a lot of the real wacko shit APPEARS to have some basis in reality even though it really doesnt. Basically id try finding some reliable resources for "secret knowledge" that are at least grounded scientific research and reality.
>>
>>18506901
Yeah he's skeptical with me telling him to go back to school but not skeptical at all when he meets someone with one of the "top 3 IQs in the world"
Mind boggling
>>
File: 1f8.jpg (31KB, 646x315px) Image search: [Google]
1f8.jpg
31KB, 646x315px
Are there people who don't believe there's a subconscious?
>>
>>18506941
There are. But he believes he knows how to sword fight through his subconscious and all this shit. Basically he overestimates how much of an impact it has.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.