[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I "dumb" myself down?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: LAIN GRIFFITH.png (317KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
LAIN GRIFFITH.png
317KB, 720x480px
>Talk to a girl
>Use your normal vocabulary
>Your normal vocabulary being filled with "rare" and "complicated" words
>Always need to rephrase myself so she could understand
>Doesn't happen exclusively with her, but with most of my friends as well

What do I do? With my friends it's easier, because I don't need to impress or to try to dumb myself down, I can just explain it. But I don't want the girl I like to think I'm condescending and fake.

Pic semi-related.
>>
>>18491157

Maybe stop hanging out with retards instead?
>>
>>18491161
This!
>>
>>18491161
But they are fun and supportive ):
And they aren't actually stupid or anything. I think. I believe. I hope.
>>
>>18491157
You let her talk, it's what she wants, and you mostly nod and agree, you don't need a lot of vocabulary for that.
>>
>>18491161
>>18491169
It literally happens to me with everyone, not just my friends.
With my parents, with strangers, with co-workers, etc etc.
I rarely meet anyone with a similar vocabulary.
>>
>>18491161
I know what this Anon said sounds rude and shit like that, but it's 1000% true. The only reason you'd want to talk to someone that is many times dumber than you is to get into her pants. If you're looking for something that is more serious and long-term, then dubs someone that's on your intelligence level or higher. An emotional connection imo is more important than a physical one.
>>
>>18491172
She's not a talker so far. I tried having her to talk by asking her stuff like
"How was this"
"When was this and how it went"
But she mainly answered me with short sentences. She did laugh from my jokes and showed interest though.
>>
>>18491178
See:
>>18491173

Everybody is just stupid except for me? I'm finding this hard to believe.
>>
Any other advice?
(Aside of "don't hang with retards")
>>
Remember that all you need to do is get your ideas through, slowly try to use simple words
>>
>>18491196
Give examples of words she didn't understand.
>>
>>18491157
Can you list a few of these words your using.
>>
>>18491183
>Everybody is just stupid except for me?
Maybe you're just a pretentious fuck
>>
>>18491230
In our language, the word for "Theme" is "Tema" (There are few words for this, but I mainly use "tema"), and it's not commonly used but can be understood by knowing english and understanding the context. (She finished english on 100 so idk why she didn't get it)

More words she (and many other people) didn't recognize:

Gyroscopic
Transcendental
Articulation

*Reminding we're not native English speakers, but we fuse our vocabulary with many languages and especially with English
>>
>>18491157
It's called 'code switching'.

Have fun doing it when you're with your college friends and you run into your blue collar friends.
>>
>>18491157
I know that feeling. I have a large vocabulary and a kind of formal way of speaking from a "Notice me! Hey, look how smart I am, everybody!" phase I went through while I was still in school. Never quite been able to shake it. Then again, I'm a misanthropic sperg who has decent social skills but just chooses not to use them a lot of the time because I don't care to talk to most people.
>>
>>18491238
Those are not everyday words and unless you're using technical terms, that's not the time and place for them. Are you autistic?
>>
>>18491250
I do say the word for "theme" a lot, the rest were technical.
And I say words around that level (in my language) quite often. (With the proper context, of course)

And I might be autistic. I'm going to check it soon.
>>
>>18491250
Here is my last semi-ironic message to my friend (fully translated)

"Eat a dick as you gaze into the abyss while taking notice in it's ironic perspective, for as you look down on it it looks up for you which hints about the amusing irony of life which control every aspect of our day-to-day living"

All of these words I use on a regular basis. ("But anon, why did you write such a long message?" It's a joke where I use my vocabulary to confuse and fuck with them. It's actually how I speak [only longer])
>>
>>18491264
Have you heard of plain English (or whatever language you speak)? Sounds like you could do with a class or two in it. Long sentences are pretentious, confusing and make you look like an asshole.
>>
>>18491276
I KNOW WHICH IS WHY IM TRYING TO "DUMB MYSELF DOWN"
ITS LITERALLY THE TITLE OF THE THREAD
It's just how I usually speak (both in english and in my native language) most of the time.

>I have a problem, and it's X. It makes me sound condescending. here is an example - B
>Anon response to B - "O M G YOU SoUND CONDESCENDING"
>NO FUCKING SHIT RETARD
>>
Girls and most men are pretty stupid and people in general like to think that they're smarter than people around you (especially if you're trying to seduce a girl, if she's attracted to you she wants to think she can outsmart you and has control of the relationship) but the biggest thing you can do outside of learning how to shorten your sentences is to speak less and learn how to get others to speak more. If you can do that then you shouldn't have that many problems.
>>
>>18491445
Best advice on this thread so far.
Thanks!

THREAD IS DOWN GUYS, ABORT ABORT
>>
>>18491157
pls use smaller words you are alot smarter than me
>>
>>18491157
I imagine you talk like this OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqYV-GLnxQU
>>
>>18491157
If this happens often, then you are the dumb one who can't communicate with people.
Any moron can memorize words, but it takes skill to relate to other people
>>
>>18491180
Find out what she likes and talk about it in some meaningful way. Warning she will most likely gab about it autisticly.

t- Introvert
>>
>>18491356
>guys I'm totally smarter than everyone else
>that's why I can't talk to people, it had nothing to do with my abysmal social skills
>>
>>18491356
Just talk exacty how you talk here. It's normal. That "Joke" you did doesn't make any sense. Long winded dramatic things like that only work if they make gramatical sense and if they're in person.

People are going to read that and roll their eyes, you just want to flex your superior vocab. If you want to do that, start roleplaying online.

People can probably see right through you. Just reading your posts it's obvious you get a kick out of feeling intellectually superior.
>>
>>18491264
What a terribly constructed sentence. I don't think you need to dumb yourself down anymore.
>>
>>18491157
You're talking normal right now. Maybe you're just socially awkward in person.
>>
>>18491238
Maybe don't use the acronym for the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency when you are speaking English? If you want to speak English, speak actual English. You should try speaking in one language at a time.

As far as the other 3, those are words many native English speakers may not pick up on. I'm a bit curious what you are talking about that has you using words such as "gyroscopic" and "transcendental". Be a little forgiving that someone might not recognize those words.

That's what I do.
>>
Give us examples of real sentences that are confusing people. Not "gyroscopic".
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.