[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you ace a job interview?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2528.jpg (63KB, 500x872px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2528.jpg
63KB, 500x872px
How do you ace a job interview?
>>
>>18499786
just b yrself
>>
I went for two jobs not long ago and got offered both the same day as the interview.

Show interest/ask questions about what you will be doing when employed, to show that you're thinking about it seriously and not just window shopping.

Don't come with too many questions prepared, that would look fake, but get them to expand on things they've told you in the interview.

Be confident but reserved and have the mentality that the interview is as much about seeing if the job's good enough for you as you are for it.

Finally keywords, depending on what kind of role it is there might be keywords they want you to say. Mine was stock and logistics based, so one of the keywords was "approved supplier" or some variation.
>>
>>18499786
simple shit like
-dress well
-remember names
-polite eye contact
-confident handshake
-empathize with your interviewer
-remember important details
-have good answers to questions

simple
>>
What job?
>>
>>18500330
Basic minimum wage type part time jobs.
>>
>>18500365
I just got a job for a mall job at a big store.
>applied
>basic phone interview
>called back for group interview few days later
>dress shirt no tie
>dress pants, dress shoes
>handshake when i met directors or mangers
>prepare with questions like 'why here' or 'greatest strength'
>be prepared for 1 on 1 or group interviews
>ask follow up questions to show genuine interest
>eye contact
>they're not listening to your exact answers but how you answer it
>pretend its more of a conversation rather than an interview
>try to pick up on a manger's item and compliment it to try to make conversation
>in the end ask for a direct 'can i expect a call' or 'how long would the process take'
>optional but call maybe a week later if you get no updates.
>>
>>18499786
There's a shit ton of advice on what to do and not to do, there are practice questions and how to write a resume.
Now, for a dose of reality. You can do everything 110% right, be the best person for the job and still not get it.
The biggest issue you cannot overcome is simply the fact that you're at the mercy of the idiot across the table from you doing the interview. Some are good and most don't know what they're doing. They have internal biases that you will never know about. Everybody does. So, if you inadvertently trigger one you're done. It might be anything. The next issue is that sometimes you are being interviewed for the appearance of being fair by the employer when the hiring manager already has a friend or someone else lined up for the job.
So, don't take a rejection as that you did or said something wrong. It could be that you did, but even if you ace it, they may chose someone else.
>>
>>18500396
What did you say for "Why are you here?" and "Tell me about yourself?"
>>
>>18500416
Good post.
Adding to this.
Think of it like the NFL draft (if you follow sports). You can get 100's of no's. But all it takes is one YES. Might be they need someone to work mornings. Or work full time. Or prefer 18+. Prefer spanish speaking candidates. Prefer women. Or just flat out, they wont hire niggers or won't hire college kids or whatever. Don't take it personal, and don't lose hope.

I applied for a job. I got a call a week later. Once hired, I talked to a guy who said he tried 5 years to get hired, like every 6 months he re-applied. It's a bitch of a process. But its all about timing.
>>
>>18500416
Are there any questions that you should always say no or yes to? What questions would those be? (e.g. Have you ever done something illegal?)

What should I never say in a job interview?
>>
>>18500431
I don't know what he said but as an HR person, these are two of the stupidest questions out there that people ask. Tell me about yourself means professionally not personally. Spend no more than 60 seconds saying what you are doing now in the way of work and school. If you have previous job experience touch on that with your job and basic responsibilities.
If they ask you why you are here, I would give serious consideration to even taking the job if offered. The quick smart ass answer would be "to pick up laundry". However, if you still want the job, tell them why you need the job and anything you hope to get from it like customer service experience. Again, be brief. 30 seconds. Don't ramble on for hours. These are stupid questions they don't give a fuck about. They ask them for something to talk about.
>>
>>18500431
So I just got hired at Nike.
The best thing I did was check Nike on Glassdoor dot com. People post job reviews, and in part the hiring process. Filted through your place, and see common questions. For me it was a group interview and it went
>"tell me about yourself"
my name is _ i am _ currently studying __ at university of __. i last worked at ___. on my off time i like to ___ and __
>"a time you experienced good customer service"
i recently purchased ___. the attendant was super friendly and smiled. she told me they offered ____ and if i joined the club program i could save 5%. very helpful
>"greatest strength"
a strength of mine is being able to multitask. at my last job i worked as a ____, but i often helped my peers with their work. i was shown appreciaton on that by being employee of the month, etc.
>"a time you learned something to be better at work"
i was born in a spanish household. i could always speak it. never learned to read or write it. so freshman year of college i elected study spanish. it will help in professional work and resume builder, etc.
>"your favorite sport and why nike"
my favorite sport is ___. and nike because its a global brand. i've always worn nike. i own nike products like the hypervenom or the air force 1's. its directly related to my desired career. there is a lot of expreince i can bring to the position and the team, and a lot i can learn from.

For retail jobs, stress things like teammwork, communication and customer service.
>>
>>18500440
They shouldn't ask you about anything illegal until they ask you to full out the application. It will ask on that. Don't lie. That's grounds for termination. If you disclose it, it may. It prevent you from getting the job. If you don't and it come back on a background check, you'll be fired.
Don't lie on interviews. This is something that people do but inevitably comes back to haunt them either through a verification, background check, or after you get there and can't do something you told gjem you have experience at.
>>
>>18500455
This is the HR guy again. Solid advice!!!
>>
File: whitepowerfrog.jpg (43KB, 633x369px) Image search: [Google]
whitepowerfrog.jpg
43KB, 633x369px
>>18500466
thanks m8

i've been through the hell of interviews, and its soul draining when you get a 'no' or 'we'll call' and months fly by. just hoping this anon gets the job.
>>
>>18500471
It is. I've been through it and it's really deflating. Unfortunately, recruiters are now like used car salesmen. There are more bad ones than good ones. They hide behind technology and often times the entire process is geared toward making the candidate feel powerless and worthless. Many companies while professing to want the best, they have terrible processes and decision making people in charge of the process.
>>
>>18500450
>>18500455
>>18500462
Alright, this it's very helpful thanks. Good to know and it's cool to know an HR guy's perspective and advice.
>>
you sell yourself
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.