[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I tell my parents I want to join a fraternity without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: chadthunder.jpg (56KB, 560x602px) Image search: [Google]
chadthunder.jpg
56KB, 560x602px
How do I tell my parents I want to join a fraternity without them freaking out? I don't quite know their stance on frats, and I frankly wanted nothing to do with them until my friend dragged me along to their rush event yesterday. I met so many people who were into sciences (I'm an aerospace eng major) and were extremely smart (their average gpa is higher than my school's overall average gpa). I just loved the general vibe of the frat and felt like they'll really help me become a better person, and all the alumni from them are so fucking rich. I want to be successful and social, so I feel like this is the best choice for me. However, if I tell my parents I want totry to get bidded, they might murder me. How do I tell them it's for the better?
>>
Why do you need to tell them? And ignore the incoming posters who know nothing about frats beyond what they saw in movies
>>
Are you expecting them to pay for it?
And/or are they paying for your education?

If the answer is no then their opinion doesn't matter.

But if you were my kid and wanting me to pay for it I'd tell you to fuck off with the overpriced rich kid club so you can get laid and drink instead of studying
>"B-but maaawwwwmmmm it's not about partying!!!1 It's about netwooorrrkking and unity and shit"
No it's not. Its about being at the college equivalent of the "cool kid table" and serves no purpose to academics.
>>
>>18495065
Yeah, I'm expecting the shitposting and all that, but it's because they're paying for my college tuition and kinda deserve to know what's going on in my life there
>>
>>18495074
You have it backwards, they pay ME to be there. The only thing I have to pay for is housing, which is dirt cheap. Other than that, they pay for tuition, sometimes food, etc. It's different for every school
>>
>>18495080
Every frat has dues. Tell me your school that supposedly pays for their students to drink and fuck one another like rabbits.
I'll wait.
>>
>>18495080
You'll have to sell it to them the way you tried to sell it to us. Don't mention the stereotypes or frame it like "I know frats are X but ACTUALLY...." And tell them you think you could really benefit from this. If you really want it that badly, get a part time job to pay your dues.

>>18495074
The last part is basically true, but it's funny that people like you couldn't get bids if you tried. Sour grapes
>>
>>18495107
I never went for the overpriced rich kid club because I have far better things to spend my money on. Like my education. I knew it was a scam from the get go, even more so than college is in general.

Also I'm a woman anyway.
>>
>>18495060
Same way you persuade anybody of anything. Consider what they want (e.g. for you to be happy or successful), and present a logical argument for why X is useful or necessary for them to get what they want. Describe what frat life will mean for you in order to counter any misconceptions or stereotypes they might have. Emphasize the positive aspects, downplay or offer assurances on the negative aspects.
>>
>>18495114
>muh college is a scam
Maybe you'll get your associate's by 2020 if you work real hard at CC!
>>
>>18495130
You learn far more on the job than you ever will in a classroom. If you don't know that then congrats, you're exactly what colleges are looking for, extremely stupid fuckers with lots of mommy and daddy's money.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.