[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Left my software job 3 weeks ago, tired of the work and team

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1298755071703.jpg (61KB, 366x380px) Image search: [Google]
1298755071703.jpg
61KB, 366x380px
>Left my software job 3 weeks ago, tired of the work and team
>been applying for kitchen jobs, got a trial shift on monday

What other jobs could I go for, either with or without a CompSci degree? I've never tried anything else apart from software dev, and it's not really a passion of mine.
>>
>>18493237
I suggest you to be 1 month full blown neet, adopt some sport like swimming and read this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupational_burnout

You probably like IT, you just took it too seriously. After a month apply for new jobs (maybe different type like admin, db, web, 3D, low level hardware something else) and learn how to not take your job so seriously.

I know dudes who implements features so SLOWLY it hurts. And when you ask them why, they reply
>so i dont have to start doing something else

Learn to chill. Throwing your experience (and degree?) away wont help you in the long run.
>>
>>18493245
Not against going back in the future at some point, but I've never experienced any other kind of job, and I think enjoyed more the fact that it was comfortable rather than because I wanted to do better at it.

Kitchen job I've gone for because food's a hobby and I wanted to try something new; actually be a bit busier and feel more useful, you know?

What I'm not sure of is what else to go for if it falls through.
>>
>>18493303
>feel more useful
Your usefulness for society is measured by your income in the age of capitalism. Yes that means being football star, anorectic fashion model or politician everybody hates is more useful that being doctor saving lives.

Try getting yourself into teaching. Try being lecturer at uni. Maybe telling kids about stuff will work better for you than actually doing that stuff.

Washing dishes will work for first 7 days. Do you do sport? Swimming works best for me. Maybe you just need to balance the brain VS muscles tiring ratio to feel ok.

>bonus question
What does your gf think about switching careers like that?
>>
>>18493303
Work in a kitchen with eye towards automation. I'd go back to being a line cook if it paid more or I could create cooL robots on the side.
>>
>>18493350
I disagree, income is not a measure of one's usefulness to society, it's a simple metric some people like to use so they can make snap decisions on a person's status and personality without considering the wider context.

I did fencing, but the only club is at the university, and they're gone for the summer, I go to the gym twice a week otherwise.

Last time I took a break it was for a really unproductive year, and I went for the software job in the end because it was familiar and a chance to move out closer to my friends.

I'm don't think I'm burnt out, I just need to at least try something new because I've always been too afraid to try different things and been too comfortable in whatever routine I carve out for myself.

Teaching I've thought about, but I figure I'd need more computing experience before jumping in, and it feels like as much of a commitment as going back into another software job.
>>
I was a kitchen man for 15 years, now I'm going to school for a BS in computer science. I want to be a developer.

In a major metro area, with 15 years experience, I never broke 50K a year. There are good things about restauranting, like waitresses, sometimes, a drinking and bar culture that might tangentially get you laid, too. Action, masculine values and work environment.

This only goes for High-class kitchens in competitive markets. Working in the kitchen will NEVER net you good money, I'm going to just make that prediction for you. YOu'll be surrounded by losers, the conditions will make you break out in acne, it will be far hotter than you expect.
>>
>>18493718
I'm not expecting good money, I usually try to be organised on that front.

What I'm looking for is a change because I never tried anything different, even if it's only temporary before going back into dev work.

I knew a guy who got a software job at the place I just left with a Chemistry degree; if you can show the technical skill and you get lucky, you can definitely get a junior role somewhere.
>>
File: handshakedadcowboyup.png (602KB, 490x408px) Image search: [Google]
handshakedadcowboyup.png
602KB, 490x408px
>>18493237
"It's all about pulling yourself up by the bootstraps and showing that can-do attitude, champ. All you need to do show up, speak with the manager, give him a firm handshake, and tell him you want the job."
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.