[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Depression meds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1492725418485.jpg (13KB, 414x415px) Image search: [Google]
1492725418485.jpg
13KB, 414x415px
I suffer from depression and anxiety. Pretty severe anxiety, especially at night. My doctor prescribed me Lexapro but I'm refusing to take it. The thought of being reliant on any kind of drug terrifies me, especially with my family's history with drugs. My sister overdosed 4 years ago and my other two siblings are on and off again addicts themselves

That said, my anxiety can be crippling at times. Basically what I'm asking is, should I just buck up and take the meds? There has to be some way through this without taking that route right?
>>
>>18499003
There is a stark difference betwen recreational drugs and meds. Depression and anxiety drugs are not making you build tolerance, and are rarely addictive. There is hardly any risk for you to consoder not taking them, especially with such a severe condition, speaking as someone who has been on antideps and such for years.
>>
>>18499011
I know there's a difference, but I just have some weird mental block. I can't explain it, but it's just some fear I have. I don't want to think I need a medication or drug to get through the day. I know it's retarded but I can't help it

I'd like to ask though, how is it initially after first taking them? Do you really feel a difference with your anxiety?
>>
>>18499003

Mate, take the meds. I totally sympathize with not wanting to be reliant on them (I have ADHD and I take stimulants regularly), so use them as a tool to get yourself to an emotionally stable point where you can start to work at the core of your depression and anxiety. If you can afford it, look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with a psychiatrist and/or psychologist, because that's where you can really address the root of your condition. If you can't afford that, google an online program called Moodgym - it's an online CBT program that costs $30 for a year and is honestly pretty good.

One thing to know about Lexapro (and SSRIs in general). It takes most people 8 weeks to start noticing an effect, so you have to be consistent in taking them. You can't expect to pop one when you're feeling down and immediately expect to feel better. If you don't notice an effect after 8-10 weeks, talk to your doc and try another class of anti-depressant - don't get discouraged if the Lexapro doesn't work, there are plenty of other options.

That said, if it *does* work, don't stop taking them because you start feeling better. Use your better mood to start improving your life, which in turn will help to alleviate some of the stressors that are exacerbating your depression and anxiety.
>>
>>18499026
Depends on the drug, usually it takes a while, two weeks in my experience, for it to become noticeable.

Also, you're not depending on a drug. You're trying to supplement natural biochemistry that you're lacking so that you get back to normal-people levels of anxiety. It's like taking insulin, rather than morphine.
>>
>>18499054
Thanks for writing this up, seriously it means alot.

>>18499062
You're definitely helping me come around to it, thanks. I'll talk to my doctor about it again soon
>>
>>18499003
>>18499054
>so use them as a tool to get yourself to an emotionally stable point where you can start to work at the core of your depression and anxiety

this. depression meds are like crutches. when your leg is broken and you cant walk, you're gonna have to use the crutch to get to the hospital to actually get your leg fixed. you're right to be weary of getting reliant on them, but seeing how you're already worried about it i really doubt it'll actually happen. do see a therapist on the side to work on the core of your problem.
>>
>>18499003
you have adrenal fatigue, try bovine adrenal glandular for 2 months max. also go on a fruit only diet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srEKeLpN1Hg
>>
>>18499193
also pituitary glandular
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.