[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Smoking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 1496834262502.jpg (58KB, 396x282px) Image search: [Google]
1496834262502.jpg
58KB, 396x282px
How can I get my boyfriend to quit tobacco?
It hurts seeing him destroy himself smoking and getting sick because of it!
>>
You can't change other people. You can barely change yourself. Your choices are:

-Learn to live with it.
-Talk to him about it (I assume you've already done this and he has refused on whatever basis)
-Leave him.

You can only control the things in your realm of influence. Unfortunately, his smoking habits aren't in that sphere. Learn to accept what you cannot change.
>>
>>18488304
Come on... there are a lot of people smoking for 50-60y living up to 90.
>>
>>18488325
The exception does not prove the rule.
>>18488315
He is willing to try ecigs and trying to cut down on nicotine gradually, I would suggest him quit cold turkey as most people do it that way.
He also always only smokes spliffs, I don't care about the weed but tobacco is much worse.
>>
>>18488337
>>18488337
>>
It isn't easy, first you need to brow beat him enough that he agrees he should stop. Then you've got to get him used to cold turkey from nicotine which can be quite unpleasant sometimes. Those two things alone should keep you nagging for six to nine months. After that it's the long haul and maybe you'll both need to change your lifestyles to make it successful.
>>
>>18488337
>He is willing to try ecigs and trying to cut down on nicotine gradually, I would suggest him quit cold turkey as most people do it that way.
>He also always only smokes spliffs, I don't care about the weed but tobacco is much worse.

So what's the issue? Sounds like he's making progress?
>>
>>18488337
Cold turkey is shit for any substance. You need to taper, fool. Doctors understand this, normals don't. It's cool for rock songs and Hollywood movies but in reality it's the worst method to quit an addictive drug.

If he's willing to try e-cigs let him use e-cigs. Straight nicotine is on a scale less harmful than combustion of tobacco.
>>
>>18488412
I just want to help really
>>
>>18488404
He's willing to do it but never actually makes the effort to do it...
And if I nag I might put him off
>>
Flush his cigars, break his cigs if he tries to light one up, break up if he smokes behind your back because that's "cheating" too
>>
File: 1499214965125.jpg (54KB, 566x480px) Image search: [Google]
1499214965125.jpg
54KB, 566x480px
>>18488531
This bait?
>>
Introduce them to cannabis, tell them better high, better skin. Fuck tobacco.
>>
>>18489006
He only smokes spliffs rolled with tobacco
>>
>>18488304
suggest that he switch to the e cig. it worked for me
>>
>>18488304
You don't. Barring significant life events and substantial internal motivation, people do not change. If you are not happy with him as he is, warts and all, you should end the relationship.
>>
>>18488412
Nicotine is very addictive, but not addictive enough that people lose sleep over when in withdrawals like they do with say heroin or meth. Cold turkey is absolutely doable.

OP, just convince him to quit it. Tell him you are afraid of losing him to sickness in the future and remind him that 50% of smokers die because of smoke related diseases.
>>
File: 4a1.png (88KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
4a1.png
88KB, 165x115px
>>18489032
or he'll just do what i do, which is smoke an e-cig inside and cigarettes outside
>>
>>18488412
I've never been able to taper off nicotine. I tried so many fucking times.

When I did finally quit, it was cold turkey with an added bonus: change of venue. I used to smoke in certain places and only at night, and leaving my old apartment (and thus my smoking places) took away my cues to smoke.

Some of my friends have reported the same, that their habits are highly conditioned by certain times or places. OP's bf needs to avoid those triggers.
>>
>>18489289
This is what seems to be the norm. Quitting cold turkey just works faster and better. He's just too much of a pussy to do it
>>
>>18488304
get him to replace nicotine with coffee.
Also, offer sexual favors for him not smoking. Knowing you will blow or fuck him if he doesnt smoke can be a powerful motivator.
>>
>>18490590
dont ever do this
sex is not a bargaining tool and every smoker knows coffee+cig in the morning=heaven
>>
>>18490597
Oh, god, that temptation.
>>
He's also got medical phobia but it's something you can overcome. Can i help?
>>
>>18488304
HE's addicted, get him nicotine patches/ gum ,vape kit.
>>
Convince him with anal
Make him vape instead of smoke
Say you'll break up with him because you can't stand the sight of him falling apart
>>
Why did you start a relationship with someone who reeks and doesnt respect the people around him?
>>
>>18488304
When my (now ex)gf and I got together, her friends boyfriend took me outside to talk over a cigarette. That was more or less my last one. I quit regular smoking for her just like that. Still had the occasional drunk smoke, but that was maybe 3 times in four years. After the breakup I smoked way too much, got a sore throat and stopped.
If he doesn't want to stop poisoning himself even if it's for you...
You know where this is going. Make him choose.
>>
>>18491077
I'm scared of losing him like that
>>
>>18488337
>I would suggest him quit cold turkey
If if was that easy then everybody would be doing it and *succeeding*
>>
>>18491515
Most people who quit do it like that. Only about 7% of smokers can actually quit
>>
start making him think about why he smokes. How he feels before he does it. How he feels after. Does he go out for awkward moments? If he smokes when he walks, go for some walks with him specifically without him smoking.
>>
Salvia. When doing it and after, a safe environment is mandatory.
>>
Eh. First off, I'm a newly recovered heroin addict, so I have a bit of experience with substance abuse and coming off them.

Ok first thing, he won't quit because you're hassling him to. He just won't, it doesn't work that way. Trust me on this.

The trick isn't stopping. Any fool can do that. The trick is staying stopped. That goes for anything.

The reason people smoke or do drugs, essentially, is it relieves stress. It's a way to cope, and without something else in the way of coping, you'll surely relapse. If you didn't it'd be like eating a bunch of Taco Bell and not taking a shit for the rest of your life. You've gotta have an outlet mate.
>>
>>18489275
Yes, people actually lose sleep when quitting nicotine. And cigarettes have more shit in them than just nicotine.

And people don't lose sleep when they withdraw from herion of meth, they get SICK. For fucks sake, some people die coming off of heroin. That's a bit more than losing sleep.
>>
>>18488337
>I don't care about the weed
you should. it's likely ruining your man's test levels and sperm count. also I can safely assume he's a loser that lacks ambition.
>>
>>18492832
Whatever. I lose sleep when I smoke, especially if I smoke after 8pm, and I sleep far better whenever I quit. It gives an ironic edge to relationships: I only smoke when single, so I end up sleeping far better when I'm getting laid.
>>
>>18492886
Quite the opposite.
He owns a successful business
>>
>>18492886
This is the gayest post I've read all day.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.