[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Secret: Worth it or bullshit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7215.jpg (40KB, 277x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7215.jpg
40KB, 277x350px
I've been in a real rough patch with work and personal issues. My therapist recommended I look into this book, but I'm skeptical about it. What are your thoughts on it, r/adv/ikings?
>>
>>18499652
You need a new therapist.
>>
>>18499652
Bullshit in my eyes its new age propaganda. Youre better off with Think And Grow Rich, How To Win Friends And Influence People and The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A Fuck.
>>
>>18499672
This.
>>
>>18499652
If you are a male stop going to female therapist
>>
>>18499652
The Secret to New Age-ers or Name it and Claim it to Chistians is neither new nor a secret what is is a mental trap. Humans can't control the forces of nature by using telepathy or any other mental gymnastic. The laws of motion are LAWS proven and unchangeable.
Why is it a mental trap?
For the Xtian it forces them to deny the truth which could be an illness poverty or lack of something. They might not seek the help required to get well while just smiling to their idiot freinds. It's their fault for NOT BELIEVING ENOUGH. This is hogwash. Chistians are not Witches who can say some magic words to get healed or get money or whatever.

For the New Age religion folks - this religion is not NEW it's been around for 6,000 years. You've been lied to.
>>
>>18499687
So much this. The difference is so extreme its hard to explain.
>>
>>18499652
Ive had a lot of success in my life with an attitude that i realise is very close to the secret, so ill say it carries truth but it isnt magic.

I envision long term goals and they come true. Without analysis it seems to just kind of happen because i want it to, but then after looking more closely I noticed its more psychological than that.

Did you ever learn a new word and then suddenly hear it all the time? Or become aware of a new car you like or some detail around you you never noticed before and now that its been consciously pointed out and acknowledge, you see it everywhere? Forgive my poor explanation but if you understand what im saying im 100% positive youve experienced this. Same with goals.

By acnkowledging that you want something and really embracing that you can have it, opportunities, people, information, steps and advice that lead in that direction now become much easier to notice.

They dont pass by you practically invisible in the back of your mind because its just not relevant to you.

If you want to be a heavy machine operator, suddenly you notice there are 100 schools and training programs yoy never noticed before within 50km of your home.

Want more money? Well now when you meet people who are doing well youre listening with a finely tuned ear to how theyre making it until something comes up that you could totally accomplish.

Want to be a successful entrepreneur? Well now that youve acknowledged that its something you can do and not something for highly skilled business people, youre actually googling and reading and learning the steps and realising its easy.

Thats all. Also as one with an education in psych, (not a doctor but can kinda see what youre therapist is getting at..) i think your therapist is trying to train you in positive thinking. Thats all the secret is is empowerment and "yes i can!" thinking.
>>
>>18499917

I should have tl;dr with something like this.>>18499674

Even though i seem to be defending it... It really is overblown bullshit that happens to lead to the right attitude to make your own success. There are better more realistic books and ideologies.
>>
>>18499917
>and then suddenly hear it all the time
no
>Or become aware of a new car you like or some detail around you you never noticed before and now that its been consciously pointed out and acknowledge, you see it everywhere?
no
>suddenly you notice there are 100 schools and training programs yoy never noticed before within 50km of your home.
no
>>
>>18499935

If this legit doesnt happen to you, you are young or literally do.nothing with your life.

Because this is a universal thing that happens. Your brains constantly filtering information between relevant and irrelevant and reporting what it thinks matters.

The moment something is pointed out to you in tangible way it becomes relevant and enters your conscious reality.

Even think about getting a new job, suddenly you notice everything to do with your new job. I got a company truck at one job i had. Id never seen the branded truck in my life. Even though that job is far behind me, i still see their trucks at least twice a week, as well as their competitors who drive similar trucks. Only reason being it holds relevance now.
>>
I've watched the Secret and although I don't believe any of this 'forces' stuff, I think the key is just to believe in yourself and stay optimistic most of the time. A positive attitude will, to some degree, attract success and happiness.
>>
My two cents

>tl;dr agree with skeptics, and the skepticism will be proven - agree with the faithful, and your beliefs will be proven
>chaos magick for lack of better meta theory, nothing is true, everything is permitted

If it works for you, that's all that matters. I went down two roads during my twenties; one were I applied principals found in the secret, and life seemed boundaryless and I was happy - the other bound by science and skepticism, and I fell into deep depression and felt life was pointless. When I rediscovered my faith, I went deeper into the material and focused on the teachings of a select few of the entrepreneurs presented in the film. I got relieved of my depression and saw more opportunities for my creativity and contentment.

My recommendation is to watch the film (or read the book based on the interviews,) but listen to your own intuition when asked to apply the methods. In my instance I found that the visualization part of the secret doesn't gel well with me. I'm more of a language guy. Visualizing is powerful, I'll grant, but the language sits deeper in our subconscious. One of the teachers with the least amount of screentime, is probably the most important of the cast. His name is Hale Dwoskin, and he's got a funny laugh. Check out his one hour documentary on his 'Sedona Method' here:

https://youtu.be/psBuPo1ez0M

If you're being creative, and pay attention to what you need to change in your life (what you lack, or feeling resentful about, etc.,) this is all you need to take from the secret. You can also find torrents with his one weekend seminar, if one hour isn't enough.
>>
>>18499950
Not young and doing things with my life. Life doesn't work like that for me at all.
>>
I tried it, and it kinda works? But as previous anon said; it's mainly because you're constantly thinking about it that every minute you aren't taking steps towards it feels odd. If you think about writing a book for instance, visualizing yourself doing it, every day, several times a day, what you're going to write, details, eventually you will do it because you start feeling bad for watching tv, playing games, etc and you've already worked out everything in your mind so there is no blockage left for you.

You can try it on small things. My first thing was to get all the cars to go away on my walking route (I swear there is always 50 cars and every one feels like inches from hitting me). I imagine there were no cars at all, I wouldn't be meeting a car, all cars had broken down or not been invented at all, and if I met a car it would magically stop, get a flat tire, etc. So I walked, and there were no cars. Then one car came and I thought this is bullshit, then the car stopped, did a U-turn and drove off before we could meet. Didn't meet a single car that day.
>>
>>18499652
if I were your therapist I would throw the secret in the bin, and take the main point of the secret to give to my clients.

the main point of the secret is that thinking about negative things makes them more likely to happen, and that thinking about positive things makes them less likely to happen - IN SOME INSTANCES

to some extent this is true, although it's not some kind of governing law of the universe. lets use weight loss as an example.

a. thinking about gaining weight. this person is obsessed about gaining weight. they keep looking at themselves in the mirror, thinking, "I am becoming so fat. I am eating too much." They become more stressed, which is known to increase fat deposits, especially around the belly. The stress also causes them to eat more. The obsession with eating causes them to eat more. They become fatter, they stress about eating too much and being fatter, then the cylce continues.

b. this person thinks about losing weight. images of losing weight include making healthy diet choices and exercising, maybe having more small meals in the day rather than a few big meals, or just generally having smaller meals. they envision losing the weight. they do what it takes. they lose weight. the vision becomes stronger. their positive actions become stronger. they lose more weight.

Above is an example of the *cough, hack* "secret" working.

Here's an example of the secret not working (specifically in a scene in the movie where they claimed it would work)

they said you can keep someone from stealing your bike by not thinking about them stealing your bike. they asserted that putting locks on your bike makes people more likely to want it.

while putting locks on your bike does make more people want it, it also *prevents them from picking it up and walking away with it*.

there is an example of where the secret does not apply.

the secret is just what is known as self-fulfilling prophey. the secret movies and books themselves are a scam.
>>
Whether or not "The secret" is real, the basic premise of you receive what you put out into the world is true. When you are constantly focusing on negative thoughts, you will remain in a negative state. Change your mindset and change your life.
>>
>>18499652
it does work but you need to be in the mind set for it.
You can't just tell yourself "it'll be cool to have this or that" and then it happens, its not like that. You need to really want something and then go out and at least reach out for it, thinking won't do shit, but like I said, you have to be in the mindset for it.

By that I mean you actually have to genuinely believe, if you believe then good things will happen, but if at the back of your head you know that you're skeptical but act like you believe then nothing will happen.

Also, you need to be happy, if you're borderline depressed and want things to happen then they won't, if you're already happy then you'll believe and if you believe and reach out then things will happen.

It worked on me when I watched the film, I was happy at the time and things started coming my way. Then once I was feeling like shit again, and wanted things to happen, nothing did happen.

If you're open to the idea of it and it convinces you then it'll work, but its not for everyone, hardcore skeptics will say its bullshit and call you a retard for believing it, I'm skeptical but open minded and I was convinced
>>
>>18499672
fpbp
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.