[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving from Europe to the USA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: tfw europoor.png (378KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
tfw europoor.png
378KB, 960x768px
I'm relocating from Europe to Seattle area in 3 months and I'm having hard time finding myself a flat/room.

I've been hunting flats on craigslist non fucking stop for 3 weeks and there are hardly any offers for fall and even fewer offers for flats/rooms located in a tolerable distance to my workplace. But the fucking worst thing is that I have encountered as many as ELEVEN scam attempts, varying from textbook scams to sophisticated schemes. So far, I have "met" only one person who appeared to be real, but couldn't accept my offer for the simple fact that I'm literally on the other side of the world.

There are problems with the fact that I can't go view the flats, can't do any shitty background checks and credit scores (No SSN, the fuck is even that?)

Any advice about what I should do to secure myself a flat? Do you know any trustworthy sites where I could rent a room for much more than on craigslist, but I wouldn't have to be paranoid about sending the cash to some stranger on the other side of the world?

Also, FUCK THOSE SCAMMER CUNTS, MAY NIGGERS RAPE THEM IN HELL
>>
Fuck off we're full.
>>
>>18485321
https://www.padmapper.com/apartments/seattle-wa
>>
>>18485321
Bellinghamster (from between Seattle and Vancouver) here. Washington sucks for finding apartments from afar. Most places have very low vacancy rates, so landlords are looking to rent the same day stuff becomes available. Often they won't even talk to you if you're from out of town, because they know they'll get someone coming in the rental office later the same day. Be prepared to spend your first week or two in a motel until you can luck out and get an apartment; I wasn't able to get one until I was physically in town (moved from another state).

You mention textbooks, so you're a university student. See if your university's international student center has any recommendations or even an international student housing board where foreign students look for roommates among the other international students or offer each other subleases.

SSN is social security number; rental companies that operate apartments should be smart enough to know that international students won't have those, but Washingtonians can be pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>18485365
If you're UW, try:

https://www.hfs.washington.edu/housing/Default.aspx?id=2394
http://www.ielp.uw.edu/housing/homestays/
>>
File: enough.jpg (120KB, 1118x1280px) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
120KB, 1118x1280px
>>18485365
Thanks for advice, bro. Well, by "textbook scams" I meant "classical ways to scam people".

Though I'm not a student, I have already successfully infiltrated ranks of the normies from UW in their facebook group, but they're letting flats only nearby UW. Well, guess I could settle for something like that in an act of desperation, but since I still have some time, I'll opt for something to the East of Seattle. Also, I would have to prepare my asshole for 1 hour commute each way between UW and my workplace.

The only person that appeared "real" on craigslist was some guy to introduced himself as an 56yo single man looking for a flatmate. He never told me the location of the flat, only told me the neighbourhood he lives in. On top of that, he doesn't want to sign contracts etc, prefers month to month payments. Do you guys think this is a scam as well? Or maybe he just wants to steal my kidneys?
>>
Why would you move to the US?
I heard most people are trying to move out.
>>
>>18485468
My guess would be work maybe?
>>
>>18485468
Work for three, four years, earn some money that allows me to buy a house back home without a bank loan. Additionally, get a master's degree for free (Although American education is far worse than the one at my home, but hey, if you finish """"AMERICAN"""" university, you're thought to be a prodigy of whatever.)

I'd call that a good deal.
>>
>>18485321
try staying in the cheapest possible motel / airbnb / hostel for your first few weeks, while you go out hunting in person. I moved to Canada and that's what I did
>>
>>18485581
How do you get a free masters in the USA? May I ask where are you from in Europe that you decide to move to USA for such a reason
>>
>>18485321

Seattle is one of the most unaffordable places to live in the U.S. It also has one of the lowest vacancy rates as well, meaning people just don't move out. All in all, you're kind of fucked, and unless you're making a shit ton of money you're basically going to be paying out the ass just to live in the city.
>>
>>18485860
Seattle is the ass end of Washington State. It's like going to a theme park that emulates the worst of 1980's and 1990's America but doesn't get the feeling right because it's designed and run by worthless commie hipsters most of whom don't remember the 80's or 90's but who did, like the operators of any theme park, price everything into absurdity. Prepare to pay extra taxes for everything, because commie shithole. It's honestly the worst introduction to America you could have, and nobody there has American values.

>>18485837
Protip: if you have good GRE scores and recommendations, and the school thinks you're going to be a worthwhile grad student, they'll offer you teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and fellowships that will pay for your tuition. Any grad student who really belongs in grad school can get a free ride. I did, all the way through my PhD. If you have to pay for grad school, it means that your professors don't think you're good enough to be in the program.
>>
>>18485321
>But the fucking worst thing is that I have encountered as many as ELEVEN scam attempts, varying from textbook scams to sophisticated schemes.
Also lots of scams around Silicon valley, and I got scammed despite exercising great caution and even making sure there was a very clear paper trail (bank transaction etc).

Turns out the US justice system is an arse pain. Good luck getting a court order to revert that bank transaction.

I can only advise you to meet people in person, let them show you the property, sign minimal paperwork with each other exchange them the first rent in cash against the key right as you move in.

> No SSN, the fuck is even that?
They'll practically all want a social security number, yea. It's what counts as your national ID for the USA.

I had a work visa and yet it took 2 weeks to get the SSN upon entering the USA so I could actually rent a room somewhere. Before you can almost only live in hotels or with acquaintances.

> credit scores
In my case, no one insisted on that one. Europeans just don't have it, mkay?
>>
>>18485837
I work for a large well corporation, and they cover the tuition and shit
>>
>>18485837
Also, Poland
>>
>>18485331
THIS

FUCK OFF YURPOOR
>>
>>18485331
>>18486923
Well, I would more than gladly stay in my home country if only my new employer had an office there
>>
>>18485321
Does your employer have a relocation department? Often HR can help you find a place (and are more likely to know the right neighborhoods)
>>
>>18486968
>>18487267
Yeah, I've got two options :
1. they cover the costs of travel, rent a fancy apartment for 2 months and rent a good car for 45 days. They give me some spending money to boot.
2. They give me a lot of cash but I have to deal with everything myself. It's 3 times more than the total cost of option 1

The choice is obviously number 2,I've got everything figured out except for the flat
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.