[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Obssesive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: OCD-cycle.jpg (99KB, 751x525px) Image search: [Google]
OCD-cycle.jpg
99KB, 751x525px
I would like to talk with others that have some type of OCD to see what you have done to try eliminate it or at least mitigate it.

In my case my OCD manifests itself with a strong obssesion with stupid things of my aesthetics or image like my hair, beard, etc., but mainly with my hair. I had long hair some years ago and then I dyed it blonde (some wicks) and the result was awful. Then my parents reaction against it was very strong and they got very angry with me. I think that episode affected me and was like some type of trauma for me because of the so strong and disproportionate reaction of my parents saying things like they didn't want to look to my face again and things like that. I was very sad and angry with that situation because I didn't understand how they could be so dispoportionate in their reaction. So I spent all day locked in my bedroom. Later I cut my hair and I think that since that episode I have had this obsession with my hair. Some time before I became obssesed with the idea of having long hair again and I felt bad because I hadn't the confidence to do it, to don't care about what my parents or people in general would say. Then I let my hair grow up to the shoulders (not so long as in the past). Finally I got obssesed with it again and decided to cut it again. Now I don't have the obssesion with having long hair again but now my obssesion is with how cut my hair. Now when I have the hair a little long and it starts to mess when there is wind and I feel it is moving with the wind and when I feel it a little in my forehead, I can't satand that, I feel insecure being in the street because of that.
>>
You can say that I could use some type of wax or spray hair but that is another part of my obssesion, that I don't want to use any product in my hair, only the necessary, like shampoo to wash it once a week. So finally, now I don't know what to do. I don't know if making a buzzcut, but I would feel bad also with that because I would think: "I am so insecure that I only can have a buzzcut and people will notice it" or cutting it a little more in the sides, making a fade or something. I don't want to do a fade either becuase I am tired of see everybody with the same shit and I get sad seeing everybody with the same hair cut.

That's my obssesion with my hair. I know it's ridiculous and that's one of the reasons I can't talk about it and I feel worst because such a stupid and not important thing is affecting me so much, but it affects me very much. One of the compulsions that I have related to that is repeating phrases in my head all the time like: "my hair short so I don't need to comb it". I have learned that is a type of compulsion called neutralising, you repeat a phrase in your head or with your voice to try eliminate the obssesion but it only makes it worst.

I have had the same OCD with the beard for example but it has mostly dissapeared because in the past I had long beard but now I am shaving and I only let it grow a little, not so long. That gives me some hope that it could be the same with the hair but with the hair the obssesion is stronger because even doing a buzzcut I think I would feel bad and the obssesion will continue with another thing.

I have other little obssesions like, obssesion with order or things like that but they don't affect me so much. This obssesion with the hair affects me every day.

Ok, I think that is enough. I know that nobody will read this because is too much long, my english is not good and is a stupid problem but I needed to write it down because I have learned that it helps.

Anyway we can talk about OCD in general here.
>>
>>18497273
I have OCD as well OP. And I can relate with the whole hair thing. I hardly washed it or did anything with it and I got bullied for it on a regular basis. So since grade 9 before leaving the house my hair has to be at least passable if not looking it's best. Whenever I go to school or work now I carry a hair comb in my bag. That has to be the most tame side effect of having OCD. The obsessive thoughts drive me nuts dude. Loads of fun
>>
>>18497327
>The obsessive thoughts drive me nuts dude.
For me OCD is the worst thing. I now there is worst psycological problems but OCD affects me every day and it only needs a little trigger to come up again like seeing a guy guy long hair or with a good looking hair style that I don't feel confidence to do and the ocd comes again.

I have other psycological problems that affect me as well, like fear to speak in public or fear to figths but those fears only affect me when I am in those situation, not daily. That's because OCD for me is so much worst.

One thing I do similar to you carrying a comb everywhere to be perfectly comb always is not open the car windows because I don't stand the wind messing my hair.

How long have you being lie that, doing those things?
>>
>>18497370
Well I have struggled with the disorder since I was about 7 years old. But I have been doing the haircomb thing for 6 years or so. On the upside I do get compliments on my "flow" that my hair has
>>
>>18497416
Have you gone to the pshycologist for it?
>>
>>18497427
Yup. Most of my adolescence I went to therapy and it got a lot better from where I was. Still need therapy but because of other issues now
>>
>>18497273
OP trust me I know that feel. If you didn't have obsession over your hair it would be something else. I personally got obsession over brain damage but it's a ton of things. I always need to be worrying about something and it sucks because I can't turn it off. I always have to find some reason to say why my life is ruined (I keep it to myself though, very rarely tell anyone else aside from close family).

I don't know how to treat it OP except excercise, healthy diet and staying on top of that. I notice it gets better from that but otherwise it's hard to say. it feels like a fucking curse. I've had it since I was 13 and it's been over a decade now.
>>
>>18497604
This desu
>>
>>18497604
>If you didn't have obsession over your hair it would be something else.
Yes, this happens to me too and that's the reason I feel hopeless about it. Because when you remove the obssesion with one thing, for example in my case the beard thing, then appears other obssesion like with what shave my face if with an electric or manual shaver. Or other things, the obssesion continues with other things.

> it sucks because I can't turn it off.
One of the things I have learned baout OCD is that you can't control what pops up in your mind and the more you try to stop thinking about something the more your mind will think about it.

>I always have to find some reason to say why my life is ruined
I do the same, it's called introspection. Is one of the compulsions of OCD. You try to fin the reason why you are like this and why you have OCD and that only makes you keep engaged with the obssesive thoughts.

I want to share with you this channel. It's a pshycologist that talks about OCD. It has helped me to at least understad it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/23katied/videos
>>
I've had OCD for years and my obsessions have changed a couple of times as well. I have done the therapy, behavioral mod, and have been on meds for years. The meds have definitely helped. I'm much more relaxed and less obsessive. Not completely gone but mostly.
>>
>>18497768
>I have done the therapy, behavioral mod,
I'm going to the psycologist soon too. Can you explain me how the therapy is?

>and have been on meds for years.
What type of meds they gave you?
>>
>>18497273
Mine is Pure-O OCD. It's been really bad for around 6 months but it's starting to go down a little bit (less frequent, less intense.) It's been hell.
>>
>>18498685
My main compulsion is neutralising that is a compulsion of pure-o.

What have yo done or change to slow down the compulsions?
>>
>>18497273
just say goodbye to your obsessions when you realize it does wrong to other around you and yourself
>>
My OCD is pretty much cured at this point, thank god. There are times when I have an intense OCD episode, but I have learned to handle them and they aren't very frequent. Hang in there, guys. It can get better.
>>
>>18497273
My sister has it and also a bachelor in psychology so she self treats.

Her obsession is her home being burgled or burning down while shes gone. The compulsion is touring her house for fire hazards, turning the stove on and off repeatedly. Then shell lock the door, get in her car, get out, lock the door, then repeat 3 times, then be paranoid all day.

Im not sure exactly what she did to get over it, but i know a big part of it was after work shed have the need to rush home to make sure everythings ok.

So instead she made the conscious decision and forced herself to always stop on the way home to grocery shop, or get a coffee, or take a walk.

Basically teaches her brain that the speed she goes home makes zero difference in the door being locked or not etc.. Pretty sure she also started taking pictures of the oven off, and short video of her locking the door so she has a reference at work.

Then when she gets to work she'll delete the pics and videos as a conscious action of trust in herself.

I recently lived with her and her husband for 5 months for work. She doesnt behave any way at all like she used to so she seems to have made a lot of progress.

This all depends on how your ocd manifests of course.
>>
>>18497604
>If you didn't have obsession over your hair it would be something else.

This is so true.

But it's funny how it always feels the the current manifestation of the OCD is the worst possible thing.

My big one at the moment (several years actually) is obsession over going to the bathroom. I get really worried that I am going to wet myself (which has never happened in adult life) so I restrict fluids and think about it all the time, try to calculate the amount of liquid I've had, have to get anywhere I go early to scope out the toilets and use them. Have to go every hour so I'm always checking the time.
I prod at my bladder to try and see how much liquid is in there.
I have images going through my mind of how weak the urethra is and it just giving way and my clothes getting all piss covered and everyone seeing.
I suffered from some trauma which I think contributed to it, it made me sort of dissociate from my genital region and try to control it etc.

>>18498685
My poor bff has this kind. He's terrified of molesting a child (he's not attracted to them at all) and of hurting people, punching pregnant women in the stomach, shit like that. He'd never hurt a fly he just has it going round and round in his head until he is scared to leave his house in case he pushes someone in front of a bus or something.
>>
>>18499574
>dépends how it manifests.

I didnt finish the thought sorry.. But its basically countering yourself.

When the wind hits your hair dont fix it or look at it and continue with your day. Remind yourself and talk yourself through the fact nothing bad happened to you as a result.

Shit like that. But im no doctor so though it may seem like a reasonable thing to me i could be wrong. Just a suggestion.
>>
I've had OCD for over 5 years and I'm mostly functional. Everything >>18497737 says its what helped me. Also, a bunch of meds but those are for stabilizing you so you can work on your problems without the agony that OCD brings.
>>
>>18499560
If it would be so easy it wouldn't be a problem.

>>18499574
I have those type of thoughts too. That I let the stove on so the house will burn. It's a minor obssesion and doesn't affects me so much as others but yes I do that sometimes too. Checking things before leaving the home, thinking I left a light on or don't close the door, etc.>>18499577

>My poor bff has this kind. He's terrified of molesting a child (he's not attracted to them at all) and of hurting people, punching pregnant women in the stomach, shit like that. He'd never hurt a fly he just has it going round and round in his head until he is scared to leave his house in case he pushes someone in front of a bus or something.
Really terrifying. It's amazinf how OCD can manifets itself in so many ways.

>>18499582
>When the wind hits your hair dont fix it or look at it and continue with your day. Remind yourself and talk yourself through the fact nothing bad happened to you as a result.
I do that, trying to don't care about it and don't care if the wind mess my hair. It helps a little but for me hasn't be the soultion. You talk about reminding you or talk to yourself about thet it doesn't care... I do that to but the problem is that when you talk about it to yourself you are remembering it too, so it keeps you engage with the thoughts too.
>>
>>18499574
I'm no expert but I think this is important

How I dealt with my thoughts before I even considered it was OCD was literally telling it to go fuck itself

"Go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself."
Over and over and over until I was thinking about something else
And "I don't fucking care. Fuck you. Shut the fuck up." Etc

Whenever I had the "do it or else bad things will happen" I told it "go ahead. Do it."

Eventually you realize that although it's a part of you, it is not who you are. It does not control you.

"You have no power here" helped a lot with this last step
>>
>>18500863
>"You have no power here"
are you being serious? That sound like an exorcism.
>>
>>18497273
i was diagnosed a long time ago and my symptoms are quite strong but pretty functional in nature
i obsess about breathing
i obsess about blinking
if i rub the tips of my fingers one way, they will feel absolutely, and physically horrible until i rub them back the other way, the tips of my fingers especially but pretty much any part of my skin

i have a strong feeling of what is currently the "right" orientation to be facing and try to act natural while getting to that direction

and these aren't merely suggestions
i feel ill if i do not satisfy them, i cringe and my skin crawls, and feel satisfied if i do
i have strange ideas of energies flowing in and out of my body, that i've had ever since i was a child, i tense the muscles in my hand to expel energy if i am feeling like it's overflowing, and i can physically feel it leaving, this is satisfying and probably not real

my obsession with breathing has lead me to hyperventilate more than a few times
i have trouble letting my body take back control of that

in fact i have trouble not doing anything deliberately

people tell me i move strangely
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.