[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TLDR; Is it normal to be ribbed by people you just met, and is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
TLDR; Is it normal to be ribbed by people you just met, and is it bad form not to join them in their ribbing?

My friends took me to a party the other day and they introduced me to a guy, we'll call him Josh.

Josh asked what I was drinking and I said water, and he asked why I wasn't drinking booze. I said I was the DD, and that I never drank.

"What, you never drink anything?"

Just coffee and water.

"You drink coffee???"

This was huge to Josh. He started laughing. "Are you one of those guys who grinds their own beans and uses a french press and shit?"

I am, in fact.

He starts gut laughing. "Man, you spend hundreds of dollars on beans beans the magical fruit to take 15 minutes to make a drink that tastes like toots, and all I gotta do is this!" And then he took a guzzle of his Monster.

For the next hour I was "Mister Coffee". The conversation changed, but my moniker didn't. It was just weird.

Finally a friend asked what I was up to. I told him I was finally buying a house.

"You're buying a house?" Josh asks.

Yeah. Found a place near work, it just opened up, kitchen fully furnished, all I need to do is replace the carpets in the bedrooms with hardwood, really something I'm excited about.

Josh is silent for the rest of the night. When we leave, he says goodbye to everyone but me.

In the car my friends tell me I made the night incredibly awkward because "I didn't just go with Josh's flow".

Honestly, what was I supposed to do? Josh gets to laugh about me being Mr. Coffee all night but the minute I talk about something I want to talk about I'm the bad guy because Josh apparently is offended that I'm buying a house?

I don't get this. Nobody's giving me straight answers and this is annoying me.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G4IPEBpoad0
>>
>>18490186
Oh who knows, maybe your friends felt you were an autistic mess because you didn't engage with Josh being drunk
I don't know if people realize this but being around drunk people while sober is incredibly boring and makes it hard to have banter. The guy was messing around having fun but it was ON YOU, so it wasn't exactly polite. I don't know why anyone would be agitated that you didn't banter back with someone you're lightly being insulted by.

I'm not autistic but maybe I'm really missing something.
>>
It sounds like you're shit at banter. No one wants to hang out with someone's who's got a stick up their ass.
>>
>>18490186

Yeah, some people do it. It's their way of getting to know you and breaking the ice. Basically, they laugh at you to get you to laugh with them. By failing to play along and matching the banter, you indicated you're not the type of person this Josh wants to get to know, so he ignored you for the rest of the night. Your friend gave you shit about it later, because you sound like a stick in a mud and oversensitive. It's cool. Just try to chill out next time and don't take all sorts of Joshes so seriously.
>>
>>18490186
josh sounds like a cunt that didn't like something about you because of his insecurities so he made fun of you to up himself in the social hierarchy of the party. then you completely crushed his shit talking about buying a house when he seems like the type to not have his shit together. then he probably went and whined to other people about you being a weirdo/dick/autist/faggot/whatever because of his bruised ego. your friend likes josh as a person but that's because they're a follower and an idiot.

do you, fuck the haters. fuck people that insult you as a form of socializing.

that said, get gud at banter so you btfo anyone and everyone that tries it. some people are okay doing it in my book, some people really aren't. a random that insults me instead of introducing themselves and starting a conversation really isn't going to have a good time.
>>
>>18490238
misread, friends as in plural. yeah, your friends are followers and they're following an idiot. you stepped outside of the social hierarchy that josh has set up for himself. good on you. fuck social hierarchies led by idiots. I love stepping outside of them and then watching people lose their shit cause they just can't comprehend it.
>>
This is really autistic but you should have explained that coffee beans are relatively cheap, the French press is one of the simplest ways to make coffee that a caveman could do, and monsters cost like 3 dollars each
>>
>>18490238
I think he did btfo josh. Josh thought op was a big joke and then shut up when he found out op is buying a house. Josh might not be in a spot in life where he can even think of buying a house
>>
>>18490186
Ok two very interesting people here:
> OP the uptight austistic
> Josh the knob
Yeah it was just a bad clash of people.
Get over it.
>>
>>18490238
This, don't listen to the people saying that you're autistic. Josh sounds like a tremendous cunt.
>>
>>18490186
Because instead of laughing with him about the coffee, i mean fuck millions of people drink coffee, you were probably a stony faced fuck, i mean who takes offence to a name mister coffee, you should've embraced that shit, then after all that awkward bullshit yyou throw out you're buying a house, i mean i don't know why he would shut down because of that maybe he had a deep relisation that he should be buying a house n shit instead he is just going to parties and getting wasted or maybe he thought you were an up themselves snob so he muted you, both are possibilities. Word of advice learn to laugh at yourself
>>
>I said I was the DD

That is where the conversation should have ended. You give away too much about yourself to a jabroni stranger.
>>
>>18490414
a party.
conversation should have ended?
what should have happened. A PARTY.

>>18490186
Josh was just making conversation. If you want a meaningful conversation, do not go to a party. At parties, you have to do bullshit conversation. No other conversation allowed. Why did you go in the first place?
>>
>>18490186
I am one who likes to rib people a lot. However, Josh was being a idiot because if I start joking with someone I don't know who doesn't appreciate the humor, I immediately back off. Also I wouldn't be rude when leaving by not saying bye like a 2 year old. Even if I felt upstaged I would not have sulked and stopped talking to her. I've been to many parties and the convos go between serious and humorous and you have to flow with that. I've also seen the Josh types that think they are funnier than they are, have to be the center of attention, and after awhile just become obnoxious.
>>
>>18490186
I used to have this happen to me a lot. I thought of myself as a pretty polite person, didn't really say anything if people started poking fun at me. But the only way these kind of people will stop ribbing you is if you respond. You can still be decent, just let them know they don't get to pick you out. When facing a Josh, you just gotta roast him back.
>>
>>18490399
You don't need to be liked by everyone. Josh sounds annoying as fuck, who cares what he thinks of you.

Also OP is humble bragging throughout the post.
>>
>>18490238
>>18490242
You may not have handled it in the best way op, but this guy hit the nail on the head regarding the whole situation.

I know the josh types well. As long as someone seems popular or reputable, they try to befriend and treat with respect. Otherwise they'll poke and prod with "just banter" to see where you stand and assert themselves, even more so if you display meekness or overreact (the objective being to turn you into a useful idiot). If you slight those types' ego, which can happen very easily, then some degree of character assassination is the usual next step for them.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.