[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finding the right career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: apathy.jpg (53KB, 1280x800px)
apathy.jpg
53KB, 1280x800px
How would I go about figuring out a career to get into. I am generally interested in STEM, but there hasn't been anything that really makes me motivated. I can't seem to care about anything for very long.
If you came into a career from a similar position how did you find / decide on what to do?
>>
Alternatively, does anyone know how to get rid of apathy.
My life feels like I'm watching a movie from a distance.
>>
Took a year off after high school to work, also talked with an education counsellor who helped me land my current job through education.
>>
>>18490420
Do you enjoy your work? or do you do it purely out of necessity?
>>
Its my destiny to fade into obscurity i suppose.
>>
>>18490365
try xoloft or prozac. They can help you focus.
>>
>>18490365

Think about when you wake up in the morning to go to work. What would make you think "I can't wait to go to work"?
Then find an actual career that is the closest to that one and is not a burden to your family (arts, gender studies, lol) and there you go
>>
>>18490509
I don't have any realistic ideals in my head of what any career entails. For example if I were do think about engineering, all i have is a childlike idea of what engineers do. I can't really make a decision based on that.
>>
>>18490498
I sort of think prozac is to blame for making me this zombie. I had severe depression before, and now after being on prozac and quiting cold turkey everything is so bland and dull. Everything goes by and I barely seem to notice.
>>
OP are you still there?
>>
We can't answer this for you OP. Perhaps your restlessness is a bigger issue that you don't realize. Maybe you should go to therapy.

It took me four years after high school to realize I wanted to be a computer programmer.
>>
>>18490862
Yes, I was the last two posts before yours.
>>
>>18490869
Maybe you're right.
I just don't know what to do.
My apathy just makes it hard to find something worth doing.
I just figured that somebody here would have been through something similar and I was curious as to how they may have solved it.
>>
>>18490877

I'm 22 in the same spot as you. I think it's not an easy option - I used to be interested a lot in science in high school. I ended up doing 1 year of chemical engineering and dropped out and tried a year of pharmacy school and I also disliked it. What you're interested now doesn't mean it will be something you'll want to do as a career so keep that in mind,
>>
>>18490365
If it feels good when you think about it and it feels good when you're doing it or start doing it or doing something related to it THEN THAT' IT.
>>
>>18490932
I wanted to do chemistry initially, but I couldn't decide and ended up picking physics for a major. I haven't taken anything but core classes though because I'm afraid I will not like physics and waste time on it.
Now I'm thinking I will switch to engineering, but then I wont be sure if I want to do mechanical, chemical, or electrical.
Maybe I won't know until I take my first physics class.
>>
>>18490995
Well, I believe for some people that is possible.
Some people can pick something up and its perfect for them. They just go into that and live happily ever after.
For me, I enjoy science, I enjoy history, I enjoy psychology, I enjoy art, I enjoy literature. There are several hobbies that I have gotten into shallowly and fallen out of.
My point is that my interests are too diverse to pick something that way.
Plus you've just described how I also feel about videogames, and those are worthless.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.