[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oh what to do...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1494608525707.jpg (438KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1494608525707.jpg
438KB, 988x1500px
I don't know what to do with my life.
I don't know whether I play it safe and live a simple copy paste life everyone tells me to do or to just follow my dreams...
I'm 19 years old and should start college this fall, the only problem is that I don't want to, I don't want to have all that debt and bs. And the stuff I want to do doesn't require a degree, yet my mother and pretty much every other adult says college or die. I can't tell her, but I really don't want to do it. When people ask what I want to do I simply say idk yet, but I'm lying I do know... I've for the longest time have really wanted to be a writer. It's the one thing I'm good at naturally, I've always loved English in school and would choose to write 10 page assignments simply because I've enjoyed it. I wrote a novel long nook in the 7th grade. I wite short horror stories in my free time and have an original idea for a book series. Yet people will tell me that I shouldn't because it doesn't guarantee money. What should I do, I really want to do this but the while world seems to tell me I'm stupid for wanting to do it. Help
>>
If you don't want to go to college then don't go to college its that simple, but you will need to get a job at the very least to support yourself, preferably full-time. And there you have it, you're officially a writer. Write til your hearts content.
>>
>>18499496
find work that's close to your passion, or get a job to sustain both you and your love for writing
>>
>>18499513
I know I could just not go, but how do I deal with the judgment from my family. They will all think I'm an idiot, and it's fucking hypocritical since neither my mom, dad, or step dad went to college.
>>
>>18499530
When I was your age I dropped out of college after one semester, joined the military and got kicked out for a failed drug test after 4 weeks in boot camp, went back home to work in an awful steel mill for a few months, got arrested for possession and went through a mandatory and costly rehab, and after wasting an entire year fucking up I eventually went back to college and I now have a bachelors in accounting. Did my family judge me a lot for an entire year? You bet. Did i dream of being something other than an accountant? You bet. But I don't regret anything i did because it made me who I am today. It's up to you, do what you want to do, but don't think it's a final decision that you have to live with forever
>>
>>18499496
Why not get a job and write on the side? A huge flaw in our education these days is that people think they MUST make their passion their career or else they're a failure, but that is just not always feasible. We can't all be professional artists, musicians and athletes, but we can all pursue art or sports or music passionately as a hobby.

Fuck school
>>
>>18499550
Thanks, I guess u should at least try. If I fail then caring about what others think should be the least of my concerns.
>>
>>18499561
You're right, I fucking hate their propaganda about college and career shit. I've been interstellar in becoming a cop so might as well do it and write in the side. If I get published then hey that's more money, but more importantly I completed my dream.
>>
>>18499496

air traffic controllers make six figure salaries and don't need college degrees

high school diploma and graduation from a certification course which i think is under a year

I'm sure you could work an 8 hour shift as an ATC white writing in your spare time if you wanted to do that and skip college (which I agree is overrated)
>>
ask /lit/, they know this shit better than most.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.