[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overcoming cynicism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: whatsinthebox.jpg (22KB, 575x316px) Image search: [Google]
whatsinthebox.jpg
22KB, 575x316px
I find that I'm mentally healthier lately, yet I have an all-encompassing cynicism that is putting all my friendships and relationships in an entirely new light.

If you're not aware of what it is, look up psychological egoism. I've made this observation about human behavior, and I didn't realize there was a name for it for awhile. It basically states that people are always motivated by self-interest.

This greatly concerns me. I see the attractive women on social media, who are showered in attention purely for being pretty. This demonstrates the concept clearly for me; People are only interested in people who have some sort of "value" they can extract from them. It sickens me. I feel like a piece of shit for being so shallow, and I'm not excluded from the group. I only talk to women I find attractive. I feel this is a disgusting way to live. We are all slaves to something instinctual and that saddens me deeply.

Even in friendships. We are only friends with those who we can relate. Who are humorous. Who we can have some sort of feel good chemical burst from. Our friendships take a very long time to become unconditional, and most of the time both of the friends respective value has gone down to each other before it can reach it.

The attractive, smart, wealthy, and those with status are flocked to, not because of their character, but because of people just wanting to be in the aura of their success. Maybe if I'm around the wealthy I'll get some money. Maybe if I'm around the attractive I'll get some dick or pussy. Etc etc etc

How to overcome this? How to not look at humanity in such a way? The more I grow older, the more I see humans as cogs to be manipulated, a very toxic thought. I still hold optimism towards humanity but it's just so sad to see people, myself included, act like this with blatant disregard for those in need.
>>
>>18488273
Humanity is a game, friend. That is not to say one should act without the fear of ultimate penalty for that would be breaking the rules!
What you do with the knowledge of knowing it's a game, is entirely up to you. Have fun with it, manipulate it like it's a toy. Whether it be creating art or starting a business.
You now have the comfort in knowing this.
>>
>>18488273
>How to overcome this?

Why overcome this? If this is the world, just live in it. Enjoy what you can enjoy and try not to be an asshole while you are at it, it's pretty simple.
>>
You're growing up, you see things as they are, but don't let that drag you down. A simple life is a happy one.
>>
An important thing to realize here, is that any major change comes from people with this understanding. In the same way that two tools put together make a better tool, all of the previous information that you have, that the past thousands of years have given you, makes a better you! So go out and help us connect better ya cunt
>>
>>18488293
>If this is the world, just live in it.

there is always one of you in the advice threads. Don't take this as an attack, but it seems like you're saying something just to put your 2 cents in. You have no real advice to give so you just say a line of shit everyone knows.

>Just live in it bro

Yeah, planned on it.

>Enjoy what you enjoy

Thanks?

>Try not to be an asshole

This is honestly good advice in this context, but still, nothing we aren't familiar.

I appreciate your time and I'm genuinely not trying to be a dick but that's just what I'm seeing with posts like that.

It's not simple. I'm a stubborn human being. I see something I don't like, I don't just roll over and accept it. That's just me.

>>18488286
This is an interesting take. I can kind of take it as an advantage, hopefully make a positive out of it.I'd rather not view the world this way but at least that's an alternative
>>
>>18488308
This seems to be what I'm realizing too.

>>18488313
Lol appreciate it nice advice f a m
>>
>>18488332

Thing is, your post is so basic you'll get two kind of responses: Obvious ones and people trying to pick a fight.

Either they will tell you to change your outlook, or say "Yeah, life is life." Even the "interesting" post above mine is basically "do what everyone else is doing and enjoy".

Not let me ask you back: What do you expect to come off this post? The OP I mean, not your reply to me.
>>
>>18488346
>Post above yours says do what everyone else is doing

No, "life is a game" is a cliche everyone knows yes, but I don't think people really realize on the level that a person who uses 4chan does. I think 4chan users tend to be a little smarter than average. Do you think most people think their friends just use them for feel good brain chemicals? Or that they've cut out entire populations of people from communication just because they don't find them sexually attractive?

Probably not, if we're being honest.

And anyways, his advice was basically use the knowledge to at least manipulate the game to my liking.

Yours was

>Just accept it bro lol

What I really expected or wanted was more advice of avoiding thinking like this, maybe seeing human interaction in a different way than I do. Something more spiritual perhaps. But the advice so far has been good in a "make of it what you will, it's your choice" type of way.
>>
>>18488366
>I think 4chan users tend to be a little smarter than average

I'll leave this here. Good night everybody.
>>
>>18488378
Not an argument
>>
You know, you could spin it further and argue that it's all just chemical reactions and some form of energy going from state A to state B. And this is all of life and there's nothing more to it. The end.
It's an idea that's very comfortable to adopt, as analytical and logical thought is very integrated in our everyday lives. In the same manner it is intuitively the next logical step to kind of dismiss it all as some causal chain of reactions. But accepting that there's nothing more to it is hard, I suppose? Your feelings of uncontrollable anger, of love, isolation, happiness - this all seems so undeniably real, but for some reason we're all bound to rationally devalue it, because it's easy. Of course all those true feelings are nothing more than some event inevitably caused by all other events, but that doesn't make it any less valuable.

I can't be bothered to structure this any better, I hope you understand what I mean.
>>
>>18488273
>How to overcome this?
By realizing you're just another not-too-bright young male with a typical young male mentality: you think you know how everything and everyone works, and you assume that the way you think and behave is the way everyone thinks and behaves.

It's not.

>How to not look at humanity in such a way?
Pull your head out of your ass. "All people are like this" should strike you as an obviously false proposition. Are you a shallow piece of shit? Well, that's you. Don't assume this of everyone else.

>act like this with blatant disregard for those in need.
Then act otherwise. Go help someone who needs help. You're going to find there are plenty of people who do this. This isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. You don't have to sacrifice everything you are and have to help people, in order to help people, or somehow it's not "real".
>>
>>18488439
>by realizing you're just another not-too-bright young male

That's all well and good, but psychological egoism is a concept proposed by people who were much smarter than you or me. Are you saying they're dumb for having the exact same idea?

Too often these advice threads turn into "you're just young and dumb hurrr". I think outside of a family context, and outside of acting charitable, most people are self-interested. I'd actually say that nearly all of them are, you and I included. I'm not saying people don't help those in need sometimes, I'm saying that people are slaves to biology and chase after things that are just based on instinctual needs to breed and be successful. We chase the pretty girl while the extremely ugly one is ignored, no matter how incredible her personality is. Obviously a generalization but very much the case with most of humanity.

It's also often that everyone takes everything literally. I'm not saying this is what happens 100 percent of the time, I'm saying this is how the vast majority of us operate.

>Are you a shallow piece of shit? Well that's you. Don't assume this of everyone else.

Everyone else is, though. I HIGHLY doubt you're hitting up burn victims because of their winning personality, and I highly doubt anyone else is. This is my point. People are slaves to instinct, to discount this or simply say I can only say so for myself is stupid.

>You don't have to sacrifice everything you are and have to help people, in order to help people, or somehow it's not "real".

Idk when I even implied it. When I say in need, I mean the loner depressed suicidal, the one's society has forgotten because they cannot extract value from them. This is a GENERALIZATION.

>>18488401
I get your point. Take that thought to its logical conclusion. I get it.
>>
>>18488498
>I get your point. Take that thought to its logical conclusion. I get it.
Well quite the opposite. I rather meant that all these - I honestly don't know the precise terms for it - deterministic, naturalistic ideas, these notions that somehow resonate well with evolution, or will to power, will to pleasure, etc., are bound to create a very distinct type of weariness (?).
And because you've asked how to deal with it - since that pain follows almost all rational thought, the only way to deal with it is to follow the more intuitive, emotional side of being. Or stay on a small scale with your thoughts, like the natural sciences.
>>
>>18488546
No no that's what I meant, make the thought seem irrelevant by taking it to it's logical conclusion.
>If I keep thinking along x terms this is what the result is, so I don't go down that road
>>
>>18488551
Ah I see! I kind of got the wrong idea, since you mentioned used the term "conclusion".
>>
>>18488498
Since you seem to be obsessed over "must fuck pretty girl", my own personal anecdote: when I was younger, I had a similar thought. When I got a pretty girlfriend though, I realized that I didn't like her. It taught me two things: fucking isn't that big a deal and being pretty doesn't mean being desirable to be around.

My desire for someone is now based around personality. There is a certain threshold of attractiveness where my dick will get hard, but the more awesome the personality, the lower that threshold is. What makes for fulfilling sex to me isn't how physically attractive my partner is, it's how I feel about her.

I suspect your response to this is most likely going to be "oh, you're lying or desperate" or "if this is true you're different from everyone else". You're deeply invested in the thought that you know everything and that your opinion is close enough to a universal truth that it might as well be the universal truth.

And for most young guys, it's so you have an excuse. For being shitty when you know you shouldn't be. For being lazy when you know you shouldn't be. For not having a pair of balls to step up and do what's right. For not having a pair of balls when you're afraid of rejection or mockery. For protecting yourself from feelings of low self-esteem by saying "well everyone's like this".

At some point it's likely that you're going to grow up. You'll be more secure in your sense of self. You'll discover the things that are actually important and meaningful to you regardless of how you think other people see them.

And everything that everyone does is selfish from the literal standpoint that all actions come from self: there is no remote control by which one person controls the actions of another.

That doesn't mean that people can't care for other people, or that the selfish actions of one person cannot benefit or be INTENDED to benefit another without expectation of material return.
>>
>>18488273
why is it psychological egoism and not healthly narcissism? It's cute how you think you found something out though.

https://youtu.be/CBkc8Pm9_x8?t=1m18s
>>
>>18488695
>>18488695
>Doesn't even understand what psychological egoism is
>"Hurrr durrr cute"
>>
>>18488601
>>18488601
Appreciate the little jabs throughout

>You're just dumb
>You're obsessed

The must fuck pretty girl is an easy to understand example, not an "obsession"

You are still acting out of self-interest in getting a gf who has a good personality according to your standards.

>You're deeply invested in the thought that you know everything

Nope, I'm very aware of my ignorance of everything.

>Your opinion might as well be a universal truth

Never said that, I'm actually trying to find a way to move forward and not look at it the way I do, or differently.
>>
>>18488332
confirmation bias. you see what you want to see. Soren Kirkeigard has the clearest outlook to me. I'm sure I butchered his name but you should look into his philosophy. also, check out machine gun preacher, it's a bretty good film concerning human selfishness.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.