[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Coping with being above-average at best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: winning.jpg (35KB, 750x560px) Image search: [Google]
winning.jpg
35KB, 750x560px
I grew up in bumfuck nowhere with lots of dumbshits where I basically breezed through school and life and everyone thinks I was a genius. Before high school I actually believed that bullshit, but when I entered high school in an actual populated city with actual prodigies and genius that worldview was essentially crushed into nothingness.

I never got into the honor rolls and my academics never got past B's. However, even then I still somehow got successful with extracurricular and academic orgs enough to have a few notable achievements. I was still undeservedly praised for shit I am incapable of doing. This kind of shit happened even until after uni: people around me were better in every way possible (academics, activities, connections, athletics) but I still get ""successful"".

Now I'm working in an okay position in some nice company that got ""impressed"" from what I did on the interview with them. They offered me a position that is definitely a great deal for someone with no significant experience. However, I still can't shake the feeling of being a fraud. It's like I'm the only one who thinks I'm a fucking failure which would mean that everyone around me is very easily impressed, or that everyone is just giving me pity points for being so pathetic.

What the fuck is wrong with me /adv/? Everyone thinks I'm winning but every win I get I feel more and more like shit.
>>
>>18497325

the world isn't divided between geniuses and retards. most of us are somewhere in the middle, and like you said you are probably 'above average'.

so whats wrong with being there? you act like unless you're a genius you deserve absolute shit. maybe NO ONE deserves absolute shit a long as they can do the fucking job, who cares what their actual IQ is?
>>
>>18497325
As a guy who has just been going through this at uni, i understand how much of a cycle it is. How disappointed with your own work you are and feeling out of your league or worrying about if someone calls you out on it.

You're comparing your own identity to others perceivable identity instead of valuing the stuff you've done off your own volition.
Have you considered seeking professional help? Even having someone to vent to about it helps a lot.
>>
I'm from a somewhat similar situation to yours, except I honestly think I'm a bit more of a free thinker. You are doing well for yourself, though, better than me. It's a good thing you moved during high school instead of after.

So what exactly do you need help with, again? Why exactly do you feel like a fraud?
>>
Can you stop being a nigger please? You get offered and praised for what you do and you want to throw it away because you don't FEEEEEEL like you're good enough.
>>
>>18497374
>>18497361
>>18497328
I just want to know how I could stop living with an ominous feeling of the day when I start fucking up and get unmasked as someone who isn't what everyone thought he was. I wanna be in the middle of the bell curve again, but my position really is a lose-lose situation for me.

In any case it's either I push myself too hard, bite off more than I could chew, or people start expecting too much from me and I stretch myself thin to the extent of what I can do. I'll become a fucking fraud when that happens. Saddest shit is I never asked for any of this, I would've loved to have an inflated ego because all the praise back then but now I just wanna know how I can stop hating myself for being an overrated shit.

>>18497375
I'm pretty positive that it's not just fee-fees anon. I don't know what's wrong with a sense of self-awareness to what you're capable and incapable of doing.
>>
>>18497400
Jesus Christ. Go to a shrink and tell them you have imposter syndrome and then they'll work out why you're so fucked.
>>
>>18497400

again, not overrated. people know you aren't an actual genius, no ones pushing you to win the nobel prize. you are over inflating what people say of you.

you are looked up to because you were smart enough and savvy enough to get 'a decent position at a company'. you arent even really all that successful but you're interpreting it as this 'big deal' when no one else is.

im in a similar position. i got hired to manage an entire business despite not goign to an actual college. but im smart enough to at the very least do well here and better than the last guy so who cares if im not a 'genius'?

you dont become a fraud i fpeoples opinions of you change.
>>
>>18497400
how much of this is actually happening and how much of it is totally in your head? do you think anyone even cares that you're from a small town with a lot of poor people? for one, you're not even talking about being cliqued up with classist fucks, you're talking about a professional environment. in a professional environment, people just want you to be somewhat pleasant and get your work done.

don't make it weird
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.